Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:11 pm 

Quote:
How is it state aid when you have a contract.

In the same way the community bus scam has been deemed illegal state aid.

I would imagine somewhere they have contracts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 pm 

Mate of mine rang the vehicle finance company and they were great, repayments suspended for three months, then review.

Another mate of mine rang the mortgage company, again three months suspended, then review.

So it's not all doom and gloom.

My message is if you have repayments then speak to those companies in the next few days.

Or go and work temporary for one of the supermarkets.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:52 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Mate of mine rang the vehicle finance company and they were great, repayments suspended for three months, then review.

Another mate of mine rang the mortgage company, again three months suspended, then review.

My message is if you have repayments then speak to those companies in the next few days.

Fortunately the car is paid off, but I rent in the private sector, so don't know what might happen with that.

At a rough guess I'd say they'd suspend payments for a couple of months, but the problem is that it would have to be repaid later, so not like a mortgage or car repayments, where the loan can just be extended for the appropriate period :sad:

Quote:

Are they recruiting? :-o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:57 pm 

Quote:
but I rent in the private sector, so don't know what might happen with that.

Clearly an issue.

Down here the rental market, at the mo, isn't as lucrative as it has been. Thousands of students have all gone home early and left loads of places empty.

Including 100s and 100s of Chinese who have been renting lots of expensive apartments.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:16 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Down here the rental market, at the mo, isn't as lucrative as it has been. Thousands of students have all gone home early and left loads of places empty.

Indeed, and I'm hoping that will work in my favour with ghost town St Andrews just five miles away - probably find it difficult to get another tenant, and I've been paying my rent on time for three and a half years now :-|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:16 am 

StuartW wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Fortunately the car is paid off, but I rent in the private sector, so don't know what might happen with that.

At a rough guess I'd say they'd suspend payments for a couple of months, but the problem is that it would have to be repaid later, so not like a mortgage or car repayments, where the loan can just be extended for the appropriate period :sad:

Quote:

Looking for 40,000 breakfast news states.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:46 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Are you saying that school contracts are illegal?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:54 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:

yup 40000 shelf stackers needed to keep up with demand

One of my customers went to a farm foods outlet last night they had nothing but they told her the company had warehouses full of stock just not the staff to get it onto the shelves

There is also a large requirement for HGV delivery drivers so if you have a license as many hours as you can legally do available short term at quite a few distribution firms

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 pm 

Quote:

No.

The discussion was about illegal EU state aid.

You said how can anything be illegal state aid if there was a contract, I just mentioned that the community bus scam was deemed illegal yet they had a contract somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:49 pm 

Quote:
There is also a large requirement for HGV delivery drivers so if you have a license as many hours as you can legally do available short term at quite a few distribution firms

B&H buses are losing all their drivers, who have HGVs, to the gov to help out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:25 pm 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

It's basically about an unfair subsidy, particularly, for example, if it doesn't apply to all in a particular sector of a market, such as the taxi trade.

In fact there are claims that elements of the UK Government support package may fall foul of the EU state aid rules, which supposedly still apply. This is quite a brief summary and explanation of why the rules might still apply. Think it's all academic now, though, and the Treasury is effectively saying that the EU will relax the rules in light of Covid-19.

Breitbart wrote:
As the finance minister was announcing the measures as part of an “unprecedented” package of government support for businesses through the pandemic, however, the European Union was reportedly moving to block certain aspects of his aid package.

According to Steven Swinford, the deputy political editor at The Times, the European Commission believes that, for example, offering business rates exemptions to specific sectors rather than all sectors violates state EU aid rules.

Britain technically left the EU at the end of January, but despite losing its representation in the European Council and European Parliament, very little has changed, with the country remaining subject to its laws, judges, and Free Movement migration regime — to the extent that the pandemic has not disrupted it — through a so-called “transition” period to the end of December, which may now be extended.

Press Association wrote:
The Government has written to the EU calling for them to alter the state aid rules that ban ministers from handing over more than 200,000 euros (£185,000) to each business, the PA news agency understands.

Treasury officials have notified the European Commission that they intend to “disapply rules appertaining to state aid as they expect approval to be granted”, according to a Government source.

Councils have also been informed that they should assume the commission will grant the move and can begin informing businesses from which they collect rates.[…]

A Treasury spokesman said: “We have not asked the commission to scrap state aid rules.

“We welcome the commission’s proposed state aid flexibilities around Covid-19 and the work they are doing to react to the ongoing economic disruption.

“We believe there is a case for a specific, temporary and targeted business rates intervention, and we have applied to the commission for their approval of the measure.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:33 pm 

now we have ridiculous social distancing rules

So today waitrose limited the store to no more than 28 people at a time so customers were queueing outside for up to 1.5 hours waiting till it was their turn to enter the store and shop the queue went right round the car park and out to the main road and none were stood 2 metres apart :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:08 pm 

And still the utter fruitcakes in London crowd the tubes.

I wonder if it will take the deaths of their love ones to wake up and take proper notice of the gov guidance.

Personally I believe they should shut the tube and give all NSH and other emergency staff taxi vouchers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Personally I believe they should shut the tube and give all NSH and other emergency staff taxi vouchers.

No tubes here, but the buses are normally so empty here I doubt there's any more danger than going to the supermarket, say. And even quieter since it's all kicked off - doubt if I've seen many buses with more than three or four people on them, many with fewer, or totally empty.

Funny thing, though, the few passengers still seem to be crowding towards the rear of the bus, as bus users tend to do :-s

Don't know, but that was a day or two ago - suspect the message maybe getting through now.

But that's maybe why personally I'd feel safer on a near-empty bus than in a confined space with a taxi driver [-(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm 

must admit that in town today people seemed to be more or less doing it but I notice some shops are working to 1.5 metres and some to 2 metres and all are operating restricted opening hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next