Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:16 am 

After going through all the procedures with my local licencing authority at no time verbally or literally was I told that my spouse could not drive my vehicle once it had been licensed .
Even when I applied for my insurance my insurance provider asked if I wanted to include my wife on the policy under social & domestic use only .
Only when I went to pick plates up from local authority(Just to add car is plate exempt ) I was then told verbally it is against the law for anyone to drive my vehicle other than licensed driver!
How does this work as insurance company is willing to insure (Double Checked)
What if i get taken ill while I am out how do i get my car back to a safe place
If this was our only car and wife needed to take kids to school etc
If i get taken suddenly ill when out with wife and a Hospital is two miles down the road she can not drive me there!
I then treble checked with a well known insurance company and they told me they were not sure where i stood on this and needed to check themselves,Came back to me and stated some local authority's issue a exemption letter for this is this so if so could someone please give full clarity on this matter as very confused and let down by local authority for not providing me with the right information from the word go!

Regards
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:22 am 

Once your car is licenced as a private hire car only a licenced private hire driver can drive it, no exemptions.

There was a proposal a couple of years ago to change the law to allow spouses etc to drive an off-duty p/h car but it was rightly felt (in my view) that this would lead to far too many abuses of the system from certain sections of the community. So, while it's licenced, nobody else can drive it regardless of what the insurers say.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:32 am 

So if my wife is driving and legally insured and I am having a heart attack I have to sit and suffer a her drive me to the hospital legally.
Surly if this is such a big thing why didn't local authority put it in there literature!
If she was stopped by the police and was insured who would fine who and what are the consequences!
Also if people that would abuse the system would do so anyway licensed or not as that is the way they live there lives rules or no rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
for your wife to drive she needs to also get a licence unfortunately this has been the case for 20 years or so ever since the "beavis and butthead" case as it used to be refered to by NPHA

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:05 pm 

Yes after checking with a host of local authorities yes she does need to have a licence to drive my Phv/Hackney but it does beggar belief that the local authority on some thing that is so important does not mention this in there literature at all and secondly how can insurance companies offer insurance cover on something that is illegal!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:39 pm 

Have you actually read your Councils policy from cover to cover because it should be in there somewhere. It is in ours.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:39 pm 

jon123 wrote:
After going through all the procedures with my local licencing authority at no time verbally or literally was I told that my spouse could not drive my vehicle once it had been licensed .
Even when I applied for my insurance my insurance provider asked if I wanted to include my wife on the policy under social & domestic use only .
Only when I went to pick plates up from local authority(Just to add car is plate exempt ) I was then told verbally it is against the law for anyone to drive my vehicle other than licensed driver!
What if i get taken ill while I am out how do i get my car back to a safe place
If this was our only car and wife needed to take kids to school etc
If i get taken suddenly ill when out with wife and a Hospital is two miles down the road she can not drive me there!
I then treble checked with a well known insurance company and they told me they were not sure where i stood on this and needed to check themselves,Came back to me and stated some local authority's issue a exemption letter for this is this so if so could someone please give full clarity on this matter as very confused and let down by local authority for not providing me with the right information from the word go!

Regards
Jon

Private hire drivers license must be held by a person to drive any private hire vehicle,what ever the vehicle is doing at that moment in time is irrelevant as it is a licensed vehicle 24/7 until the license expires or is revoked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:41 pm 

grandad wrote:
Have you actually read your Councils policy from cover to cover because it should be in there somewhere. It is in ours.

It does not need to be in the policy,it is the LAW of the land.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:32 pm 

1. you can .I can insure anything you want...that's not illegal....... regarding the police...if you have a car that is insured for a person.......is taxed...has ...a MOT..as well as a compliance pass. with no plates on it..???
2.What can the council prosecute you or her for...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:54 pm 

MR T wrote:
1. you can .I can insure anything you want...that's not illegal....... regarding the police...if you have a car that is insured for a person.......is taxed...has ...a MOT..as well as a compliance pass. with no plates on it..???
Wait for the accident to happen, then you'll find out the expensive way that the driver doesn't have the licence appropriate to the vehicle. Once a p/h, always a p/h until the licence is revoked or it is withdrawn from p/h service.

The council could prosecute her for driving a p/h without a licence/ failure to display a p/h badge for starters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:46 pm 

jon123 wrote:

It works in the same way as your insurance cover will cover you even if you run over and kill someone.

Basically it's licensing law that doesn't allow anyone except a licensed driver to drive a licensed car.

And just think if that wasn't the case? 100s or 1000s of unlicensed drivers working and taking our work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:47 pm 

jon123 wrote:
So if my wife is driving and legally insured and I am having a heart attack I have to sit and suffer a her drive me to the hospital legally.

No, because A a council wouldn't prosecute, and B a court wouldn't convict.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:49 pm 

jon123 wrote:
Yes after checking with a host of local authorities yes she does need to have a licence to drive my Phv/Hackney but it does beggar belief that the local authority on some thing that is so important does not mention this in there literature at all and secondly how can insurance companies offer insurance cover on something that is illegal!

National law states only a license driver can drive a license vehicle.

Councils don't have a say in the matter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 pm 

jon123 wrote:

But you could make that argument about load of similar scenarios - if husband and wife had different cars and weren't insured to driver each other's, say.

jon123 wrote:

Even assuming it isn't specifically mentioned, to a degree isn't the onus on you to find such things out before you go ahead?

Sorry to sound harsh, but it's a bit like buying an HGV and then complaining that your wife can't drive it without having an HGV driver's licence. To a degree it should be obvious that it's a different type of vehicle and thus an ordinary driver's licence wouldn't be sufficient to drive it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:36 pm 

roythebus wrote:
MR T wrote:
Wait for the accident to happen, then you'll find out the expensive way that the driver doesn't have the licence appropriate to the vehicle. Once a p/h, always a p/h until the licence is revoked or it is withdrawn from p/h service.

The council could prosecute her for driving a p/h without a licence/ failure to display a p/h badge for starters.

How can you prosecute a normal person for not displaying a p/h badge ??
If the council remove the plate from a p/h vehicle can if still work..