Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: electric cab in London
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:42 am 

I was in London yesterday for an awards lunch, representing the Council. The taxi I got from St Pancras was one of the new electric ones. I was talking to the driver about it and he seemed very happy with it. It is a bit of a red herring to call it an electric cab because it does have a petrol "generator" on board so that you can boost the 65 mile range to over 300 miles if you need to. He told me that his car was the 4th one to be licensed. On the way back from the awards I was in a diesel TX and the driver was getting quite excited that he was promised one of the new electric cars before Christmas. So from my extensive survey of 2 drivers it would seem that the electric car is becoming a big hit with the drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:58 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I thought they were expecting dozens on Londons' roads by now not a handful. Did see one on the M25 last month not sure if it was on a fare or not

The proof will be how reliable they are a few months or years down the line. Those London boys didn't become Britains richest cabbies by spending fortunes on maintainence so if some hefty bills start coming in for replacement power packs they won't stay popular for long

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:17 pm 

Apparently I could save £100 a week on fuel but,then I would be spending that back via increase in finance costs,then after 5years they will not tell us how much is a power pack.i suspect it may cost a lot of money

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 am 

grandad wrote:
I was in London yesterday for an awards lunch, representing the Council. The taxi I got from St Pancras was one of the new electric ones. I was talking to the driver about it and he seemed very happy with it. It is a bit of a red herring to call it an electric cab because it does have a petrol "generator" on board so that you can boost the 65 mile range to over 300 miles if you need to. He told me that his car was the 4th one to be licensed. On the way back from the awards I was in a diesel TX and the driver was getting quite excited that he was promised one of the new electric cars before Christmas. So from my extensive survey of 2 drivers it would seem that the electric car is becoming a big hit with the drivers.

Two drivers out of 30,000 like it?? A 1.6 petrol engine isn't going to cut the mustard with 5 POB with luggage. After year 1 when they've got over 70,000 on the clock ask them the same questions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:25 pm 

Apparently, there are over 300 licensed in London now. As stated though, the proof is in the pudding. I might just wait a year or so before deciding on my new vehicle. The new Metrocab is due out next year. It has a very similar system to the TXe and promises to be cheaper. The Nissan Dynamo with second generation batteries is also available soon, although it doesn’t have a range extending engine, it does have a 174 mile range. It’s only a 5 seater though, Priced at £42,000.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:50 pm 

rayggb wrote:
Apparently I could save £100 a week on fuel but,then I would be spending that back via increase in finance costs,then after 5years they will not tell us how much is a power pack.i suspect it may cost a lot of money

Question of cost and disposal of batteries was asked of manufacturer of vehicle and they would not,could not answer the question.
Prohibitive is the answer that springs to mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:29 pm 

I’ve heard a price of £10,000 for the batteries. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:16 pm 

x-ray wrote:

And the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:21 am 

x-ray wrote:
Apparently, there are over 300 licensed in London now. As stated though, the proof is in the pudding. I might just wait a year or so before deciding on my new vehicle. The new Metrocab is due out next year. It has a very similar system to the TXe and promises to be cheaper. The Nissan Dynamo with second generation batteries is also available soon, although it doesn’t have a range extending engine, it does have a 174 mile range. It’s only a 5 seater though, Priced at £42,000.

How many do they make a week

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:50 am 

x-ray wrote:

Plus VAT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 am 

MR T wrote:
x-ray wrote:

How many do they make a week

Not sure at the moment but they have the capacity to make 20,000 vehicles a year. This figure includes the new van being launched next year, that’s were the real money is for them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:01 am 

Quote:
It has a very similar system to the TXe and promises to be cheaper.

It would struggle to be dearer.