All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: parity with PAYE
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:59 pm 

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johnson- ... n-gb%3Av10

Post subject: Re: parity with PAYE
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:36 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Signed

just as a thought I wonder if Sussex can do a mass email to all registered users :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:17 pm 

I wonder how many self employed drivers have actually declared their true turnover and profits? I know drivers who have never declared a penny and are now moaning that they are not going to get much. I think it is unrealistic to ask for a figure that is the same as turnover.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:30 pm 

grandad wrote:
I wonder how many self employed drivers have actually declared their true turnover and profits? I know drivers who have never declared a penny and are now moaning that they are not going to get much. I think it is unrealistic to ask for a figure that is the same as turnover.

I would be happy if I could receive enough to cover my fixed costs whilst being in 14 weeks isolation,ie licensing costs,insurance,road fund license.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:55 pm 

grandad wrote:

Indeed, I mean if you're not working then you're not using fuel etc, and saving a bit on repairs and maintenance.

I'd be more than happy to get 80% of the *profit* on my tax return.

If drivers haven't declared anything for years and lose out then, sorry, but I won't have much sympathy.

But it's maybe all wishful thinking anyway, and if work is wiped out completely then we'll be left to rely on benefits or our own savings/investments, for anyone luck enough to have them at least.

Anyway, I'm off out for a few hours and I'm dreading it and have been putting it off.

This week has been very poor, but not quite as bad as January, and if it stayed like that for a few months then I'd struggle by.

But with the pubs and restaurants closed, and the last of the remaining students slowly disappearing, it's not looking good here.

And the rest of the transport network partially closing down as well, with no trains at our station after 8pm or so. Only hope is that this (and the curtailed bus service) encourages people to use taxis.

Part of me hopes it's a complete wipeout rather than a further slowdown, because then I'd at least know where I stand rather than maybe sitting on the ranks 60 hours per week for £100 in fares, or whatever. For several months :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:57 pm 

edders23 wrote:
just as a thought I wonder if Sussex can do a mass email to all registered users :wink:

Data rules against all that now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:59 pm 

grandad wrote:
I wonder how many self employed drivers have actually declared their true turnover and profits?

Do you really wonder? Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:00 pm 

grandad wrote:
I know drivers who have never declared a penny and are now moaning that they are not going to get much. I think it is unrealistic to ask for a figure that is the same as turnover.

Maybe they could take the last three years tax returns and come to a number based on that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:08 pm 

I know our drivers who agreed to be employed are feeling a bit happier at the moment. We have laid them off because work has now died and in order that they will get at least 80% of their wages and if the County Council agree to pay the 60% of the school runs we have told them they will get 100%.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:24 am 

This one will hit a million

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300336

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Part of me hopes it's a complete wipeout rather than a further slowdown, because then I'd at least know where I stand rather than maybe sitting on the ranks 60 hours per week for £100 in fares, or whatever. For several months :sad:

Well that was a complete waste of time. Lulled myself into a false sense of optimism and got a £5.20 run within half an hour on the rank (£7 with tip :-o ).

Then waited more than four hours on our main night rank for, er, nothing :sad:

Gave up and went home about 10.40pm.

As I said, very few taxis around to begin with even before the big shut down on Friday, but tonight I think the few that were out just gradually gave up and went home. At around 10pm I was the only car on the rank, while normally there would be about 20 or so there on Saturday night.

Think I was really the only independent around anyway, from what I could see, but just a very small number of office cars knocking around by the time I went home.

One office driver I spoke to before I left had done four jobs since 4pm, so almost two hours a run, and the way he spoke I'm assuming they were all locals (sure he'd have told me if they'd been decent jobs :roll: )

Suspect the best chance for the independents will be weekdays in the afternoon/early evening, so I'll probably try a day or two next week, but suspect it'll be a waste of time, and would get £10-£15 in fares if lucky.

Anyone know any good loan sharks? 8-[

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:47 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:
I know drivers who have never declared a penny and are now moaning that they are not going to get much. I think it is unrealistic to ask for a figure that is the same as turnover.

Maybe they could take the last three years tax returns and come to a number based on that.

I hope they do take it as an average of the last three years, otherwise I’m sunk! I had a ‘proper’ job 9-5 Monday to Friday and just worked the cab weekends to make my wages up. In the end I was working just as many hours as I was when I was driving full time, only without the freedom of coming and going as I please. So, I only had part time accounts. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:47 pm 

There's an article on Taxi Point which indicates something might be coming our way next week.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/tory- ... -19-crisis

Now it might be little or nothing, but our trade does need help and we need it urgently.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:45 pm 

grandad wrote:
I know our drivers who agreed to be employed are feeling a bit happier at the moment. We have laid them off because work has now died and in order that they will get at least 80% of their wages and if the County Council agree to pay the 60% of the school runs we have told them they will get 100%.

Whats the procedure for getting the 80% for staff?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:57 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:

Whats the procedure for getting the 80% for staff?

I don't know yet. All I know is that it will be sorted out by HMRC probably by looking at the PAYE records of the employees. The awkward bit at the moment is that we are all due a pay rise on April 1st due to the minimum wage going up. We had already written to the staff stating that their hourly pay was being increased from £8.40 per hour to £8.80 per hour this is a 4.76% increase. The same percentage increase was also being applied to the salaried staff so I wonder if this will also be covered?