Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: is help available
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:34 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
Oh it's me again, just a thought but do you lot think we as taxi drivers are covered by the Health and Safety at work laws, and in the workplace, workplace now applies to the motor vehicle if you use it for your job. I also know we have a duty of care to our passengers under the bog standard 1847 act

I have been really thinking about this

I know you are going to say oh just get them in then get them out [the passengers] I don't say punters as I think thats the wrong word. but every man and his dog is just waiting to claim however small.

My vehicle [taxi] has 8 internal airbags, after searching the net I find that there are certain things you can do or can't with passengers onboard for the safety of the passengers, ie simple items like shopping bags or luggage in the car, young kids and airbags, airbags and youngsters can be killers if not belted up properly. persons with certain medical conditions can have heart attacks, who don't tell you when they get in, suppose because they don't see the airbags they don't know they are there. things to think about are insurance and claims etc etc,

The wearing of seat belts, it opened up my eyes when I discovered what can happen in the event of an accident/shunt/other vehicle shunting into you, at very low speeds of only a few mph. I now wear my seat belt all the time now, seat belts work in conjuction with airbags [well in my vehicle] , but the pasengers could also be potential harmers to me if they don't wear seat belts.

I found this article on the net, http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/seatbelts.htm

when it says driver does that mean taxi driver, who knows.

you have gotta remember every potential passenger is a potential
claimer.

Yor thoughts. this could be a minefield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:55 pm 

Taxi drivers are covered by all the health and safety laws as all self employed people are.

If you read the acts there is always a section in small bold writing towards the bottom which basically states this.

Be that the Manual Handling regulations, safety at work etc, we are always under a duty of care.

regards

Captain cab