Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:29 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Saw a PH today at T3 (salisbury plate)

All over the vehicle it was covered in ads proclaiming that they do NO METER PRICES everything standard rate

do punters prefer vehicles that never use a meter and are the drivers really onto a winner with every journey at fixed rates ?

I suspect that short journeys are probably expensive but long journeys are thin margins for the drivers but as i have never seen their price list can't say for sure

I certainly think many customers who don't use taxis regularly prefer a METER rate as they can see what they are paying for and I'm sure the drivers love being stuck in traffic jams with no waiting time

so let the debate begin

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:38 pm 

PH in my area must not use meters, prices should be agreed before the start of the journey.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm 

edders23 wrote:
do punters prefer vehicles that never use a meter and are the drivers really onto a winner with every journey at fixed rates ?

For both sides it depends how the fixed rate compares to the metered rate (obviously), but I suppose sometimes it'll work out better for the driver, and vice versa.

But I certainly wouldn't be keen on fixed rates around town - too much scope for punters who faff about with detours, stop-offs etc, who would start to take the [edited by admin]. Bad enough that sometimes on the longer fixed price runs, never mind round town :roll:

But had a look to see if I could find the firm's website. Don't think I found it, but this one is interesting as it's punting 50% or so discounts on the metered rate (or 'cost from rank', as they call it).

https://www.allthesevens.co.uk/

Used Google to work out a couple of the trip distances, and this is what it came up with, and the metered rate according to the firm:

Andover 18.2 miles - 'Cost from rank': £113 :shock:

Shaftesbury 20.7 miles - 'Cost from rank': £131 :shock:

Somehow doubt these are realistic rank prices - maybe late on Christmas Day or suchlike, but doubt even then if that would be representative of actual fares charged.

So basically they're trying to look like they're doing trips at half the metered rate, but it's all bollocks [-X

To be fair the 'Cost from rank' figures are stated as 'up to', and it's for eight-seaters, but still a bit misleading I think [-(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:36 pm 

Had a look at Wiltshire Council's tariff card, and indeed there seems to be a Tariff 5, which applies to 8-seaters between 2.30am and 6.00am.

This is £6 flag then approx. £6 per mile :shock:

So 10 miles - £66 :shock:
So 20 miles - £126 :shock: :shock:

The saloons at that time are £5 flag then £4 per mile.

So 10 miles - £45
So 20 miles - £85

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:22 pm 

On the office wall

In "law" theres no double time for trips within the LA, in fact T2 isnt even time and half

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:02 pm 

There's an apostrophe in "tariff's". Whoever does the proof reading for the council obviously isn't very good at their job.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:10 pm 

10/15 years ago Lewes hackneys didn't have meters or a council set tariff. Their fares were ridiculously low.

Since Lewes came out of the day ages (although Uber are trying to drag them back) their fares have gradually increased to not be that far from B&H rates.

So from that perspective no meters on PH generally means sh** fares.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:22 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
10/15 years ago Lewes hackneys didn't have meters or a council set tariff. Their fares were ridiculously low.

Since Lewes came out of the day ages (although Uber are trying to drag them back) their fares have gradually increased to not be that far from B&H rates.

So from that perspective no meters on PH generally means sh** fares.

It's the age old story though price competition is the route most take and in our trade the cheapest are usually the most popular amongst punters

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:42 pm 

As a wheelchair user and one that gets very upset at drivers that start the meter before I have got into the car or don't tell me the cost until I have got out the car. I prefer fixed fares Like www.freedomcabs.co.uk offer in Southampton . plus I don't have to worry about weather he is going the best route for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:17 am 

wessex wrote:
As a wheelchair user and one that gets very upset at drivers that start the meter before I have got into the car or don't tell me the cost until I have got out the car. I prefer fixed fares Like http://www.freedomcabs.co.uk offer in Southampton . plus I don't have to worry about weather he is going the best route for me.

So, how long have you worked for freedom cabs?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:27 pm 

wessex wrote:
As a wheelchair user and one that gets very upset at drivers that start the meter before I have got into the car or don't tell me the cost until I have got out the car. I prefer fixed fares Like http://www.freedomcabs.co.uk offer in Southampton . plus I don't have to worry about weather he is going the best route for me.

so do you put yourself into the car,or does the driver get out and put you in??
ie,the hire begins when the driver gets out to put you in,if hes put the meter on how can you not know the cost of the journey
#-o #-o #-o