Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:30 am 

Working saturday night at the ranks and waiting with a few drivers chatting away and a few ladies looking for a taxi and saying to them selves between each other (no not the black cab they too expensive rip off etc) looking out for a PH they approached a few who didn't accept as already booked, then the ladies went over to the first cab on rank and asked price 15 miles at 1am driver quoted around £35 and the ladies where like noo too expensive we normally pay no more than £20 so they tried to call a PH but no luck in end approached the cab driver again and the can drivers response was something like (I'm not going to take you go get a PH where too expensive for you so you trying to ind a cheap unbooked PH and because you couldn't you came to me in end so im not going to take you.

You think this was acceptable personally have seen many times people always try their luck with PH waiting around if no they leave black cab as last resort

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:17 am 

Presumably the fare was going out of area? Then entirely up to the driver, I suppose.

Of course, if it was within the council area then the driver would be duty bound to accept the run, assuming the women were willing to pay the metered fare, obviously

Reminds me a bit of our rank, where some of the regulars walk past the car at the head of the rank and go direct to the drivers who'll give them a pound or two off the fare :roll:

But once in a blue moon they can't find their pet driver, and get into my car, and while I'd rather not take them I just do it to keep the peace and avoid a kick off. And since they're just local fares I'm duty bound to take them anyway :(

(One of them sometimes stands on the corner of the street near the rank waiting on his driver if he's not on the rank, but he flagged me down the other night (think he got fed up waiting), and I just drove past him, but managed to resist the temptation to give him the finger :lol: )

As regards these women, though, since it sounds like a good fare I'd probably just swallow my pride and take them - beggars can't be choosers, and all that :-|

But I'd quite understand any driver who didn't want to take them on a point of principle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:07 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Presumably the fare was going out of area? Then entirely up to the driver, I suppose.

Of course, if it was within the council area then the driver would be duty bound to accept the run, assuming the women were willing to pay the metered fare, obviously

Reminds me a bit of our rank, where some of the regulars walk past the car at the head of the rank and go direct to the drivers who'll give them a pound or two off the fare :roll:

But once in a blue moon they can't find their pet driver, and get into my car, and while I'd rather not take them I just do it to keep the peace and avoid a kick off. And since they're just local fares I'm duty bound to take them anyway :(

(One of them sometimes stands on the corner of the street near the rank waiting on his driver if he's not on the rank, but he flagged me down the other night (think he got fed up waiting), and I just drove past him, but managed to resist the temptation to give him the finger :lol: )

As regards these women, though, since it sounds like a good fare I'd probably just swallow my pride and take them - beggars can't be choosers, and all that :-|

But I'd quite understand any driver who didn't want to take them on a point of principle.

I see it every weekend PH form a Rank outside a busy establishment near the cab rank and customers just walk past us and get into the ph
council say they are waiting for booked jobs but seeing as they wait in a que and customers get into the first in line we know its un booked jobs but council always trying to avoid
but i have witnessed if its a local job the driver will often tell the customers to go the the black cab as its not worth his while but also i have realized some of the prices they charge customers who approach them far too more than the metered fare but customers still think we are expensive as its a Meter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:29 pm 

Same old same old rashid. Punters wanting cheap cheap,ph goosing as per normal,LA's doing flip all as normal .The said HC driver should do as he sees fit ,I wouldn't blame him either way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm 

I quite like taking them after they’ve tried to find cheaper, as the band Blur once said “it gives me a sense of enormous well being” :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 pm 

Quote:
You think this was acceptable personally have seen many times people always try their luck with PH waiting around if no they leave black cab as last resort

I wouldn't take them.

Yes people are free to negotiate as they please, but if I offer a reasonable price (and I think £35 for a 15 mile job that time of night is reasonable) and they refuse, then so be it. But they don't get a second chance.

Also as the job is 15 miles a hackney is free to refuse, unless you are in a huge licensing area.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:13 pm 

rashid wrote:
I see it every weekend PH form a Rank outside a busy establishment near the cab rank and customers just walk past us and get into the ph
council say they are waiting for booked jobs but seeing as they wait in a que and customers get into the first in line we know its un booked jobs but council always trying to avoid
but i have witnessed if its a local job the driver will often tell the customers to go the the black cab as its not worth his while but also i have realized some of the prices they charge customers who approach them far too more than the metered fare but customers still think we are expensive as its a Meter

We're more or less 100% HCs here, so don't have these issues, but similar kinds of 'ethical dilemmas' arise as between the rank drivers. For example, the locals who regularly use discounted cars, as above.

