Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Airport runs.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:24 pm 

Not a fan, I think I have mentioned before.

I generally don’t quote for them, because too many punters think the further you go, the cheaper the fare should be. However early this morning, I rocked up at the railway station, and a rather desperate young man made me an offer I couldn’t refuse to take him to Manchester airport. He’d overslept, and missed his train. He was very grateful, and tipped me handsomely for my trouble.

Two things though. Since when did motorways become a free for all wacky races scenario, with undertaking, dive throughs from the outside lane to the inside lane to the exit slip road at the last second? Suicidal driving to save two seconds. Mental as anything.

The other is, dropping off said passenger at T1, stopping and leaving like a formula one pit stop, and then charging me £5 for the privilege. Exactly what service are they offering that warrants a charge of £5? Can you imagine Sainsburys taking a charge of £1 for the use of a shopping trolley, and not giving you it back to you after your shop? They would be shut down in very short time.

Apart from that, and the accidents, and the temporary lights over woodhead, and the volume of traffic, and tintwhistle still bloody awful to get through, it was quite a pleasant trip.

Oh aye, one more thing. There were loads of signs around Manchester advertising clean air for sale. I rang the number to buy some but they said it isn’t available yet.

Post subject: Re: Airport runs.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:41 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I did Madchester pick up T1 last thursday but my passengers could only get a flight to Manchester on that date despite flying out from Burmingham ! Yes the clean air charging starts in may apparently and is ONLY chargeable to commercial vehicles including non Madchester licensed Hackneys and the temp lights over woodhead didn't hold me up much so must have been busier when you went

Most mornings you hear on the radio that there are accidents on the M62 ,M6 and all the others so mad driving must be the norm in Madchester area

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:35 pm 

Quote:
Since when did motorways become a free for all wacky races scenario, with undertaking, dive throughs from the outside lane to the inside lane to the exit slip road at the last second? Suicidal driving to save two seconds. Mental as anything.

About two weeks after the first one was built.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:36 pm 

Quote:
The other is, dropping off said passenger at T1, stopping and leaving like a formula one pit stop, and then charging me £5 for the privilege. Exactly what service are they offering that warrants a charge of £5? Can you imagine Sainsburys taking a charge of £1 for the use of a shopping trolley, and not giving you it back to you after your shop? They would be shut down in very short time.

They are offering no service, as they are merely mugging us all off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:39 pm 

Yes. Airport runs are for suckers generally as too many operators offering ridiculously low prices.

What's new in this industry?

Luxury airport runs is probably a niche market worth the hassle if you can get it right.

High profit margins in it but obviously the risk is higher as everything is when the potential profits are substantially higher.

The airports charge these fees because it's an easy revenue stream to exploit.

It probably contributes to lower airline prices as the airports could charge less to the flight operators for using their airport terminals assuming the revenue is pretty good from the drop-off charges.

Some obviously have a taxi rank too as another revenue stream and usually contract it out for a period of time to a PH company.

The budget cab firms probably don't pass the drop-off charges onto the customer.

The luxury firms almost definitely do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:33 pm 

What's a Motorway, we don't have such things around here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:38 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
bloodnock wrote:

noir do we but if travel afar you might come across one. I'm told Scotlandshire has got them :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 pm 

bloodnock wrote:

You've only recently got wheels. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 pm 

Airport work is fine, I do loads of Gatwicks and Heathrows.

However I don't do them cheap, but the punters I take and pick up know I will be there every time, on time.

Good service comes with a price, and thankfully I know a lot of people who appreciate it.

That said a few of my mates do cheaper airport work, but they do so much of it nearly always they get one coming back, which kind of justifies it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:58 pm 

Sussex wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

You've only recently got wheels. :shock:

What's even better is Wee Nippy our first minister is rolling out round wheels sometime in the near future..i'd best fix my handbrake in readiness.