Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: fare increases
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 pm
Posts: 17051
I have been looking at the fares league tables to see how we are looking. Our last review was 4 years ago and we are currently sitting at 284 in the league table. There are many councils who have not had a fare change since 2014 but I can't believe how many have not had an increase in over 10 years!!!

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
Posts: 1281
grandad wrote:
I have been looking at the fares league tables to see how we are looking. Our last review was 4 years ago and we are currently sitting at 284 in the league table. There are many councils who have not had a fare change since 2014 but I can't believe how many have not had an increase in over 10 years!!!



Benefit claimants subsidising their earnings in running a TAXI service,all quite legal but Councils who do not grant regular fare increases are to blame for licensees having to go down that road.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm
Posts: 21423
Location: A City near Birmingham
Our meter rates are 2012, our base "fixed fare" sheet fares are lower than meter and also 2012


I get more off my school run per mile and better mpg

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:06 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 40373
Location: 1066 Country
grandad wrote:
I have been looking at the fares league tables to see how we are looking. Our last review was 4 years ago and we are currently sitting at 284 in the league table. There are many councils who have not had a fare change since 2014 but I can't believe how many have not had an increase in over 10 years!!!

A lot of councils have taxi drivers that are prepared to run on starvation rates, and/or local reps that are clueless.

I take the view that councils have a duty to ensure the cab trade is viable, alongside their duties to ensure cab fares are not extortionate.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:07 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 40373
Location: 1066 Country
heathcote wrote:
Benefit claimants subsidising their earnings in running a TAXI service,

I think the above mainly applies to the PH trade. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 10797
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:
Benefit claimants subsidising their earnings in running a TAXI service,

I think the above mainly applies to the PH trade. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:


Don't you believe it we have one here where even the owners are registered as only working part time to get their full package :sad: 100% hackney

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 10797
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:
I have been looking at the fares league tables to see how we are looking. Our last review was 4 years ago and we are currently sitting at 284 in the league table. There are many councils who have not had a fare change since 2014 but I can't believe how many have not had an increase in over 10 years!!!

A lot of councils have taxi drivers that are prepared to run on starvation rates, and/or local reps that are clueless.

I take the view that councils have a duty to ensure the cab trade is viable, alongside their duties to ensure cab fares are not extortionate.



our council has made it clear that their duty is to make sure that there are loads of cars available on the rank even on the BUSIEST night. Their main duty is to the consumers (rate payers) by keeping the prices down and availability high because to side with the drivers would be anti consumer

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 414
edders23 wrote:
Their main duty is to the consumers (rate payers) by keeping the prices down and availability high because to side with the drivers would be anti consumer


Maybe you should tell them that higher fares means higher availability. :badgrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 10797
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:
Their main duty is to the consumers (rate payers) by keeping the prices down and availability high because to side with the drivers would be anti consumer


Maybe you should tell them that higher fares means higher availability. :badgrin:



when I first started driving there were between 14 and 18 cars for a population of 19000 the town has grown about 10 percent BUT there are over 100 taxis all hackney and no private hire the problem is that they are all ex PH drivers from Peterborough and prepared to work for next to nothing if necessary in order to keep locals off the rank. As long as there is non muslim competition prices will never rise

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm
Posts: 21423
Location: A City near Birmingham
Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:
Benefit claimants subsidising their earnings in running a TAXI service,

I think the above mainly applies to the PH trade. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:


Really?

as 95% of plated vehicles here are hacks i doubt that very much

then theres the guys with 14 kids getting £500/week WFTC...


PLUS...........PH are mainly on bases...with despatch systems which record every job....

thats a paper trail for the DSS and HMRC

hacks on a rank..........no records/all cash


The DSS/HMRC dont even ask the base... they go straight to the despatch comapny and its server

Image

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 am
Posts: 9330
Location: Clandestine, soon to be Russia.
2011 since our last increase.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:04 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 40373
Location: 1066 Country
Nidge2 wrote:
2011 since our last increase.

In areas that don't increase in that sort of time I think council's should lose the right to govern taxi fares.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 1639
2013 our last increase. Then the firms dropped their prices to 2006 levels, now no-one will increase their fares as they'll be more expensive than their rivals and the hack association won't ask the council for an increase because the difference between street hails and PH bookings would be too big ! But the PH firms won't consider an increase until the council rate goes up !! :sad:

No-ones budging, and they can't get together to sort something out as that would be illegal ! :roll: #-o

Bet they'll change their minds as the minimum wage keeps increasing and drivers realise they're better off doing ANY other job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm
Posts: 21423
Location: A City near Birmingham
Sussex wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
2011 since our last increase.

In areas that don't increase in that sort of time I think council's should lose the right to govern taxi fares.


One of the attractions of Uber

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fare increases
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 pm
Posts: 17051
sasha wrote:
2013 our last increase. Then the firms dropped their prices to 2006 levels, now no-one will increase their fares as they'll be more expensive than their rivals and the hack association won't ask the council for an increase because the difference between street hails and PH bookings would be too big ! But the PH firms won't consider an increase until the council rate goes up !! :sad:

No-ones budging, and they can't get together to sort something out as that would be illegal ! :roll: #-o

Bet they'll change their minds as the minimum wage keeps increasing and drivers realise they're better off doing ANY other job.

Who runs the association? Do you have drivers in the area that are looking to increase fares or are they all happy with the fares as they are.
If there are more than a few who are unhappy then they need to make theri voices heard at the association. The association leaders can't just decide that they don't want an increase.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cabby john and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group