Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: World of the Cab*igger
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:52 am 

Hi guys, how are things in the World of the Cab*igger? :-|

I just thought I'd do a brief cameo to see how much things have changed. Oh and I am not here to gloat. It's just that it has been a while... and time flies so fast... and there are fewer of the old guard still around to tell the story. :shock:

So let's hear it - the good, the bad and the ugly?

It's a Brave New World... \:D/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:38 am 

I'm just fine thanks.

Uber seem to have united the trade in the fight against Uber.

A quite impressive feat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:44 am 

Skull wrote:

I just thought I'd do a brief cameo to see how much things have changed. Oh and I am not here to gloat. It's just that it has been a while... and time flies so fast... and there are fewer of the old guard still around to tell the story. :shock:

Tell me which was it that worked ...the anger classes or the medication....you come across so chilled out.. which is good.. Me semi-retired.. but then as a taxi Baron you said I never did work :D hope things are good for you..Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:04 am 

And I have become, comfortably numb.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:37 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I'm just fine thanks.

Uber seem to have united the trade in the fight against Uber.

A quite impressive feat.

Good to hear you are still hanging in there Sussex.

Is this a fight against Uber or the death throes of a dying industry? I know that up here in Edinburgh a radio position has gone from 6K to about thirty bob and a packet of condoms. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:52 pm 

MR T wrote:
Skull wrote:

Tell me which was it that worked ...the anger classes or the medication....you come across so chilled out.. which is good.. Me semi-retired.. but then as a taxi Baron you said I never did work :D hope things are good for you..Trevor

Well Trevor, I sh*t you not, I see working with dogs and walking in the beautiful countryside as a therapy. I feel very lucky, blessed in fact, although now I am a victim of my own success. I am rushed off my feet but still enjoying it and wouldn't swap it for the world :D It's not like working. :) I thought you were always semi-retired. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:53 pm 

jimbo wrote:
And I have become, comfortably numb.....
Good for you jimbo "comfortably numb" sounds... interesting :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:31 pm 

It's got to be said Sussex this forum is not like the good old days when Jim and I were regular contributors. Are things really that bad? :sad: It's like your members have no fight left in them and given up the will to live. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 am 

Skull wrote:
It's got to be said Sussex this forum is not like the good old days when Jim and I were regular contributors. Are things really that bad? :sad: It's like your members have no fight left in them and given up the will to live. :cry:

I don't think so, it's just that some priorities have changed.

I think the trade has changed to a degree. I think non plate holding drivers have a bit more freedom, and I think Uber has spoofed operators big time giving drivers on their circuits a bit more freedom to control the way they work.

Doesn't mean everything is fab, but there seems a lot more emphasis nowadays about drivers working rights and conditions, and that can't be a bad thing.

In respect of taxi quotas, well most of the country doesn't restrict, and in some of those ares that do the likes of Uber have decimated plate prices. So maybe it's not that much of an issue as it once was.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Skull wrote:

I don't think so, it's just that some priorities have changed.

I think the trade has changed to a degree. I think non plate holding drivers have a bit more freedom, and I think Uber has spoofed operators big time giving drivers on their circuits a bit more freedom to control the way they work.

Doesn't mean everything is fab, but there seems a lot more emphasis nowadays about drivers working rights and conditions, and that can't be a bad thing.

In respect of taxi quotas, well most of the country doesn't restrict, and in some of those ares that do the likes of Uber have decimated plate prices. So maybe it's not that much of an issue as it once was.

You might be correct about drivers rights and working conditions at least from the perspective they are getting more of a fair shake than in the past. They may not be making a lot of money for the hours they work but at least everyone is in the same boat. Gone are the days when the big radio companies could just Lord it over people and as you have already indicated, Uber and the likes ... have turned plate prices and radio positions on their heads. I know from radio position holders in Edinburgh they are fully expecting their companies to go down the pan at some point in the near future. It looks like my predictions for the trade as a whole and Edinburgh, in particular, are all coming true. :) Although from reading some of the threads on TDO I do get the feeling that people have just accepted that technology is taking over and there is nothing they can do about it. Ironically their rights and working conditions are all they have left, so it might not be a bad thing, no more plate barons or pretendy businessmen...:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:11 pm 

Skull wrote:
Although from reading some of the threads on TDO I do get the feeling that people have just accepted that technology is taking over and there is nothing they can do about it.

Personally I welcome the new technology.

Certainly makes my job easier.