Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 3:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Handbacks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22382
Location: A City near Birmingham
Who has handed back rented cars and PDA's?

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8169
In the 1000s in Sefton

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45395
Location: 1066 Country
wannabeeahack wrote:
Who has handed back rented cars and PDA's?

Not sure locally but plenty have.

Some through the horrid financial situation, but many due to drivers just not wanting to die.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1924
Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
Who has handed back rented cars and PDA's?

Not sure locally but plenty have.

Some through the horrid financial situation, but many due to drivers just not wanting to die.



Many going to other jobs on offer where they are guaranteed a wage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45395
Location: 1066 Country
Disco Dave has handed his motor back.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/uber-dri ... s-17997376

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5914
Sussex wrote:
Disco Dave has handed his motor back.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/uber-dri ... s-17997376

I've posted this in the News section.

Mabye a good idea to keep a record of stuff like this. HMRC will want evidence that you've lost business due to Covid-19 to be eligible for the self-employment grants.

What evidence they'll need, or whether they'll just rubber-stamp applications we won't know, so maybe good idea to keep a record of stuff like this.

Like everything else, I suspect the vast majority of applications will just be rubber-stamped, and they'll maybe just select the odd one or two to provide evidence...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:24 pm
Posts: 230
The announcement had nothing in it stating if you had to cease working or not.

There isn’t a hc or ph driver out there making anywhere near the taxable threshold right now. So to be honest. No one needs to prove anything. The three months pay for your declared self assessment is going to be very welcomed by each and every one of us. Working still or not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:02 pm
Posts: 12
The Guardian article says they will not be calculating the amount of profit lost you get it if it’s 5% or 100% it also says you can keep working and still claim the grant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5914
westgatelad wrote:
There isn’t a hc or ph driver out there making anywhere near the taxable threshold right now. So to be honest. No one needs to prove anything. The three months pay for your declared self assessment is going to be very welcomed by each and every one of us. Working still or not.

Indeed.

But while it's self-evident to the vast majority of us that profits are down due to Covid-19, that isn't how these things work. It's a condition of the grant that you "have lost trading profits due to COVID-19".

So how do you prove that if HMRC challenges your claim? Doubt it will happen in vast majority of cases, and most claims will be rubber-stamped, but I suspect some *will* be challenged.

And while the vast majority in the trade will have self-evidently lost profits, I daresay there's the odd driver somewhere doing better than normal out of it.

For example, if a driver is doing only school contracts, and they're continuing to get paid, then obviously there's no loss. In fact, they're presumably making more than normal if they're getting paid yet not incurring any additional costs - fuel, most obviously, but also wear and tear on car.

Again, for the vast majority the loss in profits will be obvious. But in other sectors in particular, it won't be so clear cut. Some small shops run by self-employed people will no doubt go under because of it all. But some shops selling essentials might do rather well out of it all. And even if a shop has lost some profit, how precisely would you attribute that to Covid-19? A business could easily be 5% down for a whole host of reasons, so it would depend on whether HMRC asks for evidence, and what kind of evidence they would require to link a drop in profits to Covid-19.

I'm not trying to be alarmist, just trying to think of evidence that might be useful to present to HMRC if they ask for proof of lost profits.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5914
Hamish mcsporran wrote:
The Guardian article says they will not be calculating the amount of profit lost you get it if it’s 5% or 100% it also says you can keep working and still claim the grant

Indeed, but again if you're only 5% down, how do you prove to HMRC that that's attributable to Covid-19?

And, for example, if you take the headline and strapline to the Disco Dave piece at face value then he wouldn't be eligible for the grant, in my opinion. Anyone else agree or disagree?


Leeds' 'Disco Dave' Uber driver forced to quit as fares plummet to just £3 a day

Yasar Aziz, who is known to customers as 'Disco Dave', has regretfully had to give up being a taxi driver due to the coronavirus pandemic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:02 pm
Posts: 12
I can’t see what we could provide as evidence of lost income other than next April’s tax returns, it deffo open to abuse and I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more random investigations after all this is over. Stuart What’s the bit i am missing about disco Dave that makes him exempt?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:24 pm
Posts: 230
I will gladly give my datahead to HMRC. (Seen as it is less than a mile from my house) I will even drop it in for them.

I can’t fudge the difference in trend from my years as a driver to this years so far.

I simply can’t fiddle reality.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 18194
westgatelad wrote:
I will gladly give my datahead to HMRC. (Seen as it is less than a mile from my house) I will even drop it in for them.

I can’t fudge the difference in trend from my years as a driver to this years so far.

I simply can’t fiddle reality.

You don't have to do anything with HMRC. They will automatically calculate and pay you 80% of your average monthly profit for the last 3 years up to the end of February 2020.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22382
Location: A City near Birmingham
grandad wrote:
westgatelad wrote:
I will gladly give my datahead to HMRC. (Seen as it is less than a mile from my house) I will even drop it in for them.

I can’t fudge the difference in trend from my years as a driver to this years so far.

I simply can’t fiddle reality.

You don't have to do anything with HMRC. They will automatically calculate and pay you 80% of your average monthly profit for the last 3 years up to the end of February 2020.


what if i dont want it?

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:02 pm
Posts: 12
From what I understand HMRC contact you and ask you to fill out a online form if you wish to claim the grant


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group