Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:06 am 

Never had anyone 'quote' an Uber fare at me on the rank, but it happened on two consecutive nights at the weekend there, so hope it's not part of a trend.

On the first occasion the people hadn't actually gotten in and decided to ask other drivers for a quote :roll: , but the second lot got in without asking for any estimation or agreed fare, but once we were on our way they started throwing the Uber quote at me, which they expected me to charge, and things didn't end well at all 8-[

Thing is though that Uber don't operate in the area, and as far as I know the nearest cars are over 50 miles away in Edinburgh.

So while I can just about believe the figures quoted at me for a journey of that length in the Edinburgh area, I find it difficult to believe that Uber would quote £30 for a 14 mile run from Dundee to Cupar in Fife, say. I could well believe they might quote £30 for a 14 mile run, but not if they had to hike a car 50-60 miles to do it, then drive all the way back again.

So does anyone know how Uber's quoting system works in such circumstances?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:57 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I am told that if a driver accepted a hire it is because he is near and available so any dead mileage is his to pay to reach the area of the hire.

I would think uber are quoting in your area to assess the viability of starting up there and that no uber cars were actually available

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:02 pm 

Id have told him to find an uber where i kicked him out

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:23 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Id have told him to find an uber where i kicked him out

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

got the same thing at the weekend,told me the last guy took her to the airport for 10 pounds less,so i asked her why she didnt phone him and ask him to come and pick her up

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 pm 

StuartW wrote:

Down load the app and it will give a quote.

I've just put in Leuchars Station to St Andrews Links and was quoted £9-12 for a normal saloon, £14-19 for an exec motor.

I've also just put in Delhi Airport to Gurgoan and was quoted 190 rupees for a cheapo, and 231 rupees for a premier. In other words about £2.50 to £3 for a 20 mile job.

However the important bit (in relation to your question) is that they have no cars available in your area. Thus should someone mention Uber suggest they book them and wait for a week or two until one comes up.

Thing is if one did turn up I suspect the job would be on surge prices so it could be anything.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:31 am 

Sussex wrote:

Unfortunately I've got an old Windows phone :oops: and I think you can only download the app for Android or iPhone systems.

Quote:
I've just put in Leuchars Station to St Andrews Links and was quoted £9-12 for a normal saloon, £14-19 for an exec motor.

Thanks for that - that seems to be the problem - they're quoting for jobs that the chances of them actually doing are miniscule or effectively impossible.

Quote:
I've also just put in Delhi Airport to Gurgoan and was quoted 190 rupees for a cheapo, and 231 rupees for a premier. In other words about £2.50 to £3 for a 20 mile job.

So approximately the same rates as Skippy, then? :wink:

Quote:
However the important bit (in relation to your question) is that they have no cars available in your area. Thus should someone mention Uber suggest they book them and wait for a week or two until one comes up.

Indeed, but it doesn't help that people are using them to generate quotes and then expecting drivers to match the price. The pair I took the other night just hopped in and didn't mention a price until we were well on the way, and then expected me to match that price and/or a price they claimed to have been charged during the Rate 1 period by a local firm - this was well into the early hours. They were accusing me of overcharging, threatening to report me, blah, blah, and things just went from bad to worse 8-[

Quote:
Thing is if one did turn up I suspect the job would be on surge prices so it could be anything

Yes, but try telling that to some arrogant pi$$ed up people who think they know it all, but in reality know very little.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:32 am 

Anyway, just realised that you can get a 'fare estimate' on Uber's website for any trip - just enter the postcodes, or whatever:

https://www.uber.com/en-GB/fare-estimate/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:09 pm 

On a related point, does anyone know if any local authority *doesn't* set some kind of premium HC tariff for late night runs/unsocial hours?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:11 pm 

StuartW wrote:
On a related point, does anyone know if any local authority *doesn't* set some kind of premium HC tariff for late night runs/unsocial hours?

RUTLAND plated Hackneys do NOT have a meter so there is no fares table

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:34 pm 

StuartW wrote:

I suspect at least one or two, but doubt many more than that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:12 pm 

Sussex wrote:
StuartW wrote:

That will be the same driver..........

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:24 am 

StuartW wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Unfortunately I've got an old Windows phone :oops: and I think you can only download the app for Android or iPhone systems.

Quote:

Thanks for that - that seems to be the problem - they're quoting for jobs that the chances of them actually doing are miniscule or effectively impossible.

Quote:

So approximately the same rates as Skippy, then? :wink:

Don't forget iv gone up by 2 camels

Quote:

Indeed, but it doesn't help that people are using them to generate quotes and then expecting drivers to match the price. The pair I took the other night just hopped in and didn't mention a price until we were well on the way, and then expected me to match that price and/or a price they claimed to have been charged during the Rate 1 period by a local firm - this was well into the early hours. They were accusing me of overcharging, threatening to report me, blah, blah, and things just went from bad to worse 8-[

Quote:
Thing is if one did turn up I suspect the job would be on surge prices so it could be anything

Yes, but try telling that to some arrogant pi$$ed up people who think they know it all, but in reality know very little.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:33 am 

:-s

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:41 am 

StuartW wrote:

skippy is good at that I think it's supposed to mean I'm watching you next time your in Galashiels I'll loosen your front teeth :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:13 pm 

StuartW wrote:

I put, I have gone up 2 camels ,