Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Accident yesterday.
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 am 

I was in a serious RTA yesterday in my private car. On the by pass an elderly driver (93) in an M Reg Daimler pulled out of a road junction and stopped in front of me. Slammed on my brakes but hit her car at about 30 mph. Air bags deploy and I can’t see a thing, for a few seconds sat wondering what the heck just happened. Wife sat alongside me, but we are both surprisingly more or less ok.
The relative lack of injuries was down to seat belts and air bags. They saved us from serious injuries for a fact. The next second my car had called the emergency services automatically. Didn’t know it could do that. We were taken to hospital to be checked over, whiplashed, and I mean really whiplashed! A few bruises, wife wrenched her back, and I feel like I’ve been punched in the face and have lost a front tooth, but other than that, we are ok. Try even did a brain scan on me, but they didn’t find anything, which will be no great surprise to edders! Car a write off. Old lady in other car they had to take the roof off to release her, don’t know how she is. We are happy to be alive, and thank Ford for building such a safe vehicle, and especially thank the ambulance crews (2) fire and rescue (4) and police (6) who helped us, and of course the hospital staff in A&E who cared for us and discharged us home.
Both a little sore after our ordeal but very, very happy to be alive.
Had to promise the family I’ll wear my seat belt at all times in the Taxi now.

Post subject: Re: Accident yesterday.
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am 

jimbo wrote:
I was in a serious RTA yesterday in my private car. On the by pass an elderly driver (93) in an M Reg Daimler pulled out of a road junction and stopped in front of me. Slammed on my brakes but hit her car at about 30 mph. Air bags deploy and I can’t see a thing, for a few seconds sat wondering what the heck just happened. Wife sat alongside me, but we are both surprisingly more or less ok.
The relative lack of injuries was down to seat belts and air bags. They saved us from serious injuries for a fact. The next second my car had called the emergency services automatically. Didn’t know it could do that. We were taken to hospital to be checked over, whiplashed, and I mean really whiplashed! A few bruises, wife wrenched her back, and I feel like I’ve been punched in the face and have lost a front tooth, but other than that, we are ok. Try even did a brain scan on me, but they didn’t find anything, which will be no great surprise to edders! Car a write off. Old lady in other car they had to take the roof off to release her, don’t know how she is. We are happy to be alive, and thank Ford for building such a safe vehicle, and especially thank the ambulance crews (2) fire and rescue (4) and police (6) who helped us, and of course the hospital staff in A&E who cared for us and discharged us home.

I’m glad your ok Jimbo, the imps can’t afford to lose anymore fans.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:11 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Glad to hear it wasn't more serious

but that Lincoln bypass seems to have such a bad record and yet it's quite a good road as long as you respect it like all roads

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:26 am 

Glad you survived it Jimbo.

Hope you and your better half get over it quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:41 am 

That was a lucky escape. Please to hear that you are both relatively OK.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:58 am 

Glad your all OK, ive always said my accidents and been on private trips of short distances yet ive driven all over the UK in vans and 7.5tonners with only close calls

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:24 pm 

One of the drivers here had two similar accidents within a few months - he showed me the dashcam footage on his mobile phone of a lady driver pulling out in front of him from a notorious junction in Dundee.

Don't think he was injured in either accident (he's got an eight-seater), but the usual insurance and repairs hassle probably caused more mental stress than a minor physical injury would.

Anyway, glad to know you and the wife have come out of it all relatively unscathed, Jimbo [-o<

Doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if you'd been driving a Mk1 Cortina 40 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:43 pm 

Wishing you,your wife and the other lady involved a speedy recovery Jimbo.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:02 pm 

StuartW wrote:
[-o<

Doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if you'd been driving a Mk1 Cortina 40 years ago.
I doubt many MK one Cortina's would have been still on the road in 1980. They stopped making them in 1966.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:31 pm 

grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:
[-o<

I doubt many MK one Cortina's would have been still on the road in 1980. They stopped making them in 1966.

Certainly not many, but sounds about the age of the car my dad would have bought :oops:

But I should maybe have said *50* years ago, because the car I was thinking about in particular was a Mk1 Cortina my dad bought, and that must have been about the time I started school, so around 1970.

Still remember how pleased I was because he bought the navy blue four-door Cortina, which I'm sure was £225 :-o

There was a burgundy coloured one beside it in the showroom but it only had TWO DOORS [-( and it was only £175, and as my mum and dad were pretty pi$$ poor that extra £50 was probably about two or three weeks wages.

In fact thinking back I'm surprised that we were able to afford a car from any kind of showroom at all, although it certainly wasn't new or even nearly new, or whatever.

But I still remember where we were driving when it went round the clock, which was a big achievement back then 8)

Anyway, certainly no airbags back then, and can't even remember if it had seatbelts. Probably did, but they were pretty cumbersome to use when they were first fitted to cars (as I'm sure you might remember better than me) and I'm pretty sure we never wore them to start with.

Of course, then came the Clunk Click campaign - led, of course, by Jimmy Saville :oops: - then compulsory seatbelts, and the rest is history.

And which I'm sure Jimbo is pretty pleased about today =D>

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 pm 

Quote:
Wife sat alongside me, but we are both surprisingly more or less ok.

Quote:
Car a write off. Old lady in other car they had to take the roof off to release her, don’t know how she is. We are happy to be alive, and thank Ford for building such a safe vehicle, and especially thank the ambulance crews (2) fire and rescue (4) and police (6) who helped us, and of course the hospital staff in A&E who cared for us and discharged us home.

Brilliant new that you are both fine, I have a Ford and the auto ring system which I hope I never use.

Quote:

When I go out of town I always put my belt on, maybe I should do so when working locally. :-k

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:59 am 

grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:
[-o<

wish i had a Mk1 1500gt in the garage, better yet a Lotus

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:09 pm 

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2 ... ortina+mk1

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:18 pm 

Quote:
even did a brain scan on me, but they didn’t find anything, which will be no great surprise to edders

And most of us, :lol:
Glad you and the boss are ok though, just take it easy for a few weeks as further injury's could show up

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:57 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
When I go out of town I always put my belt on, maybe I should do so when working locally. :-k

I'm the same don't bother round town when jumping in and out the car but if I go out of town usually do

Anyway in Brighton your limited to 20 MPH so probably don't need it anyway

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !