Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:26 pm 

MR T wrote:
56 Agreements to carry passengers a discretionary distance for a fixed sum If the proprietor or driver of any such hackney carriage, or if any other person on his behalf, agree with any person to carry in or by such hackney carriage persons not exceeding in number the number so painted on such carriage as aforesaid, for a distance to be in the discretion of such proprietor or driver, and for a sum agreed upon, such proprietor or driver shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding [level 1 on the standard scale] if the distance which he carries such persons be under that to which they were entitled to be carried for the sum so agreed upon, according to the fare allowed by this or the special Act, or any byelaw made in pursuance thereof. Amendment Maximum penalty increased by the Criminal Law Act 1977, s 31(6), and converted to a level on the standard scale by the Criminal Justice Act 1982, ss 37, 46. Modification Modified, in relation to the taxi code, by the Licensed Taxis (Hiring at Separate Fares) Order 1986, SI 1986/13 86, art 4.

Never heard of this act. It seems to conflict with the 1847 act and the 1976 act.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:27 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:
The problem is that no cars will cover village to village jobs because of the dead miles getting to the village in the first place. For instance using the map provided, and this is a journey that is requested on a regular basis, a pick up in Stathern and going to Harby. A distance of a little over 1 mile. but it is around 9 miles from town to the pick up. Some drivers will do the job but obviously they do not use the meter and agree a price with the customer which for a hackney within it's district is obviously illegal.
What is being asked is if the Council can re-define the district to being the old Urban district before we became a Borough which joined together the old Urban District and the old Rural district. As far as I am aware, all but 2 of the private hire vehicles licensed in the area are executive cars and don't do this type of work.
So basically, can the Council re-define the district if they want to.

send a private hire with an agreed price

There are only the 2 in the district and they are rarely available.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:35 pm 

grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:
56 Agreements to carry passengers a discretionary distance for a fixed sum If the proprietor or driver of any such hackney carriage, or if any other person on his behalf, agree with any person to carry in or by such hackney carriage persons not exceeding in number the number so painted on such carriage as aforesaid, for a distance to be in the discretion of such proprietor or driver, and for a sum agreed upon, such proprietor or driver shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding [level 1 on the standard scale] if the distance which he carries such persons be under that to which they were entitled to be carried for the sum so agreed upon, according to the fare allowed by this or the special Act, or any byelaw made in pursuance thereof. Amendment Maximum penalty increased by the Criminal Law Act 1977, s 31(6), and converted to a level on the standard scale by the Criminal Justice Act 1982, ss 37, 46. Modification Modified, in relation to the taxi code, by the Licensed Taxis (Hiring at Separate Fares) Order 1986, SI 1986/13 86, art 4.

Never heard of this act. It seems to conflict with the 1847 act and the 1976 act.

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/tpca1847.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:06 pm 

MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:

Are you sure that this means that charges can be agreed over the official tariff for a journey within the district? That seems to go against everything that I have ever read on here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:05 pm 

Quote:
Are you sure that this means that charges can be agreed over the official tariff for a journey within the district? That seems to go against everything that I have ever read on here.

Grandad was not born in 1846...…….But the people that pend the act's usually left a little bit of wiggle room...….. must....you have to do …………….may = wiggle room

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:19 pm 

https://thdaltd.com/acts-of-parliament 57.....But now the hiring is over the phone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 pm 

grandad wrote:

Think it's just saying that if you do a run for a fixed fare then it should cost no more than the equivalent of the metered tariff. Only difference from the usual rule is that it's expressed in terms of distance rather than the fare - if the fare is agreed, you have to cover at least the distance that would be travelled under the metered fare. Maybe a bit more readable if all the additional flimflam is removed:

Town Police Clauses Act 1847 wrote:
56 Agreements to carry passengers a discretionary distance for a fixed sum

