Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Non taxi news
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:29 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
whoops has the flying money pit crashed ?

some dafty didn't know what they were doing perchance

Two people have been treated in hospital after a collision involving the Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station in the Highlands.

Police Scotland said the incident happened at low speed at about 19:00 on Friday at Aviemore Station.

A man and woman sustained minor injuries and were taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness as a precaution.

Officers said their injuries were not believed to be serious.

A force spokesperson said: "A number of other passengers were assessed by the ambulance service at the scene and did not require hospital treatment.

"Inquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances."

ScotRail said services were now able to run normally through Aviemore.

The operator added the emergency response was focused on the private Strathspey Railway heritage line, near to the main line which links the Highlands with the central belt.

A spokesman for Network Rail said: "It's on a heritage railway line, it's not our infrastructure.

"We are saying to passengers to check before travelling."

Strathspey Railway has been asked for comment.

The alarm was raised at about 19:00 on Friday at Aviemore Station.
British Transport Police confirmed officers were working with Police Scotland.

Scotland's First Minister Humza Yousaf thanked the emergency services on social media.

He added: "My thoughts with those affected, I wish them a speedy recovery."

The steam locomotive was built in Doncaster in 1923
The newly restored Flying Scotsman was unveiled last year ahead of a series of events to celebrate its centenary.

only 1/3rd of the chassis was retained the rest is a completely new build :roll:

The 97-tonne locomotive was built in Doncaster in 1923, and is now owned by the National Railway Museum in York.

The steam locomotive was the first in the UK to officially reach 100mph, and was the first-ever service to run non-stop from London to Edinburgh.

It is owned and operated by the National Railway Museum but maintained by Riley & Son (E) Ltd, based in Heywood, Greater Manchester.

As part of its centenary year, the locomotive is visiting railway stations around the UK and has spent time at the National Railway Museum.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:32 pm 

Theres a thinly veiled opposition to steam locos, especially on main line tracks (i know this wasnt) and i bet there will be a massive fine and halting of operations pending an inquiry by health and safety

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:18 pm 

this is an interesting development :-k

private police force takes first arrestee to court

firm dubbed Britain's first 'private police force' is to take a suspected burglar to court for the first time after officers failed to investigate a shoplifting spree.

TM Eye were called in after £500 of sirloin steak and 20 bottles of prosecco were taken from an M&S.

The private investigating force of former police detectives was called in after police decided not to investigate.

Two detectives were quickly able to identify a suspect on the store's CCTV - making an arrest and allegedly getting a confession recorded on their body cams, the Telegraph reported.

The suspect - who faces a maximum of 14 years in prison - is now set to be prosecuted for five burglaries, including a second alleged offence at the same supermarket.

SO if this is a successful prosecution can the perpetrator be jailed ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:33 pm 

Quote:

Yes, if he is found to be a persistent offender.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:16 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

even though this is a private prosecution not a cps one ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:04 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

even though this is a private prosecution not a cps one ?

Doesn't matter.

What if these folks 'arrested' someone for GBH, would that be classed as a civil matter?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:26 pm 

In Fife, even the 60-somethings are kicking and punching the Rottweilers (not the other way round :shock: )

Wouldn't bother with this, but there's a St Andrews element to it all, but not much detail, and nothing to do with the dogs.

But can't believe he got away with an admonishment (ie just a warning) after a trial and guilty verdict. He kicked and punched the dog, and tried to set it on some women. And, separately, he acted 'in a threatening or abusive manner in St Andrews on 16 April 2021 by swearing and uttering threats of violence.'

No punishment for Fife man who punched Rottweiler and encouraged it to attack women

The sheriff called William Smith's behaviour "a blip".

A dog walker who punched and kicked his Rottweiler before setting it on two women has been allowed to escape any punishment.

William Smith, 64, was found guilty of repeatedly kicking the dog on the body and punching it to the head.

He was also found guilty of grabbing the dog’s face and trying to set it on two women who bravely questioned his behaviour.

But at Dundee Sheriff Court, Sheriff Jillian Martin-Brown admonished Smith and refused to impose any order to disqualify him from keeping dogs in future.

Admonishment means although the accused has the conviction on his criminal record, no further punishment is meted out.

Guilty after trial

Smith, from Auchtermuchty, denied any wrongdoing but was found guilty after a trial of repeatedly kicking the dog on the body and punching it on the head.

