Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BBC Radion Kent phone-in
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:35 pm 

Last Sunday (3/9/17) Lembit Opek had a caller phone in about the scandal of out-of-town cabs operating in Medway. Even the local Labour councillor wanted the "loophole" closed that allowed it.

I managed to get on the air in the second part of the show and pointed out that the loophole is actually The Law and has been for years. I pointed out that if my firm accepted a booking from a punter at Heathrow or Gatwick, I would be accepting a fare out of area. Lembit could see my point, and said that if he wanted me to go to Truro and collect him and take him back to Sheppey, I could legally do so, even if the cost was say £500. Yes of course. :)

He could see that providing the pick-up was pre-booked, it was not illegal. I also pointed out that what IS illegal is for an out-of-area taxi sitting on the rank and making a pickup off the street.

I just wish some cabbies could get some sort of knowledge of the law.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:01 pm 

roythebus wrote:

Welcome to my world.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Last Sunday (3/9/17) Lembit Opek had a caller phone in about the scandal of out-of-town cabs operating in Medway. Even the local Labour councillor wanted the "loophole" closed that allowed it.

I managed to get on the air in the second part of the show and pointed out that the loophole is actually The Law and has been for years. I pointed out that if my firm accepted a booking from a punter at Heathrow or Gatwick, I would be accepting a fare out of area. Lembit could see my point, and said that if he wanted me to go to Truro and collect him and take him back to Sheppey, I could legally do so, even if the cost was say £500. Yes of course. :)

He could see that providing the pick-up was pre-booked, it was not illegal. I also pointed out that what IS illegal is for an out-of-area taxi sitting on the rank and making a pickup off the street.

I think that you have missed the point....delta have sefton ,Liverpool, Knowsley,Wirral.and more working their system permanently.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm 

its cars working solely and exclusively in a remote (as in distant) area thats the issue, not doing a drop or collection far far away

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:19 am 

Yes, I appreciate that too, but providing they're pre-booked that is what the law says can happen.

Someone else put the scenario of cars that for instance only do "airport runs", thereby doing cabs based in the airport's area out of work. what's the difference between that and doing night club runs out of area? apart from the fact that air travellers are less likely to chunder in your cab on a Friday night.

The councillor on the phone in made the often repeated point that cars from different areas might be a danger as they may not be to the same standard as local cars, well, WTF, the industry should have the same standards throughout the country like buses do! Maybe that's what the cab industry should be campaigning for?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:12 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Yes, I appreciate that too, but providing they're pre-booked that is what the law says can happen.

Someone else put the scenario of cars that for instance only do "airport runs", thereby doing cabs based in the airport's area out of work. what's the difference between that and doing night club runs out of area? apart from the fact that air travellers are less likely to chunder in your cab on a Friday night.

The councillor on the phone in made the often repeated point that cars from different areas might be a danger as they may not be to the same standard as local cars, well, WTF, the industry should have the same standards throughout the country like buses do! Maybe that's what the cab industry should be campaigning for?

LTI only ?