Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:25 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
So they've gone and announced the lock down after people were busy crowding beaches etc. on the weekend but the detail is not very clear

what do they mean by essential work travel ?

The little work we have left is to and from nursing homes Staff and shoppers for supermarkets etc. I have advised my drivers we are working from home tomorrow but still accepting bookings. I don't want my drivers getting fined for being out on the rank

The customers I picked up last Tuesday night who had been to Spain said the taxis out there were still working during the lock down

SO where do we find out if we are allowed to sit on the taxi ranks or not or even if we are actually allowed to take and complete phone bookings

Would the local council have any information tomorrow or will the police be given details of what is or isn't permitted ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm 

My thoughts are that we are essential workers, and we can still work. Should we want to.

People will need moving, and also these food parcels will need moving.

I think a significant % of taxi/PH drivers will work, as they need to feed their families, but should the gov sort out some financial grant for the self-employed, then I wonder how many in our trade will work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 pm 

I should think public transport will still be running to enable essential workers to get to where they need to go, not sure about private hire, but aren’t Hackney’s part of public transport as well?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 pm 

agabbycabbie wrote:
I should think public transport will still be running to enable essential workers to get to where they need to go, not sure about private hire, but aren’t Hackney’s part of public transport as well?

I think both taxis and private hire are classed as part of the public transport set up.

Most, but not all, of hospital work is done via PHVs.

Most, but not all, of supermarket work is done via PHVs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:57 pm 

Seeing the live pictures from Sky News London is defo locked down tonight.

However the way many Londoners have behaved, alongside many other idiots, you have to wonder if the penny has dropped at last.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:40 pm 

Just had a message from the private hire company I “work” for, they have decided to shut the company for 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:46 pm 

This is off the UK Gov web site which list essential/key staff.

Transport
This includes those who will keep the air, water, road and rail passenger and freight transport modes operating during the COVID-19 response, including those working on transport systems through which supply chains pass.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:51 pm 

agabbycabbie wrote:
Just had a message from the private hire company I “work” for, they have decided to shut the company for 3 weeks.

Not the first, won't be the last.

What our trade desperately needs is similar financial help as has been given to employed workers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:57 am 

even the blurb on the government website doesn't define it clearly I have decided to operate a phone call only service and have asked the drivers living farthest away to stay at home and told the others stay at home unless I call them with a job to cover. Until i can find out if we can work the ranks or not I don't want to risk drivers getting fined for sitting on the rank :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 am 

there were 3 taxis using the rank at 06.50 this morning when asked all of them said just waiting till it's time for my school run :roll:

I can see what will happen the police will target taxis for flouting the new rules unless we get clarification from HMG that it is allowed

My passenger I took to work this morning (nursing home) said she had been told that she has to carry a letter permitting her to travel to work :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am 

I have been parked up since Friday and will remain so for some time.
My house sale is off, but that is the least of my worries.
If drivers can work, I’ll leave it those who need to, to feed their families.
I’m looking for voluntary work when I’m over the cold I’ve got.
Snot everywhere definitely not coronavirus.
Near neighbours elderly father in hospital in a serious condition.
Was going to retire soon, now might be the time.
Wishing each and every one of you the best of luck for the future.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:54 pm 

edders23 wrote:
even the blurb on the government website doesn't define it clearly I have decided to operate a phone call only service and have asked the drivers living farthest away to stay at home and told the others stay at home unless I call them with a job to cover. Until i can find out if we can work the ranks or not I don't want to risk drivers getting fined for sitting on the rank :sad:

Can't really see a huge amount of difference between sitting on a rank or sitting at home waiting for work - unless you just think that police couldn't enforce the latter, but could deal with cars sitting on a rank.

But I can't see anything to suggest the trade is banned from working, whether pre-booked or public hire.

As far as I can see nobody's actually been banned from working apart from those where people congregate - most obviously bars, clubs and restaurants, and now shops, apart from the likes of pharmacies and food shops.

Otherwise the 'lockdown' seems to be more about social contact than banning people from working, unless they've been specifically targeted, or they can work from home (and obviously the trade can't provide any kind of service from home).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:01 pm 

council phoned me up this morning we can work as long as I give the drivers the choice but must not allow front seat passengers and carry hand sanitizer which is just not available

one little local shop has a small stock they are asking £9.80 for a 100ml bottle :shock: not at that price

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 pm 

edders23 wrote:
council phoned me up this morning we can work as long as I give the drivers the choice but must not allow front seat passengers and carry hand sanitizer which is just not available

one little local shop has a small stock they are asking £9.80 for a 100ml bottle :shock: not at that price

Oh, so we're now having 350 councils deciding how we can actually work?

That'll be interesting :-|

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:12 pm 

Fife Council have basically copped out of saying whether or not we can work, and have simply referred enquiries to the UK Government's online stuff.

Fife Council wrote:
The Licensing Team will now be working from home. We can be contacted by phone on 03451555555 ext. 442299 or by email on misc.licensing@fife.gov.uk

We’ve received a number of queries about key workers & if you can still operate. We would ask you to follow all government guidance on the Coronavirus which is available on the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

However, In an effort to assist you we have found information that suggests that key workers have been defined as people who are “in posts which ensure that essential services can be delivered and cover tasks within the local community which support the vulnerable and aid community resilience”

There are useful updates on the various news websites that you will find useful.

We will post updates on topics that might assist you, as we receive them and as the situation develops.

Keep well and stay safe.