Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stamford Video
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:44 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
A (non local) business supplying building stone has decided to produce a promotional video as our town is considered to be the finest in Britain (architecturally speaking).

The taxi rank makes a very brief appearance (about 0.5 seconds) see if you can spot it but otherwise have a look at where I ply my trade (when there is any)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8tg18G7KQ

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject: Re: Stamford Video
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:23 pm 

Looks very nice, similar to Lewes.

But not many folks bustling about, in fact I think we saw more ducks than people walking. 8-[

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:12 am 

Nice video film-wise, but didn't like the editing style, especially the rapid changes of scene and those whooshing noises (as one of the two comments below the video also says).

Not the best music either, in my book at least. Something a bit more classical and a more conventional editing style would have been better [-(

(Music should be more sedate and less quirky/upbeat, in my opinion.)

And I missed the taxi rank 8-[

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 am 

My son lives between Stamford and Grantham. He describes them as too different universes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:48 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:
My son lives between Stamford and Grantham. He describes them as too different universes.

Indeed !!! Grotsville is the pound shop capital of Britain Stamford is the Honey Pot that has always been held onto by firstly the Bishops of lincoln and latterly by SKDC to finance all their grand schemes !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:30 am 

Tom Thumb wrote:

Never been to Grantham (passed through on the London-Edinburgh train quite a few times), but I always assumed it was quite posh and (small-c and big-C) conservative, probably because I always associated it with Margaret Thatcher.

Anyway, bit of history and politics below with regard to Stamford. Apparently Peterborough's development in large part due to the railway hub built there in the 1800s, which Stamford didn't want. So although Peterborough's population has increased several-fold since then, Stamford's hasn't. But Peterborough is now Britain's 'worst place to live', while Stamord is totally the opposite.

Reminds me of the never-ending campaign by the elite of St Andrews to have the rail link reinstated - Beeching got rid of it in the 1960s, and the nearest station is five miles out of town at Leuchars.

Considering how Peterborough's rail hub contributed to the now divide between it and Stamford, maybe the elites in St Andrews should be careful what they wish for :-o

https://unherd.com/2020/08/why-stamford ... modernity/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:47 am 

the original plan for what was then known as the London and York direct was a dead straight line which would have passed 2 miles from Stamford with a station at what is now the Hamlet of Newstead.

The then Lord Burghley whilst not as powerful as some of his forebears (who managed to get the great North road moved to annexe more land to their estates) got it thrown out of parliament as it would have passed through his land and within half a mile of Burghley house. Another line was already being built west to east through the town which was also within half a mile of Burghley house but he had won a few concessions on that.

the London and York direct and a rival scheme then merged with a deviation across to Peterborough and a loop to Boston and Lincoln although the line still passes about 4 miles from Stamford. Local traders and businesses were furious and in the end he had to build another line across to a junction with the main line at his own expense ! That one shut in 1959.