Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:58 pm 

The elephant in the room?

How do you keep two metres apart in a saloon car?

Surely the only vehicles that should be legally allowed to work as taxi/ private hire should be purpose built taxis with a separate passenger compartment? It’s insane that ph cars are picking up 1 to 4 passengers with no distance being observed?

Easy for me to say that as the owner driver of an E7 I know, but many businesses are closed because they can’t keep their distance, so why is it different for taxis and ph?. Discuss.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:20 pm 

jimbo wrote:

Surely the only vehicles that should be legally allowed to work as taxi/ private hire should be purpose built taxis with a separate passenger compartment? It’s insane that ph cars are picking up 1 to 4 passengers with no distance being observed?

Easy for me to say that as the owner driver of an E7 I know, but many businesses are closed because they can’t keep their distance, so why is it different for taxis and ph?. Discuss.

Totally agree you Jimbo, I still can’t believe the council/government/police are allowing it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:27 pm 

got my vinyl screen up, max 2 passengers in the rear, plus masks plus gloves...

if they want to stop me working legally i want £2000/week compo

happy to oblige

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:33 am 

x-ray wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Totally agree you Jimbo, I still can’t believe the council/government/police are allowing it.

My 8 seater PH would easily keep me 2 metres away from a passenger in the rearmost seats though not two or more passengers 2 metres from each other.

But even a partitioned hack couldn't keep two or more than two passengers apart by two meteres....it would mean one in there only if you wanted that level of spacing.

Besides....even a partitioned hack is not a hermetically sealed airtight capsule and would offer little more protection to driver or customer of that offered by a mask and rubber gloves.

Anyhow....modern vehicles have an air circulation system that makes your partition count for nowt...your all breathing and sharing the same air and whatever's in t every few seconds....not a great argument.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:10 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

happy to oblige

£2k a week compo? :-s

£2k a *month* and I'd quite happily retire 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:27 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
But even a partitioned hack couldn't keep two or more than two passengers apart by two meteres....it would mean one in there only if you wanted that level of spacing.

Besides....even a partitioned hack is not a hermetically sealed airtight capsule and would offer little more protection to driver or customer of that offered by a mask and rubber gloves.

Anyhow....modern vehicles have an air circulation system that makes your partition count for nowt...your all breathing and sharing the same air and whatever's in t every few seconds....not a great argument.

Firstly, it wouldn’t matter if the passengers weren’t two metres apart (if they were from the same household) as long as they were two metres from the driver.

Secondly, don’t you think a partition would protect you from a passenger coughing/sneezing ? Especially if the driver was also wearing a mask and gloves ? (I know what I’d prefer)

Thirdly, most vehicles have a switch to control the recirculating air function, mine has. I also have a separate air system for the rear that I control and that cannot be overridden by the rear passenger.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:33 pm 

The new track and trace app will trigger if you have been within 2 metres of a person displaying symptoms for 15 minutes which would suggest that a short taxi journey should be safe.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:05 pm 

Quote:

A reasonable point, but not IMO an elephant in the room issue.

Driving around all day I see vans with more than one person in the front, bin lorries with more than one person in the front, scaffold lorries with more than one person in the front, hospital transport with more than one person in the front. I could go on. In short those currently working in the saloon taxi/PH trade are not unique.

Public transport is never going to be able to meet the criteria being laid down for the general public. Take buses, they are spacing out the seats on which punters can sit on, but to get to those seats the public must walk down the isle passing within inches of other punters.

Same with planes, the boss of Heathrow recently said social distancing on planes, and in airports is impossible.

As indicated yesterday, despite the dimbo wearing his facemask upside down, the NHS are passing work to our saloon trade. Would they be doing that if a big fat lawsuit was going to follow at some time?

So like most things in this trade, it's down to each of us to look after ourselves. But this isn't something that's being hidden or not talked about.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:22 am 

x-ray wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

Firstly, it wouldn’t matter if the passengers weren’t two metres apart (if they were from the same household) as long as they were two metres from the driver.

Secondly, don’t you think a partition would protect you from a passenger coughing/sneezing ? Especially if the driver was also wearing a mask and gloves ? (I know what I’d prefer)

Thirdly, most vehicles have a switch to control the recirculating air function, mine has. I also have a separate air system for the rear that I control and that cannot be overridden by the rear passenger.

My Argument is that it's not that a partitions not the deal breaker with regards your safety you think it is and it's certainly not enough of a reason for hacks with it to be the only vehicle allowed for transporting people in small numbers..a PH or un-partitioned hack should be used with a mask if the drivers happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:23 pm 

StuartW wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

happy to oblige

£2k a week compo? :-s

£2k a *month* and I'd quite happily retire 8)

My £2000 is my school run, id have to pay a subbie firm to cover it or get a fine off county

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:24 pm 

bloodnock wrote:

fan on full in the front.... on blow not suck

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:15 am 

If you’re over 60 and still working you’re playing Russian roulette. I’ve just read the latest govt advice and it’s this;
Go back to work, stay as safe as you can, you might die.
If we can’t stop working for financial reasons, well, that must be awful.
Best we can hope is the spike in reinfection creates another lockdown and more grants. Outside of that we’re either dead, hungry or lucky.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:55 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I don't think being over or under 60 makes any difference round here the few deaths we have had have all been UNDER 30

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:47 pm 

jimbo wrote:

Seems to be an awful lot of ph, uber, Addie Lee, etc. Installing chocolate fireguards in their saloon cars, to try and convince the travelling public this is for the safety of driver and passenger. It isn’t. A double decker bus, normally seating 90 passengers can now have no more than nine. Yet a saloon taxi/ ph can carry four passengers plus a driver? Is this why taxi/ph drivers are one of the highest proportion of victims of covid 19? Go figure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 pm 

jimbo wrote:

Posted this a month ago. And now PH are clamouring to fit chocolate fireguards between themselves and the great unwashed. These useless contraptions vary from cling film to a frame made of scaffolding pictured elsewhere, which would have broken my neck, incidentally, in the collision I was involved in three weeks ago, the way it is fitted between the top of the seat and the headrest. Anyone asked their insurance company about these ludicrous modifications?