Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vito M8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:33 pm 

I have a Euro5 Vito M8 by Cabdirect which does not have the Auto sliding doors
Anyone know if can be fitted so Auto and the cost ?
Any garage than can do it?
As sick and tired of Customers not being able to open the door or close is properly so me having to get out open it and then close it again which is very annoying ?

Post subject: Re: Vito M8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:52 pm 

rashid wrote:
As sick and tired of Customers not being able to open the door or close is properly so me having to get out open it and then close it again which is very annoying ?

It used to be part of the service given by professional TAXI drivers but does not seem today's drivers have the same standards especially if you find it annoying to have to shut a door.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:24 pm 

Shouldn’t this be in the repairs and maintenance section ?

But, to answer your question, you really don’t want the Auto sliding doors, I’m sick to death of telling passengers to “leave the doors they’re electric “ I have tried three different signs now on the outside informing them not to touch the doors but I might as well have them printed in Swahili !
As soon as it’s out of warranty and the doors start playing up I’ll be looking at removing the motors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:40 pm 

heathcote wrote:
rashid wrote:

It used to be part of the service given by professional TAXI drivers but does not seem today's drivers have the same standards especially if you find it annoying to have to shut a door.

Yes but when working nights for my own personal safety I do not want to be getting out of my cabin also with COVID-19 think it’s the safest way for both myself and the customer

As the Vito doors are heavy often passengers open the door slightly try to get in and door slams back at them which is dangerous also when closing some passengers don’t have the strength to close and always have door open light on dash which is really irritating.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:15 pm 

I never found it to be a problem with my 2010 vito and it had the push button to open from the inside in a very awkward position, on your model it’s in a much easier position. Do you keep the runners and bearings clean and lubricated ? I used to clean them with a degreaser every six months or so and when dry I used silicone spray, don’t use wd40 or grease as this stays wet and attracts dirt and grit and stops the doors running smooth and closing easily.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:49 pm 

x-ray wrote:
I never found it to be a problem with my 2010 vito and it had the push button to open from the inside in a very awkward position, on your model it’s in a much easier position. Do you keep the runners and bearings clean and lubricated ? I used to clean them with a degreaser every six months or so and when dry I used silicone spray, don’t use wd40 or grease as this stays wet and attracts dirt and grit and stops the doors running smooth and closing easily.

Yes mine had a button to open the door but it only opens not even a inch and at times doesn’t even open but have to have foot hand break on otherwise won’t work
Yes the doors are heavy even when sliding how do I go about greasing them? Where to I apply the grease ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:58 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Many moons ago when i had a Vito (old front wheel drive version) I used to find that passengers pulled so hard on the mechanism that they snapped the door handles off because they wouldn't wait for me to release the locks ! :sad:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:42 pm 

rashid wrote:
x-ray wrote:

Yes mine had a button to open the door but it only opens not even a inch and at times doesn’t even open but have to have foot hand break on otherwise won’t work
Yes the doors are heavy even when sliding how do I go about greasing them? Where to I apply the grease ?

DO NOT use grease, silicone spray is what you need, about a fiver a can. You have to clean the runners and the rollers with a degreased first ( jizzer or gunk in an aerosol) then hose it away. When it’s dry spray the runners and rollers with the silicone, it’s mostly the outside ones that get really dirty, I would only silicone the inside ones.