UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:45 am 

GraniteTaxi wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:
He predicted it would simply prompt existing red-plate holders driving private hire cars - who are not allowed to stop on streets or ranks, or use bus lanes - to switch to yellow plates.

What you mean all drivers will be treated the same?

Heaven forbid. :shock:

The problem with this is you need a wheelchair access vehicle to get a yellow plate. I currently have a red plate (PH) and drive a saloon, so if I wanted a yellow plate I would have to fork out over £17k for a decent wheelchair access vehicle. I have a funny feeling it will back fire on Aberdeen Council and I can't see it changing anything.

[edited by admin], it would change everything down here. WAV would be no obstacle to increasing numbers in Edinburgh.

Why should it be so restrictive in Aberdeen?
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:56 am 

It wont be so restrictive in Aberdeen!
There were 200 on waiting list! 1 applicant (big taxi firm)withdrew their application for 100 plates leaving 100!
Of that 100,there are probably 20-30 working just now with wavs but with red plates! so there should only be about 50-70 new taxis on the road!
But with the schools passing upto 150 a year and no waiting list it will get worse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:45 pm 

whizz wrote:
But with the schools passing upto 150 a year and no waiting list it will get worse!

Maybe it's worth considering asking the council to improve driver's standards, such as a stiffer knowledge, and the DSA taxi test. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:13 pm 

whizz wrote:
It wont be so restrictive in Aberdeen!
There were 200 on waiting list! 1 applicant (big taxi firm)withdrew their application for 100 plates leaving 100!
Of that 100,there are probably 20-30 working just now with wavs but with red plates! so there should only be about 50-70 new taxis on the road!

So if the schools keep on passing people then what difference does it make it they're on a waiting list or not? They would have been on the road anyway, whether or not they're on a waiting list.

But as you say, the waiting list number are meaningless since some are just on it in the hope that their number comes up, and once the cap comes off they lose interest pretty quickly :D