Then there are those who just get into the nearest car to them, regardless of where it is on the rank.

Or they don't like the eight-seaters and get in a saloon instead.

The price negotiations tend to be on the longer runs, and although every driver moans about it, everyone does it.

But it's really just a free for all, and drivers just grab any fare if they get the chance.

The only knock backs tend to be the very short runs, which can obviously cause conflict, and is obviously illegal, but not really a lot the other drivers can do about it in practical terms.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Yes people are free to negotiate as they please, but if I offer a reasonable price (and I think £35 for a 15 mile job that time of night is reasonable) and they refuse, then so be it. But they don't get a second chance.

Certainly sounds a reasonable price for an expensive area like Bucks.

We're £46 for a 15-mile run on T2, although suspect most drivers would do it for £40. And some a lot less - if it was taking them home, say (quite a few drivers live in Dundee, which is about that distance away).

Sussex wrote:
Also as the job is 15 miles a hackney is free to refuse, unless you are in a huge licensing area.

Runs from here potentially 40+ miles within the council area.

Although I'm not 100% sure if the refusal area is to outside our East zone, or if it covers the whole Fife Council area (but even within the zone fares can potentially be 20+ miles).

But it's all pretty academic on runs of that length. Pretty unlikely a driver would refuse a run of that distance if it was on the meter.

And on rare occassions that I've seen such runs refused (because they've got a booking lined up, say) then there's always another driver more than willing to take the run. Like me :-o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 am 

StuartW wrote:
rashid wrote:

We're more or less 100% HCs here, so don't have these issues, but similar kinds of 'ethical dilemmas' arise as between the rank drivers. For example, the locals who regularly use discounted cars, as above.

Then there are those who just get into the nearest car to them, regardless of where it is on the rank.

Or they don't like the eight-seaters and get in a saloon instead.

The price negotiations tend to be on the longer runs, and although every driver moans about it, everyone does it.

But it's really just a free for all, and drivers just grab any fare if they get the chance.

The only knock backs tend to be the very short runs, which can obviously cause conflict, and is obviously illegal, but not really a lot the other drivers can do about it in practical terms.

Isn't their anything we as hackney drivers can do to stop ph ranking outside busy premises because it is stealing alot of work away i've been parked on the rank over a hour sometimes and just seen anyone who comes out walk straight upto the ph and often heard myself are you free?, how much is it to here? can you take me/us here please?
and the council keep telling us they are not plying but waiting for booked fares
and its frustrating watching them take the work away and laugh in our faces as they know they are not going to get caught

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:43 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I think the law still stands that you cannot refuse a fare even if going out of area unless there are GENUINE fears for safety

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I think the law still stands that you cannot refuse a fare even if going out of area unless there are GENUINE fears for safety

It can't still stand as it has never existed!

Never been a "requirement" to go out of Licensing District. and, if you choose to, you can "Negotiate" the fare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:09 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Chris the Fish wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Never been a "requirement" to go out of Licensing District. and, if you choose to, you can "Negotiate" the fare.

I remember this discussion with local LO a few years ago and it is the STARTING point i,e, if you are approached you must take the fare even if it is going out of area maybe it is different in plymouth as you have a different act of parliament and bye laws to work from

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:57 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:
edders23 wrote:

I remember this discussion with local LO a few years ago and it is the STARTING point i,e, if you are approached you must take the fare even if it is going out of area maybe it is different in plymouth as you have a different act of parliament and bye laws to work from
The LO was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:06 pm 

edders23 wrote:

It been established law since 1847 (possibly before) that you can refuse out of area work from a rank within the area.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pm 

rashid wrote:
Isn't their anything we as hackney drivers can do to stop ph ranking outside busy premises because it is stealing alot of work away i've been parked on the rank over a hour sometimes and just seen anyone who comes out walk straight upto the ph and often heard myself are you free?, how much is it to here? can you take me/us here please?
and the council keep telling us they are not plying but waiting for booked fares
and its frustrating watching them take the work away and laugh in our faces as they know they are not going to get caught

Even ignoring actually taking unbooked fares, several factors here seem to indicate that the PHVs are plying for hire:

- They're forming a queue, thus resembling an HC rank;

- It's close to an HC rank, thus can confuse public into thinking they're HCs;

- It's in busy area where people are looking for HCs.

But if council say they're waiting for booked fares then probably not much you can do about it :?