UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My diet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 am 

StuartW wrote:
jimbo wrote:
And step away from that mars bar!

"A Mars Bar A Day Helps You...", er, gain a couple of pounds over a month :oops:

Or, if you forgo a Mars a day (or equivalent) you could lose a couple of pounds over a month (or at least stop gaining that amount).

Incidentally, my calculations earlier were assuming that one pound in weight equals 2,500 calories or so. In fact, it's actually 3,500 :-o

So you can actually eat slightly more than I suggested for the weight gain. On the other hand, you'd have to walk a bit further to burn off a given amount of fat.

They were just ball park figures anyway, so anyone who hasn't done the maths will get the general idea.

But, roughly speaking:

One pound in body fat = 3,500 calories

A one mile walk will burn 100 calories, so walking 35 miles would burn one pound :shock:

Which is why it's a bit easier to eat 500 calories less a day to lose weight, say. That's about two Mars Bars worth, or a large cheeseburger. That's about one pound in weight over a week.

To lose the same weight to burn off the fat would mean walking five miles per day, which would take most people two hours or more [-(

One of my colleagues at the Council has been walking 10 miles a day since lockdown and he has lost about the same ammount of weight as me. he also cut out alcohol.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:37 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
darent get on the scales now cos of lockdown

Do you have to use the scales at the same time as someone from a different Household?

they dont make em that fecking big

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:38 pm 

grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:
jimbo wrote:

"A Mars Bar A Day Helps You...", er, gain a couple of pounds over a month :oops:

Or, if you forgo a Mars a day (or equivalent) you could lose a couple of pounds over a month (or at least stop gaining that amount).

Incidentally, my calculations earlier were assuming that one pound in weight equals 2,500 calories or so. In fact, it's actually 3,500 :-o

So you can actually eat slightly more than I suggested for the weight gain. On the other hand, you'd have to walk a bit further to burn off a given amount of fat.

They were just ball park figures anyway, so anyone who hasn't done the maths will get the general idea.

But, roughly speaking:

A one mile walk will burn 100 calories, so walking 35 miles would burn one pound :shock:

Which is why it's a bit easier to eat 500 calories less a day to lose weight, say. That's about two Mars Bars worth, or a large cheeseburger. That's about one pound in weight over a week.

To lose the same weight to burn off the fat would mean walking five miles per day, which would take most people two hours or more [-(

One of my colleagues at the Council has been walking 10 miles a day since lockdown and he has lost about the same ammount of weight as me. he also cut out alcohol.

11,500 steps so far today, about 5 miles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:04 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:
jimbo wrote:

But, roughly speaking:

11,500 steps so far today, about 5 miles

Give up pies and take up dancing