Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 2:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Business Rates
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:33 pm 

I've just taken another look and before you get to the form filling bit, you need to click to show the type of business you have ie company, self employed etc and that then changes the question boxed you need to complete.

Bill :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:25 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I also have a problem in that business rates are only paid on part of the premises the rest are occupied by me and reading the government guidance that makes me ineligible. I have also seen mention of a rates holiday for businesses but i didn't get offered that either

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:34 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I also have a problem in that business rates are only paid on part of the premises the rest are occupied by me and reading the government guidance that makes me ineligible. I have also seen mention of a rates holiday for businesses but i didn't get offered that either

Do you have The Business Rates account number Yes or no

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:52 pm 

grandad wrote:
The business rates grant is for businesses that pay business rates on their premises direct to the local authority. Businesses that qualify will have already been sent a letter telling them what to do. Basically if you qualify you just confirm your rates number and a couple of other bits and give your bank account number. The payment is automatic when they have your bank details.
Unfortunately for us, our office is in a business park and we pay our business rates in with our rent and the business park owner pays the rates to the Council. This means that we do not qualify for the grant at the moment and because the rateable value of the business park us more than £51,000 the park are not eligible either. so far our council has paid out over £4,000,000 in the grants but there are still over 400 qualifying businesses in the borough that have not sent their bank details in yet.

shafted both ways then

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:56 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:
The business rates grant is for businesses that pay business rates on their premises direct to the local authority. Businesses that qualify will have already been sent a letter telling them what to do. Basically if you qualify you just confirm your rates number and a couple of other bits and give your bank account number. The payment is automatic when they have your bank details.
Unfortunately for us, our office is in a business park and we pay our business rates in with our rent and the business park owner pays the rates to the Council. This means that we do not qualify for the grant at the moment and because the rateable value of the business park us more than £51,000 the park are not eligible either. so far our council has paid out over £4,000,000 in the grants but there are still over 400 qualifying businesses in the borough that have not sent their bank details in yet.

shafted both ways then

We are hopeful that the Government may change the criteria. We will have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:49 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:
no the SKDC one asks for your companies house registration details and it is NOT an optional box
Where it asks for your company name that is registered at company's house just put your trading name in. The box that asks for your company registration number says if applicable or something like it.

Indeed, don't know if South Kesteven District Council have changed the form, but section 4 says:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/Response ... xJSUo2Ny4u

SKDC wrote:
4.Company number (as registered with Companies House) - Enter an 'X' if not applicable

Which is easy enough - if you business is not registered as a company then you just enter 'X'.

Section 3 perhaps slightly trickier:

SKDC wrote:
3.Business name (as registered with Companies House)

But I can't see anything which suggests that the support is dependent on the type of business entity - ie sole trader, partnership or limited company.

And I don't think a sole trader has to be registered with Companies House - I'm certainly not, and although I'm just an owner-driver, you could have a substantial business operated as a sole trader.

So I don't know if that's just a minor error on the SKDC form. But as Edders seems to be the only potential applicant on here, and he says he's not eligible because of the rates situation, then it's all academic.

But that's the bottom line - eligibility is based on the payment of rates, not whether the business is a sole trader, partnership, limited company or even a plc.

Bill, Datamaster wrote:
I've just taken another look and before you get to the form filling bit, you need to click to show the type of business you have ie company, self employed etc and that then changes the question boxed you need to complete.

Maybe I'm missing something, but can't see that, Bill - is that on the SKDC website, or elsewhere?

This is the relevant SKDC page here, and it just directs you to the form I've linked to above:

https://investsk.co.uk/businessgrants/

Problem perhaps as usual that the Westminster Government has set the rules, but is leaving it to individual local authorities to administer it. So we'll now have 300+ local authorities all designing their own application forms, which will all be slightly different, and some may have errors or be misleading in some way.

And many of these local authority websites are difficult enough to navigate at the best of times, but with all the Covid-19 stuff now tacked on - and tacked in a bit of a hurry, no doubt - it's all become a whole lot worse :-|

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:02 am 

Edders wrote:
Incidentally if you haven't already looked there is a link to click on on the gov.uk tax website but it just tells you that you can't apply until mid may and after that your application has to be vetted and a decision made so can't see anything being available from that scheme till maybe September or October as there will be 5 million applications to trawl through which will probably take 6 months plus

How do you work that out?

