Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Handbacks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 am 

Who has handed back rented cars and PDA's?

Post subject: Re: Handbacks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:10 pm 

In the 1000s in Sefton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:11 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Not sure locally but plenty have.

Some through the horrid financial situation, but many due to drivers just not wanting to die.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 pm 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Not sure locally but plenty have.

Some through the horrid financial situation, but many due to drivers just not wanting to die.

Many going to other jobs on offer where they are guaranteed a wage.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:26 pm 

Disco Dave has handed his motor back.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/uber-dri ... s-17997376

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Disco Dave has handed his motor back.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/uber-dri ... s-17997376

I've posted this in the News section.

Mabye a good idea to keep a record of stuff like this. HMRC will want evidence that you've lost business due to Covid-19 to be eligible for the self-employment grants.

What evidence they'll need, or whether they'll just rubber-stamp applications we won't know, so maybe good idea to keep a record of stuff like this.

Like everything else, I suspect the vast majority of applications will just be rubber-stamped, and they'll maybe just select the odd one or two to provide evidence...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 am 

The announcement had nothing in it stating if you had to cease working or not.

There isn’t a hc or ph driver out there making anywhere near the taxable threshold right now. So to be honest. No one needs to prove anything. The three months pay for your declared self assessment is going to be very welcomed by each and every one of us. Working still or not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:30 am 

The Guardian article says they will not be calculating the amount of profit lost you get it if it’s 5% or 100% it also says you can keep working and still claim the grant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 pm 

westgatelad wrote:
There isn’t a hc or ph driver out there making anywhere near the taxable threshold right now. So to be honest. No one needs to prove anything. The three months pay for your declared self assessment is going to be very welcomed by each and every one of us. Working still or not.

Indeed.

But while it's self-evident to the vast majority of us that profits are down due to Covid-19, that isn't how these things work. It's a condition of the grant that you "have lost trading profits due to COVID-19".

So how do you prove that if HMRC challenges your claim? Doubt it will happen in vast majority of cases, and most claims will be rubber-stamped, but I suspect some *will* be challenged.

And while the vast majority in the trade will have self-evidently lost profits, I daresay there's the odd driver somewhere doing better than normal out of it.

For example, if a driver is doing only school contracts, and they're continuing to get paid, then obviously there's no loss. In fact, they're presumably making more than normal if they're getting paid yet not incurring any additional costs - fuel, most obviously, but also wear and tear on car.

Again, for the vast majority the loss in profits will be obvious. But in other sectors in particular, it won't be so clear cut. Some small shops run by self-employed people will no doubt go under because of it all. But some shops selling essentials might do rather well out of it all. And even if a shop has lost some profit, how precisely would you attribute that to Covid-19? A business could easily be 5% down for a whole host of reasons, so it would depend on whether HMRC asks for evidence, and what kind of evidence they would require to link a drop in profits to Covid-19.

I'm not trying to be alarmist, just trying to think of evidence that might be useful to present to HMRC if they ask for proof of lost profits.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:44 pm 

Hamish mcsporran wrote:
The Guardian article says they will not be calculating the amount of profit lost you get it if it’s 5% or 100% it also says you can keep working and still claim the grant

Indeed, but again if you're only 5% down, how do you prove to HMRC that that's attributable to Covid-19?

And, for example, if you take the headline and strapline to the Disco Dave piece at face value then he wouldn't be eligible for the grant, in my opinion. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Leeds' 'Disco Dave' Uber driver forced to quit as fares plummet to just £3 a day

Yasar Aziz, who is known to customers as 'Disco Dave', has regretfully had to give up being a taxi driver due to the coronavirus pandemic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:24 pm 

I can’t see what we could provide as evidence of lost income other than next April’s tax returns, it deffo open to abuse and I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more random investigations after all this is over. Stuart What’s the bit i am missing about disco Dave that makes him exempt?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:18 pm 

I will gladly give my datahead to HMRC. (Seen as it is less than a mile from my house) I will even drop it in for them.

I can’t fudge the difference in trend from my years as a driver to this years so far.

I simply can’t fiddle reality.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 am 

westgatelad wrote:
I will gladly give my datahead to HMRC. (Seen as it is less than a mile from my house) I will even drop it in for them.

I can’t fudge the difference in trend from my years as a driver to this years so far.

You don't have to do anything with HMRC. They will automatically calculate and pay you 80% of your average monthly profit for the last 3 years up to the end of February 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:13 am 

grandad wrote:
westgatelad wrote:

You don't have to do anything with HMRC. They will automatically calculate and pay you 80% of your average monthly profit for the last 3 years up to the end of February 2020.

what if i dont want it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am 

From what I understand HMRC contact you and ask you to fill out a online form if you wish to claim the grant