Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DOH
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
One of my drivers has been complaining that his clutch is on it's way out for a couple of weeks and had his car booked into a garage for 2 days starting tomorrow as the mechanics said it would take that long because there was more than the clutch in trouble.

he fixed it himself yesterday because it turned out to be a car mat jamming the clutch pedal :shock:

it's taken him 2 weeks to spot that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject: Re: DOH
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:28 pm 

Years ago a guy I worked with bought his first diesel, a mk2 cavalier 1.6 diesel. He couldn't believe how slow it was and asked one of the other drivers who was also a mechanic to look at it for him. Same thing had happened, the piece of carpet he'd fitted was jammed under the accelerator!
When I drove landrovers while in the army the first thing I did after signing one out from the MT was remove the bolt fitted under the pedal to slow us down!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Years ago a guy I worked with bought his first diesel, a mk2 cavalier 1.6 diesel. He couldn't believe how slow it was and asked one of the other drivers who was also a mechanic to look at it for him. Same thing had happened, the piece of carpet he'd fitted was jammed under the accelerator!
When I drove landrovers while in the army the first thing I did after signing one out from the MT was remove the bolt fitted under the pedal to slow us down!

did you remember to refit it before you took it back !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm 

edders23 wrote:
x-ray wrote:

did you remember to refit it before you took it back !

Most of the time!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 pm 

edders23 wrote:
he fixed it himself yesterday because it turned out to be a car mat jamming the clutch pedal :shock:

Not unique to your drivers, mate of mine was the same about 10 years ago.

Thick as pigs sh**. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:19 am 

looks like this driver has quit now anyway he freaked out yesterday when i asked him to help out a few minutes past the time he had asked to finish then when i phoned him last night to sort out today and tomorrow asked him if he'd calmed down and he started yelling at me saying he hadn't freaked out and he's not turned up today so think he's quit maybe for the best though he's doing too much trying to manage parcel rounds for hermes and drive taxis maybe he needs some time off to get into serious financial difficulties and getting dictated to by Hermes to appreciate how much we did for him at times !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:05 pm 

edders23 wrote:
looks like this driver has quit now anyway he freaked out yesterday when i asked him to help out a few minutes past the time he had asked to finish then when i phoned him last night to sort out today and tomorrow asked him if he'd calmed down and he started yelling at me saying he hadn't freaked out and he's not turned up today so think he's quit maybe for the best though he's doing too much trying to manage parcel rounds for hermes and drive taxis maybe he needs some time off to get into serious financial difficulties and getting dictated to by Hermes to appreciate how much we did for him at times !!

Responsible proprietor/operator would say "Either be a taxi driver or a parcel delivery driver but you are not going to be here trying to be both."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:14 pm 

heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Responsible proprietor/operator would say "Either be a taxi driver or a parcel delivery driver but you are not going to be here trying to be both."

You mean dictate who a self employed driver can work for? That would make him an employee.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:59 pm 

grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:

You mean dictate who a self employed driver can work for? That would make him an employee.

at least it avoids driver exhaustion and any possible culpable manslaughter charge in any tragedy..

"You knew he worked 40 hours for Hermes and let him drive 60 for you?"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:22 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

at least it avoids driver exhaustion and any possible culpable manslaughter charge in any tragedy..

"You knew he worked 40 hours for Hermes and let him drive 60 for you?"

he defo does NOT work 100 hours a week he is working fewer hours for us than he used to and some of the time combining both i.e. boot full of parcels but covering bookings still situation is being constantly monitored by me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm 

edders23 wrote:

he defo does NOT work 100 hours a week he is working fewer hours for us than he used to and some of the time combining both i.e. boot full of parcels but covering bookings still situation is being constantly monitored by me

Does he drive on tacho at Hermes?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:45 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
edders23 wrote:

what do you think?? he covers bookings in a van then ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:19 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Hermes only deliver parcels in bulk by lorry the final delivery is in the back of someones car I.E. they use "self employed" delivery staff using their own cars. which is their way of undercutting competitors

see here

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:32 pm 

edders23 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Hermes only deliver parcels in bulk by lorry the final delivery is in the back of someones car I.E. they use "self employed" delivery staff using their own cars. which is their way of undercutting competitors

see here

Hermes run a hub+spoke distribution service, trunking betwen hubs and using artics and 7.5 tonners..

I realise now the guy is a car deliverer for hermes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:46 pm 

edders23 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
edders23 wrote:

see here

Hermes run a hub+spoke distribution service, trunking betwen hubs and using artics and 7.5 tonners..

I realise now the guy is a car deliverer for hermes

Image[/quote]

May find his insurance is invalidated by doing both at once.