Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Non taxi news
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:35 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
well that's one way to deal with nuisance parking

If there’s one thing you don’t want to see when returning to your car, it’s this.

But it was the reality for one driver who was greeted to his vehicle blockaded by scaffolding after business owner Colin Shaw became so fed-up with cars parking outside the entrance to his warehouse.

Mr Shaw, director of Shaw Scaffolding Services, said drivers regularly ignore the ‘no parking’ sign outside the building in Seaham, County Durham.

So he decided to take matters into his own hands when it happened again on Tuesday.

He said the driver initially didn’t see the funny side when returning to his car – but eventually the pair both laughed it off after a chat.

Mr Shaw said: ‘It all ended okay, we’re all quite happy.’

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:28 pm 

It just beggars belief. :sad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-65960514

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:27 pm 

Sussex wrote:

this is nothing new remember Shipman ? Devastating for the families but could she have been caught sooner ?

I think the residents of Melton had a lucky escape ! Sadly one pilot was killed but the other might wish he hadn't survived judging by the info already out there because it sounds like the one that survived caused the plane crash. :-k

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-66544210

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:31 pm 

Quote:
but could she have been caught sooner ?

Especially when the consultants shared their concerns to the bosses.

Yet those concerns were ignored and sadly more little ones died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66120934

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:24 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
but could she have been caught sooner ?

Especially when the consultants shared their concerns to the bosses.

Yet those concerns were ignored and sadly more little ones died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66120934

yes I saw the documentary last night but this is the latest albeit probably the worst of a number of "dark Angels" including Beverley Allitt whose MO was almost identical to Letby's. Then there was Benjamin Green and Victorino Chua

the common thread was that they all enjoyed being at the center of an emergency and I suppose it has parallels with arsonists who usually enjoy seeing the emergency services swing into action.

I think it is very telling that she was 33 years of age but I have seen no mention in any of the coverage of ex boyfriends just a bit of flirting with married doctors. As much as her friends all say she was such a lovely person she did seem to enjoy being the center of attention. The police couldn't establish a motive but maybe it was simply that she wanted to be in the limelight during an emergency but instead of becoming the hero nurse who assisted the doctor in saving the baby it didn't pan out as she'd hoped.

A seriously flawed personality just such a shame mistakes were made reporting PM and toxicology reports as well as senior management trying to brush it under the carpet to save their own asses. Maybe they should also be tried for criminal negligence ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:36 pm 

Burnt-out shell of 1954 Ferrari fetches $2m at auction

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66563807

The burnt-out shell of an old Ferrari racing car has sold at auction in the US for nearly $2m (£1.5m).

It caught fire during a race in the 1960s and was not touched for decades.

It was driven by Franco Cortese, Ferrari's first racing driver. Analysts say the new buyer may want to restore it so it can race again.

The 1954 car is a 500 Mondial Spider Series I - one of 13 ever made, with a body produced by designer Pinin Farina.

In 1954, Cortese drove the Mondial to a 14th overall finish at the Mille Miglia, a 1,000-mile (1,600km) race through Italy.

Over the years, the Mondial crashed numerous times and suffered fire damage.

In 1978, it was bought by a US collector who preserved it in its damaged condition.

In 2004 the car was discovered - alongside 19 other Ferraris - when a hurricane blew the roof off a barn where they were kept in Florida.

Auctioneer RM Sotheby's says the vehicle will require "a comprehensive restoration to return the car to the condition of its glory days", but the process promises to be "very rewarding".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:20 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:

this is nothing new remember Shipman ? Devastating for the families but could she have been caught sooner ?

I was thinking more about Beverly Allitt. She was a nurse in Grantham and killed 4 children, attempted to kill several others and GBH on even more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:54 am 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I was thinking more about Beverly Allitt. She was a nurse in Grantham and killed 4 children, attempted to kill several others and GBH on even more.

