Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:21 pm 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/p ... spartandhp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 pm 

MR T wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/plumber-wins-landmark-employment-rights-case/ar-AAyzSJ6?ocid=spartandhp

Is it not time some of these large P/HIRE Operators who have control over so called self employed drivers were challenged,they set the fares which the person can only charge,told they must wear a uniform,have to actually pay to take their holidays(office rent),often dictated too regarding what they have to work and when,can be fined or logged off the system at the operators behest,just a few of the many reasons drivers are not self employed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:09 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
the problem with our trade is that as we handle mostly cash we all know that the drivers will under declare their takings if they were on the books as employed

I think the way forward is for all drivers to become independent contractors taking work from more than 1 firm or app holding their own ops license if PH and providing their own car or leasing one from a leasing company which must be a wholly separate company from any call centre/booking office or companies should think about taking drivers on fully employed BUT not take cash go 100 percent card/account

call centres or booking offices should become commission only then there is no argument they are merely agents for the drivers

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:16 am 

Holiday and sick pay will inevitably be charged back to the drivers either through insurance or by upping the settle/board rent by £1000 a year or more

secondly whilst it might be possible for uber how would the majority of companies assess the level of earnings of their drivers to calculate holiday pay unless the government legislated a set amount per week to pay or an agreement with the drivers was reached on a fixed weekly rate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:09 am 

edders23 wrote:

secondly whilst it might be possible for uber how would the majority of companies assess the level of earnings of their drivers to calculate holiday pay unless the government legislated a set amount per week to pay or an agreement with the drivers was reached on a fixed weekly rate

There are holiday pay calculators available online. The one I use works everything out in hours so I simply put the number of hours worked in a month in a box and it then tells me how many hours that person is entitled to for holiday pay for that month. It does take a small amount of setting up because you have to set the number of days holiday entitlement that the person has per year but you only have to do this once. As a minimum it is 28 days which includes bank holidays.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:34 am 

MR T wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/plumber-wins-landmark-employment-rights-case/ar-AAyzSJ6?ocid=spartandhp

Pretty certain the government will bring in new legislation soon.

If for no reason other than getting millions/billions in employers national insurance contributions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:16 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

If for no reason other than getting millions/billions in employers national insurance contributions.

As an employer I get the first £2,000 of employers NI paid by the government so at the moment we are nowhere near the threshold.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:14 pm 

It's be a whole lot easier if the firms stuck to dispatching jobs and left the drivers to get on with it.
That's what we pay for, answer the phone, take the details, enter it into a dispatch system and press enter, job gets offered to all those who've paid for the service. No other involvement.

Yes, I know it's more complicated than that, but at a basic level they're not much more than a call centre which we hire to provide an admin service. How drivers choose to work should be of no concern to them. Again, more complex.

If I was to hire a call centre to call people and sell double glazing I wouldn't expect them to take my money and then start telling me how to do my job, what to charge, when to work, what to wear etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

And vat on every fare.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 pm 

Maybe, but your fuel bill will drop by 20% as will your car lease/hire purchase/rental/phone bill etc... Plenty you can legally claim back on VAT.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:10 am 

roythebus wrote:
Maybe, but your fuel bill will drop by 20% as will your car lease/hire purchase/rental/phone bill etc... Plenty you can legally claim back on VAT.

I did the sums many years ago if you account for Vat on the vehicles,fuel,garage bills etc.etc. I calculated that i would still be paying £5000 a year VAT on my turnover which is nowhere near the threshold

Apart from the London boys I doubt there are many taxis in the country who would reach the VAT threshold as a single vehicle only fleets

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:18 pm 

roythebus wrote:

not quite

£80 - 20% = £64

£80 less the vat = £66.66

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:19 pm 

edders23 wrote:
roythebus wrote:

I did the sums many years ago if you account for Vat on the vehicles,fuel,garage bills etc.etc. I calculated that i would still be paying £5000 a year VAT on my turnover which is nowhere near the threshold

Apart from the London boys I doubt there are many taxis in the country who would reach the VAT threshold as a single vehicle only fleets

you may register voluntarily and charge vat, if you have a high % of contract/invoiced work

you can also reclaim the vat if you buy a vat qualifying vehicle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:12 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
roythebus wrote:

not quite

£80 - 20% = £64

£80 less the vat = £66.66

Then the 20% off the £66.66

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:37 am 

grandad wrote:
Then the 20% off the £66.66

He forgot that one. :D :D :D :D