Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:44 pm 

Shock! Horror!

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/o ... -1-4530462

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:08 am 

It's ok the co-operative up that way will save them cos Uber will not get a foothold in Edinburgh :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 pm 

Skull wrote:

It is quite easy to compete with Uber IMO.

Their data system is nothing special and a number of systems are available to all that are just as good.

They don't treat their drivers any better than existing operators.

What they have is an app that loads of foreign people have and use, but that's their only plus point.

So don't panic, don't fuel their PR machine, just compete with them and look after your punters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 pm 

Sussex wrote:
your punters.

or c*nts as they're otherwise known 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 pm 

Doesn’t it beggar belief the taxi trade bemoaning the increase in private hire drivers (News, August 14) at what is arguably its busiest period of the year, when the city’s population is almost doubled with visitors? In the 20-plus years since I became a cabbie taxi numbers have increased around 50 per cent while private hire has increased 500 per cent. In that time the taxi trade has been run like a cartel aided and abetted by the council through maintaining a restriction on issuing new licence plates and setting artificial tariffs. This has kept the number of taxi vehicles down, rental prices for drivers high and prices that force the public to pay over the top, if they can hail a cab in the first place. I well remember the convener of the licensing committee telling a licence applicant who had been refused to drive for one of the city’s biggest taxi firms, and whom he was denying his own vehicle, that it was not the remit of the committee to take account of the applicant’s employment prospects. Licence denied, the applicant was rendered unemployed and the councillor became an MSP. Uber and other private hires offer a more competitive, less costly service, as well as work prospects for drivers who need to work. Isn’t the taxi trade’s problem that it treats its customer base and drivers as its own cash cow and is using a business model that is not fit for purpose in a contemporary free market; losing out on both price and service. Jim Taylor, Edinburgh

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/o ... -1-4533719

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:03 pm 

Skull wrote:
Jim Taylor, Edinburgh

Always trying to be popular with the local cab trade. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Skull wrote:
Jim Taylor, Edinburgh

Always trying to be popular with the local cab trade. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Cab Trade is on its arse end but what surprises me is that it's happening even faster than predicted. I gave the Edinburgh Trade 5 years before it was in serious trouble and that was less than 3 years ago. I spoke to a mate of mine who still drivers and he tells me that Friday and Saturday nights are a shadow of what they once were, radio positions are worthless and dozens of plates are up for sale.

I suppose they had it coming... :-|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 pm 

Uber have definitely upset the status quo in many areas, and that's clearly having an effect on plate values and the earnings of some taxi and PH drivers.

The question I ask is why drivers go on Uber?

Is it because of the way many have been treated by their previous operators and/or taxi owners?

Maybe.

Or is it a case of those drivers licensing in areas that take any old sh**, and then working in areas that don't, via the Uber app?

Maybe.

Or is it both?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:24 pm 

Hi, anyone know how many cars Uber operates in Edinburgh?

Seen figure of 20,000+ quoted for London, but never any specific figure for the cities.

Just wanted to get an idea of the numbers to work out whether it's all a bit overblown, or whether they really are muscling in on the cities.

20,000+ obviously a lot in London (about the same as number of black cabs), but I've heard they aren't doing quite so well elsewhere, despite the likes of the story at the top of the thread about Uber's impact on the Edinburgh market.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:46 am 

StuartW wrote:
Seen figure of 20,000+ quoted for London, but never any specific figure for the cities.

I've seen double that number quoted by a number of sources. :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:32 pm 

Why go to uber ????????????? easy its an alternative had an AL driver telling about being stitched up by AL when he declined a job ie a drunk so they suspended him for 3 days he gets in another motor and uses UBER simple aint it #-o #-o #-o #-o

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:26 pm 

Had to laugh when the article says the Edinburgh equivalent of the London knowledge can take only a couple of weeks, totally wrong on that one.

The biggest reason for the increase in ph applications is cost, hugely reduced, someone within ecc with a hidden agenda, maybe connected to your old buddies in the ph Skull :wink:

Uber drivers in Edinburgh are the bottom of the barrel up here, they're not as popular as the article makes out, haven't seen any existing Edinburgh ph companies go to wall because of the alleged impact Uber are having, younger customers will give them ago but the first time they are charged £40 to go from omni to shore they'll be off like a shot.

As far as I'm concerned I'm doing great, this last year has been my best ever, I'm not seeing the decline in my earnings, our trade will fight fire with Fire and we will prevail, we have the same tech and much more as far as knowledge, reliability, service, trust and an easy to understand pricing system, we too can compete with the discount madness that's going on but hey we don't supplement that discount with extreme surge pricing, without surge pricing uber are out the game, I'd do what Denmark do, meters in all taxi's and private hire, Uber left the building.

On the plus Edinburgh is growing, it's a busy city as far as punters wanting a taxi/ph but it's still way below Uber's larger markets, when we have the quiet periods Uber won't be as attractive and sustainable.

I up for what the future brings, I can only see the positive's, our trade will survive but at regulatory level we have to voice our concerns regarding safety,security, clear knowledge of pricing, a professional service with knowledgeable drivers clean and smart at that, Edinburgh is a hub for our country our councillors have duty to protect it's ambassadors.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/o ... -1-4199972

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:54 am 

Sussex wrote:
Uber have definitely upset the status quo in many areas, and that's clearly having an effect on plate values and the earnings of some taxi and PH drivers.

The question I ask is why drivers go on Uber?

Is it because of the way many have been treated by their previous operators and/or taxi owners?

Maybe.

Or is it a case of those drivers licensing in areas that take any old sh**, and then working in areas that don't, via the Uber app?

Maybe.

Or is it both?
I don't think anyone that's been a driver are moving to Uber, it's mostly those just off the boat, desperate or weekend workers. You can get a phc license on an international driving license, and half of them don't even seem familiar as to how a car even works .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:59 am 

StuartW wrote:
Hi, anyone know how many cars Uber operates in Edinburgh?

Just wanted to get an idea of the numbers to work out whether it's all a bit overblown, or whether they really are muscling in on the cities.

20,000+ obviously a lot in London (about the same as number of black cabs), but I've heard they aren't doing quite so well elsewhere, despite the likes of the story at the top of the thread about Uber's impact on the Edinburgh market.

Can only tell you before Uber arrived in Edinburgh the highest phc plate was at around 1300, seen plate 1830 tonight on a 13 year old passat , apparently there's applications pending.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 pm 

chrismas wrote:
I don't think anyone that's been a driver are moving to Uber, it's mostly those just off the boat, desperate or weekend workers.

And that's the problem in my view, from a drivers prospective.

If Uber drivers came from the existing pool then it should have little or no effect on driver earnings, as the cake and it's slices should be the same.

Problem arises when you have the same cake with thinner slices.