Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HGV drivers hours
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 pm 

I was just wondering whether my hours driving a taxi would be counted as work, against any hours done driving a lorry. I have just passed my C+E and want to go on the wagons, but don't want to give up the taxis. Anybody know???

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: HGV drivers hours
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:09 pm 

Hours worked on the taxis wouldn't count against the hours you are allowed to work on the wagons, but should you have a serious accident the resulting investigation would look at this and if you have had sufficient rest/sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:00 am 

x-ray wrote:
Hours worked on the taxis wouldn't count against the hours you are allowed to work on the wagons.

I am not sure that is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 am 

I would hope they would count as the idea of someone driving a HGV having already done another job is terrifying but due to the nature of the business your HGV employer would probably not be aware what you're doing when not driving for them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:40 pm 

Midlife martyr wrote:
I would hope they would count as the idea of someone driving a HGV having already done another job is terrifying but due to the nature of the business your HGV employer would probably not be aware what you're doing when not driving for them.

Not so sure about that,know a HGV driver who was told by his employer he drives a truck or a taxi but not both,on asking where they got the information he was driving a taxi he was told from the relevant authorities.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:05 pm 

Any time spent driving in professional capacity, wether that vehicle is tacho equipped or not (ie ph or taxi) will count as hours worked and must be included within your hours regs if you drive a truck or bus. Harsh, but fact.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm 

What Coopers says is correct. For tacho reasons, ANY paid work is work and must be manually entered on your tacho. Same applies to bus driving. Work is work.

Cast your mind back to about 1995 when a minibus crashed on the M40 and killed a load of school kids? It was found the teacher had taught all day, driven to London, watched a show, and drove back, then fell asleep on the M40. BANG. Teaching is work, watching the show is work, driving the school minibus is work.

There fore taxi driving is work, so is lorry driving. Remember too the Working Time Directive. If you had an accident, not only would you be in the [edited by admin], so would your lorry employer and could lose his operators licence.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 pm 

That's a blow. Only wanted to do a Saturday night to top up the pay. Guess i'll have to choose one or the other.

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
TX11 CAB wrote:
That's a blow. Only wanted to do a Saturday night to top up the pay. Guess i'll have to choose one or the other.

Thanks everyone.

I have known a few lorry drivers do a bit of part time at weekends I think the crux is if you are driving a lorry also on the weekend i.e. If your lorry driving is Monday to Friday and you do a saturday night driving a taxi or PH I'm not sure it counts as it is well outside your tacho hours but getting out of a lorry and into a taxi might. Where there might be an issue is the working time directive

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:09 am 

In tacho law, REST means what it says. 45 hours rest. Not working, especially not driving professionally.

This link shows what can happen.
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... RP8uaIvD8H

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:54 pm 

If I went from truck to van and then warehouse I had to fill out a tacho chart for a set period an have all my charts on me for........28 days? cant remember.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:32 am 

Yep, tacho charts for 28 days. Can't produce charts? Huge fine for you end employer and maybe a visit to the Traffic Commissioner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 pm 

I had a tacho digicard but never got to use it, what an easy device to incoporate into a cabmeter!

stop all the crazy 20 hour shift drivers and part timers just turning up for friday/saturday nights after a week working elsewhere (or signing on)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:36 pm 

And it won't be long before tachographs have auto reporting to the traffic commissioners. This is the last thing you would ever want in a taxi/pivate hire car. It would seriously disrupt your earnings potential and shift patterns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 pm 

Coopers wrote:
And it won't be long before tachographs have auto reporting to the traffic commissioners. This is the last thing you would ever want in a taxi/pivate hire car. It would seriously disrupt your earnings potential and shift patterns.

and an end to Proplus, Red bull and "other stuff" sales and drivers sleeping on a sofa in the base?