Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17837
My son has been doing some price checks with other firms in the area. All of them are hackney and should be using the meter for jobs within the borough.
We have been told about overcharging but some of the prices are unbelievable. The first was a quote at 02.00 on a sunday morning from our night club to an address on the edge of the town, about 1.2 miles. the price requested was £22.00
Another was a run in an 8 passenger vehicle from an old folks home to a local ice cream parlour that should have been about £13.00 and the price was £25.00 each way these were both from the town with no dead miles.
The next one is a village to village job that again has to be priced from the pick up to the drop off because our council do not allow any fee for picking up out of town. The job, if done on the meter should be £9.70 at rate 1 and £12.00 for rate 2. 2 firms said that they couldn't do it and to try us as we are private hire, another one gave out the number for another hackney carriage and the rest have so far offered prices ranging from£20.00 at rate 1 and £25.00 for rate 2 right up to £35.00 each way.
I wonder if the Council will do anything when he reports it?

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1758
grandad wrote:
My son has been doing some price checks with other firms in the area. All of them are hackney and should be using the meter for jobs within the borough.
We have been told about overcharging but some of the prices are unbelievable. The first was a quote at 02.00 on a sunday morning from our night club to an address on the edge of the town, about 1.2 miles. the price requested was £22.00
Another was a run in an 8 passenger vehicle from an old folks home to a local ice cream parlour that should have been about £13.00 and the price was £25.00 each way these were both from the town with no dead miles.
The next one is a village to village job that again has to be priced from the pick up to the drop off because our council do not allow any fee for picking up out of town. The job, if done on the meter should be £9.70 at rate 1 and £12.00 for rate 2. 2 firms said that they couldn't do it and to try us as we are private hire, another one gave out the number for another hackney carriage and the rest have so far offered prices ranging from£20.00 at rate 1 and £25.00 for rate 2 right up to £35.00 each way.
I wonder if the Council will do anything when he reports it?



You should request they do a mystery shopper exercise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 13087
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
heathcote wrote:
grandad wrote:
My son has been doing some price checks with other firms in the area. All of them are hackney and should be using the meter for jobs within the borough.
We have been told about overcharging but some of the prices are unbelievable. The first was a quote at 02.00 on a sunday morning from our night club to an address on the edge of the town, about 1.2 miles. the price requested was £22.00
Another was a run in an 8 passenger vehicle from an old folks home to a local ice cream parlour that should have been about £13.00 and the price was £25.00 each way these were both from the town with no dead miles.
The next one is a village to village job that again has to be priced from the pick up to the drop off because our council do not allow any fee for picking up out of town. The job, if done on the meter should be £9.70 at rate 1 and £12.00 for rate 2. 2 firms said that they couldn't do it and to try us as we are private hire, another one gave out the number for another hackney carriage and the rest have so far offered prices ranging from£20.00 at rate 1 and £25.00 for rate 2 right up to £35.00 each way.
I wonder if the Council will do anything when he reports it?



You should request they do a mystery shopper exercise.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah right that doesn't happen in rural districts :roll:

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43749
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
I wonder if the Council will do anything when he reports it?

It needs someone with a phone to book the job, record the job, and then report the job.

Might be a good article for the local press.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 13087
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
If this is a booking NOT rank job and the price has been agreed how is it illegal ?

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43749
Location: 1066 Country
edders23 wrote:
If this is a booking NOT rank job and the price has been agreed how is it illegal ?

Because it's a hackney.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:17 pm
Posts: 2349
Surely hackney has to go on the meter price unless it goes out of boundary?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22134
Location: A City near Birmingham
heathcote wrote:


You should request they do a mystery shopper exercise.


at 2am?
:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22134
Location: A City near Birmingham
roythebus wrote:
Surely hackney has to go on the meter price unless it goes out of boundary?


in theory

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17837
wannabeeahack wrote:
roythebus wrote:
Surely hackney has to go on the meter price unless it goes out of boundary?


in theory

It is the law!

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22134
Location: A City near Birmingham
grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
roythebus wrote:
Surely hackney has to go on the meter price unless it goes out of boundary?


in theory

It is the law!



Feck the law

The LA would need a witness and receipt and complaint before even scratching thier a55es and opening the office blinds...

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17837
wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
roythebus wrote:
Surely hackney has to go on the meter price unless it goes out of boundary?


in theory

It is the law!



Feck the law

The LA would need a witness and receipt and complaint before even scratching thier a55es and opening the office blinds...
The offering of the price is an offence so the journey does not need to take place. The price was requested by text and the price was confirmed by text by the driver/company.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22134
Location: A City near Birmingham
Quote:
The offering of the price is an offence so the journey does not need to take place. The price was requested by text and the price was confirmed by text by the driver/company.


do it then

the fallback is "estimated"

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1758
wannabeeahack wrote:
Quote:
The offering of the price is an offence so the journey does not need to take place. The price was requested by text and the price was confirmed by text by the driver/company.


do it then

the fallback is "estimated"



There is no mention of it being an estimated fare in the original posting, a hackney carriage CANNOT charge more than metered fare within its licensing district this includes contracts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rogue prices
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:00 am
Posts: 11
Location: Wolverton, buckinghamshire
heathcote wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
Quote:
The offering of the price is an offence so the journey does not need to take place. The price was requested by text and the price was confirmed by text by the driver/company.


do it then

the fallback is "estimated"



There is no mention of it being an estimated fare in the original posting, a hackney carriage CANNOT charge more than metered fare within its licensing district this includes contracts.


We have HC in our firm who do fares with are more than Meter been here doing for centuries also contracts as well which are more than metered price.

No one has ever batted a eye lid


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group