Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:56 pm 

If your driving someone elses car, all insured and covered (on the owners insurance) minding your own business and a tractor/forks dow, hits the back of the car, you have 6 physio sessions but no compo (this was 6 years ago) would you expect it adversely affect YOUR taxi insurance now?...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:13 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
If your driving someone elses car, all insured and covered (on the owners insurance) minding your own business and a tractor/forks dow, hits the back of the car, you have 6 physio sessions but no compo (this was 6 years ago) would you expect it adversely affect YOUR taxi insurance now?...

When we renew our fleet policy we are required to provide our claims experience for the last 3 years. This has been an issue because 3 years ago one of our drivers ran over a chap who had collapsed in the road due to drink and the claim has not yet been settled but a sum of £200,000 has been set aside. This October we don't have to declare that incident so we will see if it makes a difference come October.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Not after six years. Pretty sure any claim has to be bought before the court within 6 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:15 am 

This was mentioned in the bus driver's CPC course I attended last year.

There's a statute limit of 6 years but certainly anything less than 6 years needs to be declared even a non-fault accident, driving someone else's car/taxi/bus. It's all on the central database and yes, they do check up. Don't declare and your insurance could be null and void for failing to declare.

And going slightly off thread but on topic, insurance premiums for all London bus operators (TfL) have increased substantially due to the number of cyclists choosing to get killed by buses. Rates have gone up by 50% in some cases and on a policy costing maybe £12k a year, with my firm running 100 buse, it's a huge increase. TfL are "concerned" as to how it will affect tender prices. The law of unintended consequences again.