Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:14 pm 

Fife Council wrote:
However, In an effort to assist you we have found information that suggests that key workers have been defined as people who are “in posts which ensure that essential services can be delivered and cover tasks within the local community which support the vulnerable and aid community resilience”

Not really sure where this stuff about 'key workers' comes from and its relevance to the trade. Can't see any general stuff about key workers and/or how that might affect the trade. From what I can see Fife Council's definition of key worker is about whether people can access daycare for their kids while the schools are closed if they're considered a 'key worker', so not really sure how relevant it is to whether the trade can continue to operate.

But looking at the UK Government's stuff about the lockdown, it seems more about closing non-essential shops and retails outlets, gyms, hotels, libraries, bingo halls and other premises where people might congregate in large numbers and in close proximity.

So most retail premises will have to close, such as clothes shops, hair salons or mobile phone suppliers on the high street, but retailers considered essential can stay open, such as food shops, pharmacies, newsagents, petrol stations (I'm assuming they actually mean filling stations, not that you won't be able to fuel up with diesel), banks, post offices and launderettes/dry cleaners. Also pet shops and bicycle shops, oddly enough.

So you won't be able to buy a new suit, get a haircut, bet on a horse or a get a new mobile phone (on the high street, at least), but you should be able to buy food, newspapers, fuel and take your car to the garage for repairs or an MoT.

But as regards the trade I can't see anything that might suggest that HCs and PHs can't operate, any more than that trains and buses can't run.

Of course, it's conceivable that your council might impose specific restrictions, but I suspect most will effectively pass the buck and leave it to central government.

Anyway, that's my unprofessional interpretation of what's happening, but if anyone's in any doubt then they should seek appropriate advice - I'd imagine that your local licensing department would be the best place for that, although I suspect most won't have too much to say about it.

The full list of premises that have to close and the exceptions is available here. One surprise is that 'taxi' offices aren't included on the list one way or the other.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... inalVF.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:29 pm 

I'm a PHV driver and finished early last night as it went very quite (although it did pick up a bit later for an hour apparently). I got some sleep and then came out after 4am this morning, knowing the day driver doesn't come out early.

6 of the 7 jobs I did after coming back out were workers going to work (3 NHS), 2 supermarkets and a bus driver to get a train to the town where he works. The 7th was a guy getting a train somewhere that wasn't work related.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:40 pm 

My office has removed all office rent and stopped any car rentals until over.

Insurance still needs paying.

I am an owner driver. So for me it’s just working in the local area. Done 20 jobs yesterday and 19 today. All bar 2 were for essential travel.

We are essential to providing people with relatively safe travel in comparison to a bus.

I chose to work with gloves, gel and wipes. I assess all passengers pre journey. Windows open. Jokingly caughing and touching the interior unnecessarily is also advised that won’t be tolerated.

I highlight that others have to also use my car for essential travel.

If we have to stop working. It will be a pretty bad decision by the government.

But just my opinion.

I also won’t allow a driver to pull to the side of me for a chat. Unless they park on the opposite side of the road to speak.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:49 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
I chose to work with gloves, gel and wipes.

completely unavailable round here :sad:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:19 pm 

Quote:
My office has removed all office rent and stopped any car rentals until over.

=D>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:24 pm 

Today was definitely busier than yesterday and the weekend. Still crap, but not super crap.

Vast majority non drivers going to and thro from supermarkets. Some to and thro the hospital, and one getting his prescription.

Only one was a social visit to their family, which just happened to be the best job of the day.

Card is defo the preferred way of paying for both me and the punters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:33 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Today was definitely busier than yesterday and the weekend. Still crap, but not super crap.

Vast majority non drivers going to and thro from supermarkets. Some to and thro the hospital, and one getting his prescription.

Only one was a social visit to their family, which just happened to be the best job of the day.

Card is defo the preferred way of paying for both me and the punters.

They have asked us for a (token) gesture of good will at the end of each week. I’m happy paying a % of what I earn as long as my bills are covered during this time.

I was really expecting to come out today and scrape the barrel. But to be fair mate. If it stays like this. I will survive. I can pretty much put by anything over the bills onto the following weeks bills and keep going until I have a buffer.

Then I won’t have to dip into saved cash. Something I am trying darn hard not to do.

It has been a while since my last post before today. I just like to thank a few of you guys for the assistance from pm s and posts when I started this trade.

For flexibility. I can not highlight how important the job has been to allow me to watch my son grow up. Self management skills are a MUST though to earn a living.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:27 pm 

edders23 wrote:
council phoned me up this morning we can work as long as I give the drivers the choice but must not allow front seat passengers and carry hand sanitizer which is just not available

one little local shop has a small stock they are asking £9.80 for a 100ml bottle :shock: not at that price

I bought a pack of 10 x 200ml Hydrogen peroxide 9% off ebay, diluted it down by 3 to 1 with water and then popped in with a bit of cheap aftersun gel and it works a treat......i just used put in whatever old small plastic suncream bottles were lying about for convenience.

I guess you could use Dettol or such like in the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:57 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
edders23 wrote:
council phoned me up this morning we can work as long as I give the drivers the choice but must not allow front seat passengers and carry hand sanitizer which is just not available

one little local shop has a small stock they are asking £9.80 for a 100ml bottle :shock: not at that price

I bought a pack of 10 x 200ml Hydrogen peroxide 9% off ebay, diluted it down by 3 to 1 with water and then popped in with a bit of cheap aftersun gel and it works a treat......i just used put in whatever old small plastic suncream bottles were lying about for convenience.

I guess you could use Dettol or such like in the same way.

I have some TCP and strong mouthwash but have today managed to get a 250ml bottle from Superdrug although it is listed as antibacterial not anti viral however I managed to get some gloves from pound stretcher \:D/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:58 pm 

shops are not particularly busy and I think now the panic shop is out of the way will be getting better stocked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:38 pm 

edders23 wrote:
shops are not particularly busy and I think now the panic shop is out of the way will be getting better stocked

Indeed, went into local Asda today and they had everything I wanted, even if the mushroom soup wasn't the brand I wanted.

Defo a first world problem. 8-[

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:35 pm 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Indeed, went into local Asda today and they had everything I wanted, even if the mushroom soup wasn't the brand I wanted.

You BUY mushroom soup??? I make all my own soups now. I have 200ml of soup twice a day and a main, small meal plus fruit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 pm 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

You BUY mushroom soup??? I make all my own soups now. I have 200ml of soup twice a day and a main, small meal plus fruit.

Oh Grandad.

How the other half live. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 pm 

westgatelad wrote:
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Oh Grandad.

I have lost 23lb in 6 weeks so far.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 am 

grandad wrote:
westgatelad wrote:
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Oh Grandad.

I have lost 23lb in 6 weeks so far.

well done Pete =D>