Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm 

Trying to work out how much you think this would be worth (or *was* worth) because obviously standard car valuation guides don't work too well for ex-cabs with high mileage.

Anyway, it's a 12-plate Mondeo (registered June 2012), fairly basic trim level, I suspect, 125,000 miles, used as HC for several years. Not bad for age and mileage, owner-driven, well-looked after compared to many trade vehicles.

Except it failed the MoT in December for this:

Quote:
Offside Front Headlamp aim too far to the right
:lol:
Reason I'm laughing is that I told him several times over months that one of his headlights was a bit off - you could notice it easily from several hundred yards if he was driving towards you :roll:

Reason I'm asking is because I know how much he got for it as a plated-HC, so trying to work out how much he got for the plate.

(Obviously all bets are off now as regards valuations like this, but pretend it happened in January before all the coronavirus kick-off. Which is around when the sale actually happened.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:24 pm 

Down here those sort of cars go for around £3-4,000 fully licensed.

But I suppose it depends on how many years you have left under the council's age limit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:07 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Down here those sort of cars go for around £3-4,000 fully licensed.

But I suppose it depends on how many years you have left under the council's age limit.

Thanks - I was thinking maybe a grand less than that (so £2-3,000), but then again I was thinking more second hand car rather than licenced vehicle.

Council increased the age rule from eight to ten years a couple of years ago (bucking the recent trend, obviously), and given what's happening I can't see the maximum age being reduced before it gets to ten, so it had 2.5 years to run as an HC when sold.

But apparently the cab sold for £10k, so plate probably worth £7k or so.

Of course, probably difficult to get a buyer at any price until this all blows over, so figures academic.

But just trying to work out how much my assets might be worth (or maybe liabilities at the moment).

My car is similar mileage but two years younger, and slightly more, er, desirable.

So was assuming I would have got at least £10k for it before it all kicked off.