UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: not the brightest
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am 

Quote:
NEVER accept a police caution for anything

That's not good advice.

If you are innocent, then I agree don't accept a caution just to get out of the police station and get on with your life.

However if you did what you are accused of, and the evidence is stacked up against you, then you are a mug if you don't accept the caution.

As you will still get the conviction, and the record, but on top of that you will have to pay a fine, victim surcharge and costs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:46 pm 

I have to disagree with you there. Other fora have advised against the police caution. The conviction in the mags gets wiped off your record after 6 years, the caution stays on your record for ever.

I've read of some who have refused a police caution. The police have not taken any action. Why? Because there isn't enough evidence to gain a conviction in court. a caution is the coppers' lazy way out of investigating something properly and getting a "nick" out of it. Ticking the boxes to use modern parlance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 pm 

Quote:
The conviction in the mags gets wiped off your record after 6 years, the caution stays on your record for ever.

As someone who knows a bit about Mag Court rules, they never come off.

Clearly as time goes on (and depending on the offence) the convictions carry less weight, but they can stay there for ever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:37 pm 

Quote:
I've read of some who have refused a police caution. The police have not taken any action. Why? Because there isn't enough evidence to gain a conviction in court. a caution is the coppers' lazy way out of investigating something properly and getting a "nick" out of it. Ticking the boxes to use modern parlance.

I get that, and in many instances that may well be a course of action someone could take. But if you know that you have done a crime, and the police have good evidence, then a caution in many cases is a sensible outcome for the individual.

In fact many times the duty solicitor will try and negotiate a caution rather than proceed to court.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:58 am 

That's a bit different if you know you've dunnit. But few realise it stays with you a long time.

So DD lasts 10 years, a caution may be preferable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 am 

roythebus wrote:
I have to disagree with you there. Other fora have advised against the police caution. The conviction in the mags gets wiped off your record after 6 years, the caution stays on your record for ever.

A "conviction and a caution" stay on your file for life. I have both dating back to 1981 and 1982 and they still show up on my DBS .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:06 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
The conviction in the mags gets wiped off your record after 6 years, the caution stays on your record for ever.

As someone who knows a bit about Mag Court rules, they never come off.

Clearly as time goes on (and depending on the offence) the convictions carry less weight, but they can stay there for ever.

=D> =D> =D>