UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My diet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 am 

StuartW wrote:
jimbo wrote:
And step away from that mars bar!

"A Mars Bar A Day Helps You...", er, gain a couple of pounds over a month :oops:

Or, if you forgo a Mars a day (or equivalent) you could lose a couple of pounds over a month (or at least stop gaining that amount).

Incidentally, my calculations earlier were assuming that one pound in weight equals 2,500 calories or so. In fact, it's actually 3,500 :-o

So you can actually eat slightly more than I suggested for the weight gain. On the other hand, you'd have to walk a bit further to burn off a given amount of fat.

They were just ball park figures anyway, so anyone who hasn't done the maths will get the general idea.

But, roughly speaking:

One pound in body fat = 3,500 calories

A one mile walk will burn 100 calories, so walking 35 miles would burn one pound :shock:

Which is why it's a bit easier to eat 500 calories less a day to lose weight, say. That's about two Mars Bars worth, or a large cheeseburger. That's about one pound in weight over a week.

To lose the same weight to burn off the fat would mean walking five miles per day, which would take most people two hours or more [-(

One of my colleagues at the Council has been walking 10 miles a day since lockdown and he has lost about the same ammount of weight as me. he also cut out alcohol.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:37 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
darent get on the scales now cos of lockdown

Do you have to use the scales at the same time as someone from a different Household?

they dont make em that fecking big

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:38 pm 

grandad wrote:
One of my colleagues at the Council has been walking 10 miles a day since lockdown and he has lost about the same ammount of weight as me. he also cut out alcohol.

11,500 steps so far today, about 5 miles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:04 pm 

Give up pies and take up dancing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:31 pm 

grandad wrote:
6 months ago today I decided that I should try and lose a pound or two of weight. Today I have lost 46 pounds and 7 inches from my waist. By my calculation by Easter 2022 I should have dissapeared.

New lease of life for Greenock taxi driver as he beats diabetes after losing seven stones

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/new ... en-stones/

AN inspirational Greenock taxi driver is celebrating a new lease of life as he beats diabetes after losing SEVEN stones.

Robert Hotchkiss has battled with his weight for years and finally found the diet he was looking for thanks to Slimming World.

During the Covid-19 pandemic he started to walk, clocking up to 70km a week and started to feel the positive impact on his health.

Now all his hard work paying off as he is discharged from the diabetes clinic and slims down.

Robert, 60, from Brisbane Street, said: "I just really hope I can inspire others to change their lives.

"I guess with sitting in a taxi, the weight just crept up.

"Eventually I was diagnosed with diabetes."

"I think the final straw was a holiday to Benalmadena - I couldn't move anywhere in the heat.

"I just thought to myself there and then 'enough is enough'."

Seven years ago Robert weighed almost 26 stone.

He was wearing clothes 5x extra large and his bulk was taking a big toll on his health.

The taxi driver was then diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

He joined Slimming World along with his wife Janette, 61, four years ago and together they started to lose the pounds.

When the pandemic hit Robert used the hours he wasn't working to walk an hour a day and then over the summer he stepped it up.

He now tries to get in at least eight kilometres a day and goes for longer walks at the weekend.

In November all Robert's work paid off when he was told he no longer needed to attend the diabetic clinic.

He said: "I was jumping for joy when they told me.

"I just hope I can show folk what you can do.

"You can beat diabetes, it doesn't have to be something you live with for the rest of your life."

The super slimmer continues can now comfortably wear extra large clothes, going from a chest 58-60 to 40-42.

He added: "As well as Slimming World, the walking has helped so much.

"I love getting out and exercising more.

"I have wee dips and I still put weight on sometimes, but I keep going."

Slimming World consultant Michelle Collins says she is so proud of Robert and the journey he has made.

Michelle, who runs her classes from the Greenock West United Reformed Church hall, said: "It has been a tough year with mostly virtual classes but it is all worth it to see the difference it makes to someone like Robert.

"He has worked so hard."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 pm 

That is a massive change in size.

Well done to the fella. =D>