Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:04 am 

heathcote wrote:
If L/As were to be the data controller I would expect them to purchase and pay for the system to be put in the vehicle also I would expect them to insure the equipment.
No one would be controlling anything I purchase other than me.

Bit like saying they should purchase your taximeter, and that you should be controlling the taximeter, not them?

Rightly or wrongly the politicians have seen fit to regulate these things, so not really that different from regulating taxis and taximeters. It maybe feels different because it's a relatively new thing rather than something that's been around for years. But I can't really see any real difference in principle.

Of course, the law is a bit messy and unclear, and practices and enforcement vary.

But like taxi fares and speed limits, it's just another aspect of government law and regulation that we'll have to get used to.

Personally I would avoid any inward-facing camera and simply go for a conventional dashcam, and to that extend avoid any regulatory or licensing implications. Of course, I realise that in the bigger cities and for drivers who feel more vulnerable they really need an inward-facing camera, and to that degree will be subject to regulation in some shape or form :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:43 am 

StuartW wrote:
heathcote wrote:
If L/As were to be the data controller I would expect them to purchase and pay for the system to be put in the vehicle also I would expect them to insure the equipment.
No one would be controlling anything I purchase other than me.

Youve got a shock coming...lol