Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:55 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MTM84 wrote:
Another expense I hasn’t considered...do the majority of Glasgow’s taxis have a card machine? I assume this is rented through Glasgow Taxis? Must a radio and card machine be rented together and how much is the card machine?

Whilst it would be significantly cheaper to simply offer a basic cab with no radio etc. I suppose the enhanced earning potential to prospective drivers is a no-brainer.

You can get an iZettle for £30 + vat, so don't worry too much about that.

In relation to the general thread I think if you have got spare cash, doing what your doing isn't a that bad an investment, provided you can get enough good drivers, and the council keep taxi numbers restricted.

The numbers jozefbloggz put up would lead you to recoup your investment within two years, if everything went well.

But as he mentioned getting good drivers, i.e. ones that pay the rent on time and look after your motor, isn't guaranteed. Although I suppose if you adjusted your rent downwards that might help.

I had a discussion with a mate recently who has a large number of houses he rents out to students. The returns he would get on having ten taxi plates compared to a house with seven students (approx £450,000 each), is interesting.

In short he could earn 3 or 4 times more investing in the taxi plates. I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but interesting none the less.

But as he knows my views on restricting taxi numbers, he is keeping his money in property. :D

Thanks very much for this. I’ve just had a look at the iZettle which is definitely a viable option. It seems they charge 1.75% per transaction which sounds fair enough.

I don’t really have an easy answer re. drivers and know that this could be something of a stumbling block. Given what has been said about the insurance side of things, I’ll really need to look into the associated costs of ‘any driver’ insurance as I hadn’t anticipated the annual premium being quite so high as has been mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:52 pm 

MTM84 wrote:
Another expense I hasn’t considered...do the majority of Glasgow’s taxis have a card machine? I assume this is rented through Glasgow Taxis? Must a radio and card machine be rented together and how much is the card machine?

Whilst it would be significantly cheaper to simply offer a basic cab with no radio etc. I suppose the enhanced earning potential to prospective drivers is a no-brainer.

all gtl taxis must have the credit card machine and must use it,refuse a cc job and one of the arse lickers will grass you up and you get a 30 fine from gtl up your trumpet,whilst the machine itself is free gtl have decreed that the DRIVER must pay the 3.75% charge for the transaction
very difficult to get drivers on a non radio cab,most are rented out single shift

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:56 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
jozefbloggz wrote:

i dont touch the school work with a bargepole,25% discount,no thanks,if i wanted to do charity work id volunteer at oxfam at the weekend,most of the schoolwork is absolute dross that the private hire dont want or cant cover,high payng jobs usually end up in the domain of the arse lickers and brylcreem boys

Please leave school runs alone, so i can have more and quote more

your welcome to them

:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:03 pm 

jozefbloggz wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
jozefbloggz wrote:

i dont touch the school work with a bargepole,25% discount,no thanks,if i wanted to do charity work id volunteer at oxfam at the weekend,most of the schoolwork is absolute dross that the private hire dont want or cant cover,high payng jobs usually end up in the domain of the arse lickers and brylcreem boys

your welcome to them

I get 10% more than meter and 39 weeks work per run each year with paid days off....lol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:36 pm 

jozefbloggz wrote:
MTM84 wrote:

all gtl taxis must have the credit card machine and must use it,refuse a cc job and one of the arse lickers will grass you up and you get a 30 fine from gtl up your trumpet,whilst the machine itself is free gtl have decreed that the DRIVER must pay the 3.75% charge for the transaction
very difficult to get drivers on a non radio cab,most are rented out single shift

Thanks for this...so do you get the card machine as part of the radio rental effectively?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:57 pm 

MTM84 wrote:
jozefbloggz wrote:
MTM84 wrote:

Thanks for this...so do you get the card machine as part of the radio rental effectively?

yes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:58 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
jozefbloggz wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
jozefbloggz wrote:

your welcome to them

I get 10% more than meter and 39 weeks work per run each year with paid days off....lol

at that rate id do them too,but here its the opposite,25% reduction on meter price

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:39 pm 

jozefbloggz wrote:

at that rate id do them too,but here its the opposite,25% reduction on meter price

What idiot is doing the quoting to offer a 25% discount. Must be a right duv.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:39 pm 

jozefbloggz wrote:
MTM84 wrote:
jozefbloggz wrote:
MTM84 wrote:

yes

Thanks again. Got my Glasgow map delivered today...let the fun begin!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 pm 

Should be a doddle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:04 pm 

Haha amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 pm 

Quote:
whilst the machine itself is free gtl have decreed that the DRIVER must pay the 3.75% charge for the transaction

Utter greed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:39 pm 

grandad wrote:
jozefbloggz wrote:

What idiot is doing the quoting to offer a 25% discount. Must be a right duv.

gtl heid yins,salaried,dont care were getting humped rotten,all city council work discounted

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:00 am 

A driver came into my dad’ shop last week and made a comment that he can earn up to £150 a day just on Council jobs alone. I don’t know if that’s nonsense or not but he was adamant that it was those jobs that actually made him good money, before he even thinks about working the ranks, taking other jobs etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:15 am 

MTM84 wrote:
A driver came into my dad’ shop last week and made a comment that he can earn up to £150 a day just on Council jobs alone. I don’t know if that’s nonsense or not but he was adamant that it was those jobs that actually made him good money, before he even thinks about working the ranks, taking other jobs etc.

We have a school run that is £125.00 per day