Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: boot luggage
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 pm 

Question -
If you pick up a fare from a rank or off the set, and they have luggage, and you put that luggage in the boot of your vehicle and then take the passengers to their destination, and they get out and pay you and you drive off with the luggage or shopping, who is at fault, you or the passenger? What do you think should happen next?

Post subject: Re: boot luggage
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:24 pm 

your fault.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 pm 

I think both parties have to accept some responsibility, as for what happens next, you should make every effort to return the luggage, failing that I would probably inform the council/police. ( you never know what the customers might say/do)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:53 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
your fault.....

My fault ? :?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 am 

An interesting point. I know it is in our conditions that we are supposed to check the vehicle for items after every hire but as far as I am aware we are told to hand in lost property to a police station and we are entitled to a sum up to 5% of the value of the goods that have been left. However if some one has left all their luggage in your car I would think the police would be a bit annoyed if you took it to the station. For me it would depend how far I had got before the customer realised. If I was just up the road, I would just take it back. If I had gone several miles I would charge the metered fare and tell them to complain to the company or the council if they didn't agree.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:12 am 

grandad wrote:
An interesting point. I know it is in our conditions that we are supposed to check the vehicle for items after every hire but as far as I am aware we are told to hand in lost property to a police station and we are entitled to a sum up to 5% of the value of the goods that have been left. However if some one has left all their luggage in your car I would think the police would be a bit annoyed if you took it to the station. For me it would depend how far I had got before the customer realised. If I was just up the road, I would just take it back. If I had gone several miles I would charge the metered fare and tell them to complain to the company or the council if they didn't agree.

Police up our way will not accept anything left in vehicle as it costs too much to store it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:24 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
heathcote wrote:
grandad wrote:

Police up our way will not accept anything left in vehicle as it costs too much to store it.

same here BUT there is a thing in law called theft by keeping and if you have not made an adequate attempt to return the luggage then you would be in trouble with the police and licensing authorities as there would surely be some sort of complaint

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:48 pm 

We have the same here, the police don't want to know and the council have no facilities. Over the years I have seen drivers prosecuted for stealing by finding, ie handbags and mobile phones, but my real point of interest is with items placed in the boot. My view of this is that when the driver places things in the boot belonging to the passenger, at that point it becomes his responsibility to make sure the passenger gets them back at the end of the journey. He, in effect, is in control of their property, and there should be no charge made to the customer for it to be returned.

I am not talking about items left in the vehicle. I am interested in your views.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 pm 

MR T wrote:
My view of this is that when the driver places things in the boot belonging to the passenger, at that point it becomes his responsibility to make sure the passenger gets them back at the end of the journey. He, in effect, is in control of their property, and there should be no charge made to the customer for it to be returned.

I think you're right, and if driver is aware that the customer has luggage then it's the driver's responsibility to make sure the luggage leaves the car at the end of the journey.

Of course, a clear cut case would be if the passenger alights and is waiting for the driver to open the boot, but the driver forgets, is in a hurry and drives off.

Less clear cut maybe if the passenger alights, forgets about the luggage and wanders off, and the driver has forgotten as well, and drives off. But here I suspect a licensing committee would say that whatever the passenger did the driver still has a duty of care with regard to the luggage.

So unlike Grandad I would say that it's always the responsibility of the driver to return the luggage FOC. Or, if that's not possible, to treat it as lost property.

Recall a couple of years ago a suitcase was left behind in a local cab. Don't know precisely what happened, but obvious that the driver couldn't return it. So he phoned police, and they said to take it to police HQ in Glenrothes, 20 miles away (I think local station would have been closed at that time). Luckily for the driver a police van arrived by chance, and the driver persuaded them to take the suitcase there and then.

Don't know precisely what happened, and these things are rarely subject to any formal action, but would the driver have been liable for any cost of recovery or any other losses arising? Can't recall exactly what happened, but it was possibly a tourist passenger taking a train to Edinburgh, possibly for a flight abroad, so could cost a fair amount to recover the suitcase, and they might had have to miss their flight, for example, incurring huge costs and inconvenience.

On the other hand, I doubt if a train company has any liability with regard to luggage left on a train, because the staff have no involvement and each passenger's luggage is more obviously their own responsibility. (I mention that because it's often something that impacts on taxis, for example returning to the station to look for lost luggage, maybe left on the platform.)