I take it you didn't read my other post then :wink:

and yes Allitt was the same modus operandi As I understand it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:39 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Burnt-out shell of 1954 Ferrari fetches $2m at auction

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66563807

The burnt-out shell of an old Ferrari racing car has sold at auction in the US for nearly $2m (£1.5m).

It caught fire during a race in the 1960s and was not touched for decades.

It was driven by Franco Cortese, Ferrari's first racing driver. Analysts say the new buyer may want to restore it so it can race again.

The 1954 car is a 500 Mondial Spider Series I - one of 13 ever made, with a body produced by designer Pinin Farina.

In 1954, Cortese drove the Mondial to a 14th overall finish at the Mille Miglia, a 1,000-mile (1,600km) race through Italy.

Over the years, the Mondial crashed numerous times and suffered fire damage.

In 1978, it was bought by a US collector who preserved it in its damaged condition.

In 2004 the car was discovered - alongside 19 other Ferraris - when a hurricane blew the roof off a barn where they were kept in Florida.

Auctioneer RM Sotheby's says the vehicle will require "a comprehensive restoration to return the car to the condition of its glory days", but the process promises to be "very rewarding".

Even more baffling is why would 2 very wealthy (and youd think intelligent) men blow millions JUST ON A COURT CASE to identify who had the real Lister Jaguar?

Quote:
Allen Lloyd and Stefan Svenby have been in dispute for four years over the right to display the number plate WTM 446 and the chassis number BHL 126 on their 1959 Lister Jaguars. The two men left court at the end of February after a judge told them it was not his business to settle such quarrels.

Mr Lloyd, whose fortune was generated by the Lloyds Pharmacy chain, sued Mr Svenby, as a result of conflicting desires by each man to lay claim to the original car that bore the disputed ID marks. That particular vehicle had not only raced in the 1963 Le Mans 24-hour race, but was also the star of the classic British racing film, The Green Helmet.

The court endured a week of claim and counter-claim about the various states of disrepair into which two chassis and two complete sets of parts had fallen before being restored to their current impressive conditions. However, Mr Justice Stanley Burnton refused to rule that either man’s car had a better claim to the chassis number, and consequently the registration number, than the other.

"itsh my jewar, no itsh MY jagwer"

https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/customer ... e-squabble

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:48 pm 

Remember these Monarch Airlines resurrected

Monarch is set to take to the skies again - six years after going bust: Airline prepares to stage comeback after collapsing into £466m debts and leaving 110k holidaymakers stranded abroad, sparking Britain's biggest ever peacetime repatriation

Monarch Airlines is set to stage a comeback six year after collapsing into £466million debts and leaving 110,000 holidaymakers stranded abroad.

The company claimed it will resurface as a 'premium alternative to low-cost leisure carriers' and fill a hole in capacity following the Covid pandemic.

The airline has been reinstated at Companies House, with its head office in Luton, according to The Times.

Reports over the weekend said the airline had been 'passed into new ownership, with social media posts including the tagline 'Let's Monarch'.

When the company collapsed in October 2017 it was Britain's fifth largest airline, after expanding to sell scheduled flights as well as package offers.

Daniel Ellingham, 64, is now chairman of the revitalised company.

In an interview with American trade publication Airways, he said: 'I am honoured to be able to lead the iconic Monarch brand into a new era, now 55 years after it first took to the skies.

'It is immensely rewarding to know that we are soon going to launch a new and strong company for the UK tourism sector.'

Mr Ellingham explained that the company has received initial investments from firms in Britain and the EU.

The airline is currently talking with another British airline to acquire 15 A320 short-haul aircraft.

In 2017 the Luton-based airline imploded, leaving thousands of customers high and dry and prompting the UK's biggest peacetime repatriation.

At the time, it was reported only around 43,000 people - five per cent of all victims - would definitely get their cash back under the government-backed Atol scheme that protects package holidays.

Everyone else was told they would have to claim the money spent on flights back through credit card firms and banks.

