Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:01 am 

As an aside your UTR is a highly sensitive piece of information and as far as I can work out should only be shared with your dealings with HMRC , your accountant and your employer in certain circumstances, I think the council can ask for it but your under no obligation to supply it, even if your driving for a living

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 am 

Taxidriver11 wrote:
I’m not sure that’s an UTR, as far as I’m aware an UTR is only supplied to people who are self employed, each individual is issued with personnel tax reference number but that is not the one asked for on the forms

https://www.gov.uk/find-lost-utr-number

Both my wife and I have UTRs and we are both employees. Our staff have all got UTRs and they are all employees.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am 

To have an UTR number you must have at some point been registered for self assessment it’s the only reason you could have been issued with one, it sticks with you for life so even if stop self employment and self assessment should you restart again it will be with the same UTR

If you have a live UTR number you will be required to submit a self assessment every year until you tell them your no longer self employed and not required to submit self assessment

I wonder if your confusing the UTR for some other tax reference number?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:08 pm 

Taxidriver11 wrote:
Having questioned the Licensing department on the subject it appears to be the case that question can be left blank of N/A written in its space, it’s not a requirement under the civic government act that you need to be driving to obtain a license so the licence cannot be refused on that basis, so if not driving no need for an UTR

This is from the Gov site.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications

Where the application is not a first-time application (a renewed application) the licensing body must, before considering the application, obtain confirmation from HMRC that the applicant has completed a tax check.

An applicant will carry out a tax check by providing information to enable HMRC to satisfy itself that the applicant has complied with an obligation to notify their chargeability to tax, where such an obligation applied. The check will be completed when HMRC is satisfied the applicant has provided all information requested.

Where a HMRC failure prevents the licensing body from meeting its requirement to obtain confirmation of the completion of a tax check, that requirement will cease to apply. HMRC will also have discretion to waive the requirement where an HMRC failure prevented the applicant completing their tax check.

In cases where the licensing body has been unable to obtain confirmation of completion of the tax check for 28 days other than because of an HMRC failure (for example, where an applicant refuses to complete a tax check and therefore HMRC cannot provide confirmation that they have completed one) amendments to section 17 of the Transport Act 1985 and paragraph 1 of Schedule 1 to the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 will cause the extended licence to expire.

The above is a bit of a muddle, but the bit that will cause problems is the 'must' wording on checks. In other words a check with HMRC must take place no matter what the circumstances are.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:10 pm 

It also states that by 2025/6 this new legislation will recoup £65 million a year.

IMO a vast underestimate. :-$

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Taxidriver11 wrote:
Having questioned the Licensing department on the subject it appears to be the case that question can be left blank of N/A written in its space, it’s not a requirement under the civic government act that you need to be driving to obtain a license so the licence cannot be refused on that basis, so if not driving no need for an UTR

This is from the Gov site.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications

Where the application is not a first-time application (a renewed application) the licensing body must, before considering the application, obtain confirmation from HMRC that the applicant has completed a tax check.

An applicant will carry out a tax check by providing information to enable HMRC to satisfy itself that the applicant has complied with an obligation to notify their chargeability to tax, where such an obligation applied. The check will be completed when HMRC is satisfied the applicant has provided all information requested.

Where a HMRC failure prevents the licensing body from meeting its requirement to obtain confirmation of the completion of a tax check, that requirement will cease to apply. HMRC will also have discretion to waive the requirement where an HMRC failure prevented the applicant completing their tax check.

In cases where the licensing body has been unable to obtain confirmation of completion of the tax check for 28 days other than because of an HMRC failure (for example, where an applicant refuses to complete a tax check and therefore HMRC cannot provide confirmation that they have completed one) amendments to section 17 of the Transport Act 1985 and paragraph 1 of Schedule 1 to the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 will cause the extended licence to expire.

The above is a bit of a muddle, but the bit that will cause problems is the 'must' wording on checks. In other words a check with HMRC must take place no matter what the circumstances are.

I guess all you can do is explain that your not intending to drive or register as self employed to HMRC and only want to hold the license as a back up, so no change to your taxability is required, however if your working on the side that might be enough to put you of should it raise any suspicious