Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: not the brightest
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45013
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
NEVER accept a police caution for anything

That's not good advice.

If you are innocent, then I agree don't accept a caution just to get out of the police station and get on with your life.

However if you did what you are accused of, and the evidence is stacked up against you, then you are a mug if you don't accept the caution.

As you will still get the conviction, and the record, but on top of that you will have to pay a fine, victim surcharge and costs.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: not the brightest
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:17 pm
Posts: 2418
I have to disagree with you there. Other fora have advised against the police caution. The conviction in the mags gets wiped off your record after 6 years, the caution stays on your record for ever.

I've read of some who have refused a police caution. The police have not taken any action. Why? Because there isn't enough evidence to gain a conviction in court. a caution is the coppers' lazy way out of investigating something properly and getting a "nick" out of it. Ticking the boxes to use modern parlance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: not the brightest
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45013
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
The conviction in the mags gets wiped off your record after 6 years, the caution stays on your record for ever.

As someone who knows a bit about Mag Court rules, they never come off.

Clearly as time goes on (and depending on the offence) the convictions carry less weight, but they can stay there for ever.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: not the brightest
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45013
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
I've read of some who have refused a police caution. The police have not taken any action. Why? Because there isn't enough evidence to gain a conviction in court. a caution is the coppers' lazy way out of investigating something properly and getting a "nick" out of it. Ticking the boxes to use modern parlance.

I get that, and in many instances that may well be a course of action someone could take. But if you know that you have done a crime, and the police have good evidence, then a caution in many cases is a sensible outcome for the individual.

In fact many times the duty solicitor will try and negotiate a caution rather than proceed to court.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: not the brightest
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:17 pm
Posts: 2418
That's a bit different if you know you've dunnit. But few realise it stays with you a long time.

So DD lasts 10 years, a caution may be preferable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: not the brightest
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am
Posts: 9887
Location: Clandestine, soon to be Russia.
roythebus wrote:
I have to disagree with you there. Other fora have advised against the police caution. The conviction in the mags gets wiped off your record after 6 years, the caution stays on your record for ever.

I've read of some who have refused a police caution. The police have not taken any action. Why? Because there isn't enough evidence to gain a conviction in court. a caution is the coppers' lazy way out of investigating something properly and getting a "nick" out of it. Ticking the boxes to use modern parlance.



A "conviction and a caution" stay on your file for life. I have both dating back to 1981 and 1982 and they still show up on my DBS .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: not the brightest
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am
Posts: 9887
Location: Clandestine, soon to be Russia.
Sussex wrote:
Quote:
The conviction in the mags gets wiped off your record after 6 years, the caution stays on your record for ever.

As someone who knows a bit about Mag Court rules, they never come off.

Clearly as time goes on (and depending on the offence) the convictions carry less weight, but they can stay there for ever.



=D> =D> =D>


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group