Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:26 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I think the law still stands that you cannot refuse a fare even if going out of area unless there are GENUINE fears for safety

Even ignoring the strict legal position, it's all a bit academic, because in practical terms it would be unenforceable.

If you didn't want to do an out-of-area job then just quote a hugely inflated price, and they won't want you. Voila!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:00 pm 

StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:
I think the law still stands that you cannot refuse a fare even if going out of area unless there are GENUINE fears for safety

Even ignoring the strict legal position, it's all a bit academic, because in practical terms it would be unenforceable.

If you didn't want to do an out-of-area job then just quote a hugely inflated price, and they won't want you. Voila!

Our Tariff card states that if you can’t agree on a price (outside of your area) the meter must be used.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:26 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Our Tariff card states that if you can’t agree on a price (outside of your area) the meter must be used.

Or, very obviously, you refuse the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:14 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
x-ray wrote:

Or, very obviously, you refuse the job.

You could, but I think you’d be on thin ice to refuse it just because the punter wouldn’t pay an inflated price. Best just to refuse it and not give a reason, other than stating the fact you can!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:22 pm 

53 Penalty on driver for refusing to drive A driver of a hackney carriage standing at any of the stands for hackney carriages appointed by the commissioners, or in any street, who refuses or neglects, without reasonable excuse, to drive such carriage to any place within the prescribed distance, or the distance to be appointed by any byelaw of the commissioners, not exceeding the prescribed distance, to which he is directed to drive by the person hiring or wishing to hire such carriage, shall for every such offence be liable to a penalty not exceeding [level 2 on the standard scale].

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:22 pm 

ours states that on out of town hires the driver is under no obligation to take the hire,very clear,no grey areas,you dont have to leave your licenced area if you dont wish to,no preposterous scenarios from edders
8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:45 pm 

MR T wrote:
or the distance to be appointed by any byelaw of the commissioners, not exceeding the prescribed distance, to which he is directed to drive by the person hiring or wishing to hire such carriage.

Am I correct in my understanding of this that a Council can change the prescribed distance to a shorter prescribed distance by bringing in a byelaw?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:18 pm 

grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:
or the distance to be appointed by any byelaw of the commissioners, not exceeding the prescribed distance, to which he is directed to drive by the person hiring or wishing to hire such carriage.

Am I correct in my understanding of this that a Council can change the prescribed distance to a shorter prescribed distance by bringing in a byelaw?

68 Byelaws for regulating hackney carriages The commissioners may from time to time (subject to the restrictions of this and the special Act) make byelaws for all or any of the purposes following; (that is to say,) For regulating the conduct of the proprietors and drivers of hackney carriages plying within the prescribed distance in their several employments, and determining whether such drivers shall wear any and what badges, and for regulating the hours within which they may exercise their calling: For regulating the manner in which the number of each carriage, corresponding with the number of its licence, shall be displayed: For regulating the number of persons to be carried by such hackney carriages, and in what manner such number is to be shown on such carriage, and what number of horses or other animals is to draw the same, and the placing of check strings to the carriages, and the holding of the same by the driver, and how such hackney carriages are to be furnished or provided: For fixing the stands of such hackney carriages, and the distance to which they may be compelled to take passengers, not exceeding the prescribed distance: For fixing the rates or fares, as well for time as distance, to be paid for such hackney carriages within the prescribed distance, and for securing the due publication of such fares; For securing the safe custody and re-delivery of any property accidentally left in hackney carriages, and fixing the charges to be made in respect thereof. Modification Modified, in relation to the taxi code, by the Licensed Taxis (Hiring at Separate Fares) Order 1986, SI 1986/13 86, art 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:31 pm 

grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:

It has been known for some not to have any. byelaws

Read
http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/tpca1847.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:43 pm 

grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:

Not sure that would get past the Secretary of State.