Of course, it all depends on the individual circumstances. A few years ago I took this head-the-ball from Fife to Aberdeen after he'd been thrown off a train. He told me his life story on the way up - basically, he'd gotten into trouble in Aberdeen with drugs, and moved down to London to get away from it all, start a new life etc. Anyway, he'd now decided to return to Aberdeen, after more bother down south - he was showing me this bandage on his leg from some sort of stabbing injury.

Anyway, when we got to Aberdeen, you've guessed it, he wanted to go to two different addresses before going to his original stated destination. Felt a bit sorry for him, and was a bit worried he'd kick off too, so agreed to do the trips (and according to him he'd no more money apart from the cash he'd given me up front). First stop was in and out fairly quickly, but second stop he disappeared into this tower block, and I'm sure he'd went to do some kind of deal - he said he'd been clean in London, but was threatening to go back on drugs once back in Aberdeen.

So I waited and waited, and waited for more than half an hour in the end. I'd have been offski long before that (as I'd gotten all the money I was going to get), but problem was he'd left behind this big, heavy suitcase, which seemed to contain his whole life.

So in the end I just drove off, and took the case to the nearest police station, and handed it in as lost property. I told them roughly what had happened and about the guy, and who knows what was in the case - don't know if they maybe opened it after I left.

Anyway, I never heard anything more about it, so I assume the case was returned and there was no criminality involved.

But from the point of view of the discussion about left luggage, I think I did all I reasonably could here - I wasn't leaving the car and trudging around a tower block looking for the guy, who was probably off his face by then anyway.

(For anyone who happens to know Aberdeen, the block of flats was in Torry, and I took the case to Nigg police station. Can't recall the address, but looking on the maps and on Streetview it was probably something called Balnagask Circle. Not huge tower blocks, exactly - probably twelve flats per block - but preferred taking the suitcase to the police station rather than chapping on all those doors [-( )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:17 pm 

MR T wrote:
Question -
If you pick up a fare from a rank or off the set, and they have luggage, and you put that luggage in the boot of your vehicle and then take the passengers to their destination, and they get out and pay you and you drive off with the luggage or shopping, who is at fault, you or the passenger? What do you think should happen next?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:29 pm 

Sometimes when things don't go properly it's the fault of no one.

Should the question be does the punter pay for the return trip or should the driver swallow it.

IMO in this case the driver should swallow it and maybe get a customer for life.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:32 pm 

Quote:

It's part of our licensing conditions that we take stuff to the police, and there is never a problem when we do.

Surprised that's not the case UK wide.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

It's part of our licensing conditions that we take stuff to the police, and there is never a problem when we do.

Surprised that's not the case UK wide.

Yes, wondered about that. Suspect it's more a case of police being reluctant to take lost property rather than the strict legal position.

Suspect it's easier in the cities where there's possibly dedicated civilian staff for this kind of thing, particularly during office hours.

Smaller town late at night and officers more likely to have to deal with it, so probably not keen, particular if item of relatively low value.

And on the occasions I've actually gone to police they've sometimes been a bit like some of the punters who've lost stuff - they seem to think it's the driver's fault, rather than the pish-head (usually) who's lost the thing, and possibly just being a bit awkward because they don't like dealing with that sort of stuff.

Have heard the same from plenty of other drivers, which is why I normally put more effort into trying to get lost property back to the punter rather than taking it to the polis [-(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:26 pm 

MR T wrote:
We have the same here, the police don't want to know and the council have no facilities. Over the years I have seen drivers prosecuted for stealing by finding, ie handbags and mobile phones, but my real point of interest is with items placed in the boot. My view of this is that when the driver places things in the boot belonging to the passenger, at that point it becomes his responsibility to make sure the passenger gets them back at the end of the journey. He, in effect, is in control of their property, and there should be no charge made to the customer for it to be returned.

I am not talking about items left in the vehicle. I am interested in your views.

I agree with you my learnedly friend. But with regard to 1847 it does say

For securing the safe custody and re-delivery of any property accidentally left in hackney carriages, and fixing the charges to be made in respect thereof.

So it kind of implies you can make a charge, but I wouldn’t personally charge them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:23 pm 

The thing to do if you go to a police station and they won't accept lost items is just leave them there !
Their problem then.