Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Voluntary Termination
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:28 am 

Just over half way through 60 month term with all payments up to date and over 50% paid back.

Do I need to return the car with an MOT?

The car is in excellent condition.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:21 am 

I assume you are talking about HP. You would need to read the T&Cs but if the vehicle is less than 3 years old would it need an MOT in the normal world?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:34 am 

grandad wrote:
I assume you are talking about HP. You would need to read the T&Cs but if the vehicle is less than 3 years old would it need an MOT in the normal world?

I would have thought that in the normal course of events an MoT would be required before handing it back, assuming one was required by law - it's supposed to have been reasonably maintained and in good condition, etc.

But if it's less than three years old and is not now a licensed vehicle then presumably a valid MoT is not required...interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:55 am 

Yes it’s hp.

There is no mention of the car requiring an mot to vt.

The car is over 3 years old and has a valid taxi inspection certificate hence the reason I have it needed to have it mot’d

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:07 am 

Goku wrote:
Just over half way through 60 month term with all payments up to date and over 50% paid back.

Had enough or just changing cars ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 am 

Changing cars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm 

I didn't know you could do this until recently

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:39 pm 

Goku wrote:
Yes it’s hp.

The car is over 3 years old and has a valid taxi inspection certificate hence the reason I have it needed to have it mot’d

It will need an MOT once it is no longer being used as a licensed vehicle. One other thing, when a vehicle is returned under such termsand conditions, the vehicle will be sold at auction. Now if it is in good condition it may sell for more money than is actually owed. The HP company will have to pass this extra on to you. If it doesn't sell for as much as you owe then that is their problem and not yours. A few years ago we had Suzuki Carry 1.3 that we bought on HP. when we didn't need it anymore we returned it and a few weeks later we got a cheque for £770 from the sale at auction.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:43 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
I didn't know you could do this until recently

Many people will take out HP for 5 years and then return the vehicle after 3 years and get another one on another 5 year term. This is done to keep the payments down to a minimum and always have a car that is nearly new. And if you get a bit back it is a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:13 pm 

You dont have to wait till half way of any agreement...

Quote:
I am writing to notify you that I am exercising my right to terminate the above agreement under Section 99 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I understand that I will owe you for the amount calculated under the formula in Section 100 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

If done before any default is issued you should only owe 50% of the original total debt less and payments made.

Quote:
If you decide to terminate your agreement voluntarily and hand back the goods to the creditor, you should only have to pay up to half of the total amount payable under the agreement, minus sums that you have paid. You will also have to pay any sums that are due. Sums that you have paid include any deposit plus the instalments that you have paid. Sums due are any arrears or missed payments due at the time of termination.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/fac ... -sale.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:20 pm 

Goku wrote:

Why not just have it MOT'd and valeted to keep em happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:36 pm 

grandad wrote:
Goku wrote:
Yes it’s hp.

It will need an MOT once it is no longer being used as a licensed vehicle. One other thing, when a vehicle is returned under such termsand conditions, the vehicle will be sold at auction. Now if it is in good condition it may sell for more money than is actually owed. The HP company will have to pass this extra on to you. If it doesn't sell for as much as you owe then that is their problem and not yours. A few years ago we had Suzuki Carry 1.3 that we bought on HP. when we didn't need it anymore we returned it and a few weeks later we got a cheque for £770 from the sale at auction.

Ive done 2 VT's after paying half and never heard a thing, i know someones A6 was valued by WBAC at £11,000 and made more at auction.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:52 am 

I’ll book an mot just in case, would still be interesting to know if law requires it.

For those who have went down this route before did you ring the finance company or send a letter?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:06 pm 

Goku wrote:
I’ll book an mot just in case, would still be interesting to know if law requires it.

For those who have went down this route before did you ring the finance company or send a letter?

have the car prepped to avoid issues, ring and tell them, they wont want it back, chase em... mine took 5 weeks and i ended up ringing the collection agents myself