If the...driver of any such hackney carriage...agree with any person to carry in or by such hackney carriage persons...for a distance to be in the discretion of such proprietor or driver, and for a sum agreed upon, such proprietor or driver shall be liable to a penalty...if the distance which he carries such persons be under that to which they were entitled to be carried for the sum so agreed upon, according to the fare allowed by this or the special Act...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:31 pm 

StuartW wrote:
grandad wrote:

Think it's just saying that if you do a run for a fixed fare then it should cost no more than the equivalent of the metered tariff. Only difference from the usual rule is that it's expressed in terms of distance rather than the fare - if the fare is agreed, you have to cover at least the distance that would be travelled under the metered fare. Maybe a bit more readable if all the additional flimflam is removed:

If the...driver of any such hackney carriage...agree with any person to carry in or by such hackney carriage persons...for a distance to be in the discretion of such proprietor or driver, and for a sum agreed upon, such proprietor or driver shall be liable to a penalty...if the distance which he carries such persons be under that to which they were entitled to be carried for the sum so agreed upon, according to the fare allowed by this or the special Act...

Ah, so if I agree a price that is equivalent to say 10 miles but the journey with the passenger is only 2 miles then you can't do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:28 am 

grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:
grandad wrote:

Ah, so if I agree a price that is equivalent to say 10 miles but the journey with the passenger is only 2 miles then you can't do it.

Your meter can have different tariffs for different days and even for different times in the same day. Your meter can have an extra charge,whether it be for the number of people being carried in your vehicle or for luggage or whatever.

Your argument to the council is that because of distance, some people in your area are not receiving a taxi service. You could ask to be allowed as an extra, a booking fee on top of the fare, or you could argue that the customer is hiring the vehicle over the phone and the meter should be engaged at that point to cover the unpaid miles there and back, otherwise the customer will receive no service at all. It is the council's responsibility to find a workable solution.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:00 am 

MR T wrote:

Your argument to the council is that because of distance, some people in your area are not receiving a taxi service. You could ask to be allowed as an extra, a booking fee on top of the fare, or you could argue that the customer is hiring the vehicle over the phone and the meter should be engaged at that point to cover the unpaid miles there and back, otherwise the customer will receive no service at all. It is the council's responsibility to find a workable solution.

That is exactly the problem. I am interested in the last sentence. A proposal has been put to the Council for consideration at the next licensing meeting. However if that is rejected then I am sure that the committee will be asked to come up with alternatives. At our recent group meeting this issue was raised by another member who want to put it in our manifesto for the forthcoming elections.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:00 am 

Just remember any extra charges must be displayed on the Hackney tariff sheet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:08 am 

Are there examples of tariff cards which show a substantial booking fee that would justify being hiked several miles?

Any booking fee I've ever seen on a tariff card have been for a couple of quid or so, which really just seems to be to cover an HC travelling from a taxi rank to a pick up reasonably close by in a town or city, and not to cover being hiked several miles to do a short run.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:55 am 

MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:

I am a bit busy so can't go and find it, but I think it is for Taxibusses, out in MPA76 Act land, it now includes PHBusses (Plymouth 75 Act was not modified so Hackney only). We looked into it several years ago in Plymouth, it is in a Road Traffic Act from the 1980's. It is for passengers at separate fixed fares on a Bus route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:44 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
I am a bit busy so can't go and find it, but I think it is for Taxibusses, out in MPA76 Act land, it now includes PHBusses (Plymouth 75 Act was not modified so Hackney only). We looked into it several years ago in Plymouth, it is in a Road Traffic Act from the 1980's. It is for passengers at separate fixed fares on a Bus route.

I think I know what you mean. You have to be registered with the TC to do it. I'm not sure that it is what we are looking for.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:34 pm 

mancityfan wrote:
Just remember any extra charges must be displayed on the Hackney tariff sheet.

like the new £1.50 wheelchair surcharge being added by a base here on top of charging wheelchair users for using an E7/bus type vehicle at 5 seater rates?...