Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:17 am 

driver wrote:
I have just come across this debate and feel a point is missing, that is when a Council de-limits and opens the flood gates do they take into account the customer base, are their enough customers out there.

Mentioned was Dublin, i picked up a Dublin taxi driver the other day and he was telling me about the problems the it has created over there, before dereg he was working an 8 - 9 hour day five days a week, now he has to work a 12 hour day seven days a week to earn less than before dereg. He has lost his investment which he worked and saved hard for, and what he was hoping his pension when he retired, this is a common story amongst most of the Dublin drivers, so who are the winners and who are the losers, apparently the waiting time for customers is not that much better.

In Cardiff over the years the PH fleet has increased from approx 200 to over 900, (not to mention the 480 HC) sadly the customer base hasn't kept up with it. When they de-limit some will come over to HC, plus those who come back into the trade just to get a plate because they will think it will be valuable, the trade believe that it will balance out over the years, the problem is how many drivers will be bankrupt or broke before this happens. As mentioned before there are winners and losers, i hope i am not one of the losers. :sad:

Dublin was forced to deregulate numbers by the courts, there was nothing the Authorities could do about it. That is what happens when you don't plan ahead, you end up like Liverpool and Edinburgh with a sudden influx of cabs.

The majority of restricted councils who are presently lifting numbers are taking control of their own destiny and formulating a policy which is best, suited to them. The norm is a quality vehicle not less than three years old.

If Edinburgh Liverpool and Dublin had gone down the Quality control route I doubt very much that they would have as many cabs plying for hire as they do today.

Cardiff will no doubt apply the same quality controls, which will probably prohibit many prospective applicants.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:19 pm 

Driver, no point trying to explain to these guys about the effects of dereg. These guys cant understand it, more cars = less work for all us. They will state that its the market, or the customer does not have enough choice, etc etc. If I was you, get organised, get involved with your association, and most of all show your council that you dont need de-reg.

At the moment too many councils have pandered to these people, but a time has come to stop them from spreading thier cancer throughout the industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:47 pm 

187ums wrote:
Driver, no point trying to explain to these guys about the effects of dereg. These guys cant understand it, more cars = less work for all us. They will state that its the market, or the customer does not have enough choice, etc etc. If I was you, get organised, get involved with your association, and most of all show your council that you dont need de-reg.

At the moment too many councils have pandered to these people, but a time has come to stop them from spreading thier cancer throughout the industry.

I was under the impression you subscribed to the NTA/TGWU theory that councils are best placed to determine policy? Obviously not.

So who is best placed to determine policy? You?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:57 pm 

thats right the council knows best, however we do have a slight input as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:12 pm 

187ums wrote:
thats right the council knows best, however we do have a slight input as well.

Who is we? I think you or whoever we is? has had more than a slight input into council policy. In fact the TGWU not so long ago was patting itself on the back saying what a good job it had done in lobbying councillors and MP's.

Some members of the NTA and TGWU and most every other trade organisation in restricted licensing authorities have been lobbying councillors till they were blue in the face. That of course is your right. However, I have not yet seen evidence on a grand scale of those persons who would like a license but cannot obtain one creating too much of a ripple in the lobbying department. Perhaps you have evidence that suggests otherwise?

You seem not to be able to debate on the restricted numbers issue without getting your nickers in a twist. I must admit you remind me of a certain person who used to frequent this forum on a previous occasion, you aren't related in any way, are you?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:25 pm 

JD wrote:
In fact the TGWU not so long ago was patting itself on the back saying what a good job it had done in lobbying councillors and MP's.

That's right, what was it?

Oh yeah 'T&G KO'D OFT'. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:50 pm 

i can and do debate, however i do not agree with you on a free for all, you guys go and right letters to this council and that council suggesting that you know better than the local trade.

"We" are the local taxi trade, not you n screaming dereg dereg dereg, and f*** the people who have been carrying on the business.

I guess you are becoming a bit paranoid with a few more dissenting voices, i mean comparing me with someone else,

If tomorrow dereg came to me, I wouldnot worry about it, i would just get on with it, and tell people who bad it is for them, because it is, no matter what you and your buddies at the OFT think.