The official Government page was updated on 14 April (almost three weeks after the original version), and it doesn't say anything about a different timescale. It just repeats the original timetable, as I understand it:

HM Government wrote:
The online service you’ll use to claim is not available yet. HMRC will aim to contact you by mid May 2020, and will make payments by early June 2020.

I suspect the delay for applications is because they'll want to do all the legwork to get it up and running by mid-May, and so they're aiming to pay the grants in June.

At a rough guess I think the grants will be made almost automatically for most applicants, in order that they can get the cash out fairly quickly. And that any questions will come at a later date 8-[

So I wouldn't be too pessimistic about the timescale at this stage.

Or at least I'm not, because I'm assuming the payments will be made in June so I don't have to go grovelling to the landlord about the rent. Again :x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 am 

StuartW wrote:
Edders wrote:
Incidentally if you haven't already looked there is a link to click on on the gov.uk tax website but it just tells you that you can't apply until mid may and after that your application has to be vetted and a decision made so can't see anything being available from that scheme till maybe September or October as there will be 5 million applications to trawl through which will probably take 6 months plus

The official Government page was updated on 14 April (almost three weeks after the original version), and it doesn't say anything about a different timescale. It just repeats the original timetable, as I understand it:

HM Government wrote:
The online service you’ll use to claim is not available yet. HMRC will aim to contact you by mid May 2020, and will make payments by early June 2020.

I suspect the delay for applications is because they'll want to do all the legwork to get it up and running by mid-May, and so they're aiming to pay the grants in June.

At a rough guess I think the grants will be made almost automatically for most applicants, in order that they can get the cash out fairly quickly. And that any questions will come at a later date 8-[

Do not think any payments will be made quickly,probably be lucky if they start being made in July running into next year.

Or at least I'm not, because I'm assuming the payments will be made in June so I don't have to go grovelling to the landlord about the rent. Again :x

Do not think payments will start in June,most likely will still be waiting at turn of the year,no money left in pot for taxi drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:01 am 

heathcote wrote:
StuartW wrote:
Edders wrote:

HM Government wrote:

Do not think any payments will be made quickly,probably be lucky if they start being made in July running into next year.

Do not think payments will start in June,most likely will still be waiting at turn of the year,no money left in pot for taxi drivers.

This will all be borrowed money anyway my contention is that there will be 5 million applications to be individually vetted so either they will need every inland revenue staff member working 24/7 on it or it will take a lot longer than 2 weeks.

there may well be a few getting payments in June but I am being realistic and assuming it will take 3 months to deal with the numbers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:31 am 

I am pretty sure that the vetting will be done by computer with only a small number being checked manually. Don't forget all of your tax returns will already be in the system and provided your claim is in line with what you have submitted the payment will come out very quick.
The rates grant is being turned around in days in most cases.
The furloughed employee grant can be claimed from today and is expected to be paid within 6 days.
Mind you I haven't got into the site yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:04 am 

Having taken further advice from the FSB I have filled the form in by putting an x in each of the required fields that don't apply. I'm still not sure that I qualify but filled the form in anyway and we'll see what transpires

PS Grandad I think that your landlord can apply on your behalf BUT it might be that the whole building is above the 51000 rateable value threshold so although split into individual units may not be eligible

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:36 am 

edders23 wrote:
Having taken further advice from the FSB I have filled the form in by putting an x in each of the required fields that don't apply. I'm still not sure that I qualify but filled the form in anyway and we'll see what transpires

PS Grandad I think that your landlord can apply on your behalf BUT it might be that the whole building is above the 51000 rateable value threshold so although split into individual units may not be eligible

Did you get a reference number?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:38 am 

edders23 wrote:

Yes, the rateable value of the business park is well in excess of the £51,000 threshold. There are 107 businesses operating out of there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:46 am 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Yes, the rateable value of the business park is well in excess of the £51,000 threshold. There are 107 businesses operating out of there.

That is why I am saying that the Bricks and mortar Grant is not enough for this trade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:37 pm 

Don't think it is for any trade but it's what is on offer