Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: so stop pishing about!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:36 pm 

Vexatious and repetitious requests

The Freedom of Information Act gives rights of access to official information, known as the 'right to know'. The act makes clear that, subject to certain safeguards, there is a public interest in allowing access to such information and, in particular, in the release of information as to the reasons for decisions made by councils like us.

Find out more below:
Vexatious or repetitious requests

However, while placing a general duty on public authorities to give access to official information the act also provides an exception to that duty for requests which are vexatious or repetitious. These provisions are necessary to prevent abuse of the right to know.

The Information Commissioner considers that the provision for vexatious and repeated requests is important and his approach will be influenced by the desirability of keeping compliance costs to a minimum and to avoiding damage to the credibility or reputation of the Freedom of Information framework.

While giving maximum support to individuals genuinely seeking to exercise the right to know, the Information Commissioner’s general approach will be sympathetic towards authorities where a request, which may be the latest in a series of requests, would impose a significant burden and:

clearly does not have any serious purpose or value
is designed to cause disruption or annoyance
has the effect of harassing the public authority
can otherwise fairly be characterised as obsessive or manifestly unreasonable

What does this mean for me?

If we determine that your FOI request is vexatious or repetitious, we will contact you to inform you of our decision and the reasons for it.

If you are unhappy with our decision, you can contact the Information Commissioner who will look into the case for you. Find out more on the Information Commissioner's Website.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:40 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
What does this mean for me?

If we determine that your FOI request is vexatious or repetitious, we will contact you to inform you of our decision and the reasons for it.

If you are unhappy with our decision, you can contact the Information Commissioner who will look into the case for you. Find out more on the Information Commissioner's Website.

The country is chock a block full of time wasters, thus I agree with the vexatious issue.

In fact I know a couple of folks who's life is 100% about sending rubbish upon rubbish to the council in a sad and failed attempt to make themselves look or feel important. Image

However if anyone gets a reply saying you are vexatious then by all means appeal to the Information Commissioner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
talking of which is there an official form for making a request or do you just write a letter ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:06 pm 

edders23 wrote:
talking of which is there an official form for making a request or do you just write a letter ?

You just write a letter, although some councils have template boxes you can send FoI's in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 pm 

Does no one remember the MP's expenses scandal of 2009? If my memory serves me correctly, it took a couple of years for the reporter investigating the case to get the relevant information through an FOI request.

They did everything in their power to block giving out any information. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:50 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Just use these (very simple);
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:13 pm 

sasha wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Very interesting I make a lot of FOI requests and have never come across the
Nolan Principals that was mentioned by someone's request with Melton Council, I might use it :D
The 7 principles
1. Selflessness
2. Integrity
3. Objectivity
4. Accountability
5. Openness
6. Honesty
7. Leadership
1. Selflessness
Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest.

2. Integrity
Holders of public office must avoid placing themselves under any obligation to people or organisations that might try inappropriately to influence them in their work. They should not act or take decisions in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends. They must declare and resolve any interests and relationships.

3. Objectivity
Holders of public office must act and take decisions impartially, fairly and on merit, using the best evidence and without discrimination or bias.

4. Accountability
Holders of public office are accountable to the public for their decisions and actions and must submit themselves to the scrutiny necessary to ensure this.

5. Openness
Holders of public office should act and take decisions in an open and transparent manner. Information should not be withheld from the public unless there are clear and lawful reasons for so doing.

6. Honesty
Holders of public office should be truthful.

7. Leadership
Holders of public office should exhibit these principles in their own behaviour. They should actively promote and robustly support the principles and be willing to challenge poor behaviour wherever it occurs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:01 am 

mancityfan wrote:
sasha wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Very interesting I make a lot of FOI requests and have never come across the
Nolan Principals that was mentioned by someone's request with Melton Council, I might use it :D
The 7 principles
1. Selflessness
2. Integrity
3. Objectivity
4. Accountability
5. Openness
6. Honesty
7. Leadership
1. Selflessness
Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest.

2. Integrity
Holders of public office must avoid placing themselves under any obligation to people or organisations that might try inappropriately to influence them in their work. They should not act or take decisions in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends. They must declare and resolve any interests and relationships.

3. Objectivity
Holders of public office must act and take decisions impartially, fairly and on merit, using the best evidence and without discrimination or bias.

4. Accountability
Holders of public office are accountable to the public for their decisions and actions and must submit themselves to the scrutiny necessary to ensure this.

5. Openness
Holders of public office should act and take decisions in an open and transparent manner. Information should not be withheld from the public unless there are clear and lawful reasons for so doing.

6. Honesty
Holders of public office should be truthful.

7. Leadership
Holders of public office should exhibit these principles in their own behaviour. They should actively promote and robustly support the principles and be willing to challenge poor behaviour wherever it occurs.

Holders of public office who believe and follow the Nolan Principals are very few and far between.