Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45013
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
How is it state aid when you have a contract.

In the same way the community bus scam has been deemed illegal state aid.

I would imagine somewhere they have contracts.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45013
Location: 1066 Country
Mate of mine rang the vehicle finance company and they were great, repayments suspended for three months, then review.

Another mate of mine rang the mortgage company, again three months suspended, then review.

So it's not all doom and gloom.

My message is if you have repayments then speak to those companies in the next few days.

Or go and work temporary for one of the supermarkets.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5658
Sussex wrote:
Mate of mine rang the vehicle finance company and they were great, repayments suspended for three months, then review.

Another mate of mine rang the mortgage company, again three months suspended, then review.

So it's not all doom and gloom.

My message is if you have repayments then speak to those companies in the next few days.

Fortunately the car is paid off, but I rent in the private sector, so don't know what might happen with that.

At a rough guess I'd say they'd suspend payments for a couple of months, but the problem is that it would have to be repaid later, so not like a mortgage or car repayments, where the loan can just be extended for the appropriate period :sad:

Quote:
Or go and work temporary for one of the supermarkets.

Are they recruiting? :-o


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45013
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
but I rent in the private sector, so don't know what might happen with that.

Clearly an issue.

Down here the rental market, at the mo, isn't as lucrative as it has been. Thousands of students have all gone home early and left loads of places empty.

Including 100s and 100s of Chinese who have been renting lots of expensive apartments.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5658
Sussex wrote:
Down here the rental market, at the mo, isn't as lucrative as it has been. Thousands of students have all gone home early and left loads of places empty.

Indeed, and I'm hoping that will work in my favour with ghost town St Andrews just five miles away - probably find it difficult to get another tenant, and I've been paying my rent on time for three and a half years now :-|


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:23 pm
Posts: 4067
Location: Lincoln
StuartW wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Mate of mine rang the vehicle finance company and they were great, repayments suspended for three months, then review.

Another mate of mine rang the mortgage company, again three months suspended, then review.

So it's not all doom and gloom.

My message is if you have repayments then speak to those companies in the next few days.

Fortunately the car is paid off, but I rent in the private sector, so don't know what might happen with that.

At a rough guess I'd say they'd suspend payments for a couple of months, but the problem is that it would have to be repaid later, so not like a mortgage or car repayments, where the loan can just be extended for the appropriate period :sad:

Quote:
Or go and work temporary for one of the supermarkets.

Are they recruiting? :-o


Looking for 40,000 breakfast news states.

_________________
Father of the rank.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 18082
Sussex wrote:
Quote:
How is it state aid when you have a contract.

In the same way the community bus scam has been deemed illegal state aid.

I would imagine somewhere they have contracts.

Are you saying that school contracts are illegal?

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 13874
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
Are they recruiting? :-o


yup 40000 shelf stackers needed to keep up with demand

One of my customers went to a farm foods outlet last night they had nothing but they told her the company had warehouses full of stock just not the staff to get it onto the shelves

There is also a large requirement for HGV delivery drivers so if you have a license as many hours as you can legally do available short term at quite a few distribution firms

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45013
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
Are you saying that school contracts are illegal?

No.

The discussion was about illegal EU state aid.

You said how can anything be illegal state aid if there was a contract, I just mentioned that the community bus scam was deemed illegal yet they had a contract somewhere.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45013
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
There is also a large requirement for HGV delivery drivers so if you have a license as many hours as you can legally do available short term at quite a few distribution firms

B&H buses are losing all their drivers, who have HGVs, to the gov to help out.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5658
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:
How is it state aid when you have a contract.

In the same way the community bus scam has been deemed illegal state aid.

I would imagine somewhere they have contracts.

Are you saying that school contracts are illegal?

It's basically about an unfair subsidy, particularly, for example, if it doesn't apply to all in a particular sector of a market, such as the taxi trade.

In fact there are claims that elements of the UK Government support package may fall foul of the EU state aid rules, which supposedly still apply. This is quite a brief summary and explanation of why the rules might still apply. Think it's all academic now, though, and the Treasury is effectively saying that the EU will relax the rules in light of Covid-19.

Breitbart wrote:
As the finance minister was announcing the measures as part of an “unprecedented” package of government support for businesses through the pandemic, however, the European Union was reportedly moving to block certain aspects of his aid package.

According to Steven Swinford, the deputy political editor at The Times, the European Commission believes that, for example, offering business rates exemptions to specific sectors rather than all sectors violates state EU aid rules.

Britain technically left the EU at the end of January, but despite losing its representation in the European Council and European Parliament, very little has changed, with the country remaining subject to its laws, judges, and Free Movement migration regime — to the extent that the pandemic has not disrupted it — through a so-called “transition” period to the end of December, which may now be extended.


Press Association wrote:
The Government has written to the EU calling for them to alter the state aid rules that ban ministers from handing over more than 200,000 euros (£185,000) to each business, the PA news agency understands.

Treasury officials have notified the European Commission that they intend to “disapply rules appertaining to state aid as they expect approval to be granted”, according to a Government source.

Councils have also been informed that they should assume the commission will grant the move and can begin informing businesses from which they collect rates.[…]

A Treasury spokesman said: “We have not asked the commission to scrap state aid rules.

“We welcome the commission’s proposed state aid flexibilities around Covid-19 and the work they are doing to react to the ongoing economic disruption.

“We believe there is a case for a specific, temporary and targeted business rates intervention, and we have applied to the commission for their approval of the measure.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 13874
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
now we have ridiculous social distancing rules

So today waitrose limited the store to no more than 28 people at a time so customers were queueing outside for up to 1.5 hours waiting till it was their turn to enter the store and shop the queue went right round the car park and out to the main road and none were stood 2 metres apart :wink:

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45013
Location: 1066 Country
And still the utter fruitcakes in London crowd the tubes.

I wonder if it will take the deaths of their love ones to wake up and take proper notice of the gov guidance.

Personally I believe they should shut the tube and give all NSH and other emergency staff taxi vouchers.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5658
Sussex wrote:
Personally I believe they should shut the tube and give all NSH and other emergency staff taxi vouchers.

No tubes here, but the buses are normally so empty here I doubt there's any more danger than going to the supermarket, say. And even quieter since it's all kicked off - doubt if I've seen many buses with more than three or four people on them, many with fewer, or totally empty.

Funny thing, though, the few passengers still seem to be crowding towards the rear of the bus, as bus users tend to do :-s

Don't know, but that was a day or two ago - suspect the message maybe getting through now.

But that's maybe why personally I'd feel safer on a near-empty bus than in a confined space with a taxi driver [-(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 13874
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
must admit that in town today people seemed to be more or less doing it but I notice some shops are working to 1.5 metres and some to 2 metres and all are operating restricted opening hours

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group