Whenever someone does not toe the TDO line, the Fraternity comes out hard!!

Oh yeah, I dont wear nickers, I wear Boxer Shorts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:04 pm 

187ums wrote:
"We" are the local taxi trade, not you n screaming dereg dereg dereg, and f*** the people who have been carrying on the business.

I guess you are becoming a bit paranoid with a few more dissenting voices, i mean comparing me with someone else.

I doubt anyone behind TDO is getting paranoid, far from it. :wink:

Personally I'm all for dissenting voices, but it would be better for the pro quotas brigade if more of them told the truth. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:22 pm 

187ums wrote:
i can and do debate, however i do not agree with you on a free for all, you guys go and right letters to this council and that council suggesting that you know better than the local trade.

Well its heartening to know you join the debate but I'm intrigued at this letter writing? What letters do you know of that have ever been sent to councils by the people you refer to as "you guys". Considering you are fairly new to TDO you seem to know an awful about what has not taken place. That doesn't surprise me in the least.

Quote:

You won't find me screaming dereg, dereg but you will find me putting forward an alternative view to people who disseminate lies and misinformation to further their own ends. The difference between me and you is that before I accused anyone of sending letters to councils, I would make sure I was in possession of the relevant facts before I put pen to paper. That is the difference between you and I and every other organisation in this trade that disseminates lies.

When you visit TDO you get the truth and the facts, those two elements shouldn't be that hard to swallow.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:49 am 

Remember Swindon? in case you have forgotten I will remind you, and read the last sentence especially,

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:04 pm Post subject: Re: Swindon lift numbers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JD wrote:
Last night 20/7/05 Swindon voted to remove quantity control in favour of quality control. This now leaves the number of Authorities that do not restrict numbers at 238, restricted authorities stand at 53 and those yet to decide now stands at 52.

Very nice to see that in the report to members the licensing officer put down the doom and scare mongering points from the likes of the T&G.

For every doom and scare they mentioned, the licensing officer had a well thought out reposte.

I just can't work out for the life of me where he found such factual information.

[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:51 am 

187ums wrote:
Remember Swindon? in case you have forgotten I will remind you, and read the last sentence especially,

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:04 pm Post subject: Re: Swindon lift numbers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JD wrote:
Last night 20/7/05 Swindon voted to remove quantity control in favour of quality control. This now leaves the number of Authorities that do not restrict numbers at 238, restricted authorities stand at 53 and those yet to decide now stands at 52.

.............................................................................................

I remember Swindon very well but it appears you don't. You know very well that everything below that line is a comment made by someone else and not me so why attribute the comments to me?

If you are going to quote someone please do not "misrepresent" the facts.

You may or may not have noticed but in general any of those restricted authorities that make a decision on numbers control is highlighted by me, regardless of what they decided. It is known as keeping everyone informed as to the latest developments.

I think you know very well who wrote the text below but for some reason you tried to make it look as though I wrote it in order to support your own argument. Perhaps you might wish to apologise and retract the reference you made below.

Regards

JD

Quote:
JD DID NOT WRITE THE FOLLOWING!

..............................................................................................

Quote:
Very nice to see that in the report to members the licensing officer put down the doom and scare mongering points from the likes of the T&G.

For every doom and scare they mentioned, the licensing officer had a well thought out reposte.

I just can't work out for the life of me where he found such factual information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:04 am 

187ums wrote:

Your point is? :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:44 am 

if we rewind a little here, where do I say that these comments are attributed to JD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:01 pm 

187ums wrote:
if we rewind a little here, where do I say that these comments are attributed to JD?

It might help you to look up 4 posts.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:30 pm 

well i have had a long look at the posts that I have written, nowhere do I say that JD said this, that or the other.

Ever since I have been on this forum, you for some reason believe that I am some one else writing on a pseudonym.

If you cant see that dereg is not the answer, then you obviously have no grasp of this subject

i think that you are the one that has got his "knickers" in a twsit!