There was also growing anger over how Monarch handled its collapse amid claims its customers and staff were left in the dark and told they were 'operating as normal' before hearing the bad news via text or email.

At the time, the CAA revealed that the airline had alerted it more than a month earlier that it was in difficulty.

The former Monarch boss told MailOnline that he wished to apologise to Monarch customers and staff.

'The most important thing for me to add is to say how sorry I am that the company has had to enter administration and that so many customers have been inconvenienced and that so many jobs have been lost,' he said.

'Today's been a heartbreaking day.'

He added that the decline of the airline was triggered by terror attacks in Monarch's destinations, but the coup de grace was 'the Brexit referendum and the fact that it put our costs up by £40million because the pound collapsed.'

would you risk booking with them ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:51 pm 

Quote:

Not a problem via a credit card.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:43 pm 

Oh No not another one :sad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66657019

Three sudden child deaths have been investigated at Birmingham Children's Hospital following the arrest of a nurse accused of poisoning.

The hospital trust said it had carried out a review after the female nurse was held in May 2022 but that police were only probing one of the deaths.

The woman was arrested on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life hours after a child died on the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit.

She was released under investigation.

An extensive clinical review of deaths and sudden deterioration in children on the unit was undertaken by clinicians at the trust after the staff member was held.

Dr Fiona Reynolds, Chief Medical Officer at Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust, said the findings had been shared with police.

"We have communicated with all families where the care of their child has been reviewed and have responded openly to all requests from West Midlands Police and the coroner on this matter," she said.

"At all times our priority is patient safety which is why we took decisive action without delay."

Dr Reynolds said the nurse was suspended straight away and "the trust immediately followed the standard safeguarding protocol for the sudden unexpected death of a child and West Midlands Police were notified the same day".

A spokesperson for West Midlands Police said its investigation into the alleged poisoning continued

"A 28-year-old woman remains under investigation in connection with the death of an infant," the force said.

"The child sadly passed away on Thursday 19 May, 2022, at hospital.

"The woman was arrested at a property in the West Midlands area on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:47 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Not a problem via a credit card.

well it never even got off the ground (pun intended)

failed already

Plans to resurrect Monarch Airlines six years after it failed have collapsed due to a lack of money.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:24 pm 

Quote:
Plans to resurrect Monarch Airlines six years after it failed have collapsed due to a lack of money.

Not having funds to start the business is quite a basic flaw. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:33 am 

Art or a scam ?

take the money and run

A Danish artist has been ordered to return nearly 500,000 kroner (€67,000) to a museum after he supplied it with two blank canvasses for a project he named "Take the Money and Run".

The Kunsten Museum in Aalborg had intended for Jens Haaning to embed the banknotes in two pieces of art in 2021.

Instead, he gave it blank canvasses and then told dr.dk: "The work is that I have taken their money."

A court has now ordered him to return the cash - but keep some for expenses.

The art project was intended as a statement on salaries in Denmark and Austria.

The museum asked for the artist to return all the money, around 534,000 kroner (£61,000 / €71,635 / $76,539) - but Mr Haaning refused.

Now, after a long legal battle, a Copenhagen court on Monday ordered Mr Haaning, 58, to refund the museum 492,549 kroner.

That figure, it said, was equivalent to the sum the museum had given him minus the artist's fee and the mounting cost.

Museum director Lasse Andersson said that he had laughed out loud when he first saw the two blank canvasses in 2021, and decided to show the works anyway.

"He stirred up my curatorial staff and he also stirred me up a bit, but I also had a laugh because it was really humoristic," the museum's director, Lasse Andersson, told the BBC's Newsday programme in 2021.

After the judgment, Mr Haaning told dr.dk that he did not plan taking the case any further.

"It has been good for my work, but it also puts me in an unmanageable situation where I don't really know what to do."

He told TV2 Nord on Monday the museum had made "much, much more" money than what it invested thanks to the publicity surrounding the affair.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next