He was found guilty of grabbing the dog by the face and pulling it in front of horrified witnesses at Birnie Loch near Ladybank in Fife on April 21 2021.

He was also found guilty of two charges of encouraging the dog to attack women in the same location when they questioned him about his behaviour.

And he was found guilty of acting in a threatening or abusive manner in St Andrews on 16 April 2021 by swearing and uttering threats of violence.

Dog banning order rejected

The court was told there had been an incident while other people had been walking their dogs on the lochside and had seen Smith attacking his pet.

Fiscal depute Sarah Wilkinson previously asked the court to grant a dog banning order against Smith but that was refused by the sheriff.

Sheriff Jillian Martin-Brown noted Smith – a first offender – had been of good behaviour since the incident and accepted it had been “a blip.”

She said: “In light of the fact you have been of good behaviour, I will admonish you.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:28 pm 

Quote:
He was found guilty of grabbing the dog by the face and pulling it in front of horrified witnesses at Birnie Loch near Ladybank in Fife on April 21 2021.

He was also found guilty of two charges of encouraging the dog to attack women in the same location when they questioned him about his behaviour.

And he was found guilty of acting in a threatening or abusive manner in St Andrews on 16 April 2021 by swearing and uttering threats of violence.

Funny that the two incidents were only five days apart :-o

So he's been of good behavior since the incidents. But nothing about his history before the incident. I'd put money on him having previous [-(

(Article actually says he's a first offender, which seems very bizarre given his age and the two unrelated incidents five days apart. I smell a rat...)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:49 am 

Not sure such a lenient sentence would be passed down here.

But clearly we love our animals a little bit more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:55 pm 

electric SUV gets targetted by climate activists

Proof if ever any was needed of just how brain dead some of these eco activists are :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:52 pm 

Lincoln driver saved by CO detector

A grandfather has described how his family had a lucky escape after their home filled with carbon monoxide.

Dale Radley, who had been at home with his wife, their 21-year-old daughter, and two-year-old grandson, said they owe their lives to a detector.

The Lincoln taxi driver said he was told had they not had one, they might "not have woken up the next morning".

He urged homeowners to get one installed.

Mr Radley, 60, said the alarm had been activated while his wife Dawn made lunch using the gas oven on 21 January.

"I went upstairs to check [the alarm]," he said. "I reset it and immediately it went off again. That's when I thought I needed to get the fire brigade."

Firefighters told Mr Radley the readings on their equipment were "very high, upstairs and downstairs".

"The crew basically said without a carbon monoxide detector there would have been a possibility we wouldn't have woken up the next morning," he said.

A gas engineer turned off the supply to the house and investigations traced the source to a single ring on the back of the cooker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:25 am 

edders23 wrote:
Lincoln driver saved by CO detector

A grandfather has described how his family had a lucky escape after their home filled with carbon monoxide.

Dale Radley, who had been at home with his wife, their 21-year-old daughter, and two-year-old grandson, said they owe their lives to a detector.

The Lincoln taxi driver said he was told had they not had one, they might "not have woken up the next morning".

He urged homeowners to get one installed.

Mr Radley, 60, said the alarm had been activated while his wife Dawn made lunch using the gas oven on 21 January.

"I went upstairs to check [the alarm]," he said. "I reset it and immediately it went off again. That's when I thought I needed to get the fire brigade."

Firefighters told Mr Radley the readings on their equipment were "very high, upstairs and downstairs".

"The crew basically said without a carbon monoxide detector there would have been a possibility we wouldn't have woken up the next morning," he said.

A gas engineer turned off the supply to the house and investigations traced the source to a single ring on the back of the cooker.

33 years ago we rented off a private landlord, after s few eeks of headaches we call british gas, the gas boiler was dangerous and they locked it off till serviced, this was on a christmas eve

we asked the LL to get it done, after 3 days with no heating or hot water we paid the £150 to a registered gas repairs company

we knocked the £150 off our due rent and the LL evicted us....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:46 pm 

I dread to think what went through the minds of those drivers as this happens

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68663488

A dreadful event and to think if it had happened in rush hour :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 pm 

Absolute nightmare.

As you say, can you imagine how many vehicles would have been there at rush hour?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:01 am 

The amount of conspiracy-theory nonsense I've seen going round about it is truly baffling...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next