Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:55 pm 

What times we live in.

2020. Who could have foreseen what an extraordinary year it would turn out to be.

To say that the year has been difficult for the trade would be the understatement of all time.

The human cost has been shocking. In Lincoln, the Taxi (HC) has always been a small community of Thirty hacks, for over thirty five years. Since May, five owner drivers, or recently retired drivers have died, although only one has died as a result of coronavirus, and his wife died two weeks later. The other four had underlying health issues.

The business cost has been shocking too, with some licensing areas suffering much worse than others. Big cities such as London, Glasgow Cardiff have suffered devastating downturns in trade.

Drivers with vehicle payments to make, mortgages to pay. Kids to feed and clothe, are in dire straits.
I personally know of a few who are struggling but coping, but payment holidays will end, and higher loan repayments will have to be made, somehow.

A few councils are doing their best to help, but a few, unbelievably, are continuing in the same old vein, according to posts on this site, with new, updated regulations, with tighter age limits on vehicles, even proposing that all taxis be painted Ferrari red! Don’t they know there’s a war on?

My own council at least know there’s a war on. Oh, yes. They all headed for the air raid shelter in March.

They have not issued a single plate, badge, or test certificate since early March, and only issue paper licences by email, telling drivers that’s all you need. And guess what? You have to pay for the plate that you are not issued with!
So Taxi and private hire vehicles are working with no plate, no ID badge, no test certificate.

They don’t expect to be back in the “office” before March 2021.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:16 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
sounds familiar although our council are issuing plates you just have to drive 20 miles up the road to collect them :roll:

It has to be said that Hospitals can still function supermarkets, garages , solicitors,Vicars,and all manner of businesses and services where it is necessary to come into contact with the clientele but many councils have isolated themselves and refuse to allow any contact other than by email or to provide proper function even though it could well be managed safely.

Mind you I have seen the figures for Lincoln today :shock: STAY SAFE !

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:00 pm 

The first lockdown was really bad, in terms of work, the second lockdown is worse.

Folks are running out of savings/credit and the mental toll on the trade is horrible.

Next year will be better (struggle to be worse) but I wonder what % of the trade that was working in Feb 2020 will still be working in Feb 2021. :-k

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:23 pm 

Sussex wrote:
The first lockdown was really bad, in terms of work, the second lockdown is worse.

Folks are running out of savings/credit and the mental toll on the trade is horrible.

Next year will be better (struggle to be worse) but I wonder what % of the trade that was working in Feb 2020 will still be working in Feb 2021. :-k

I'm good until the summer of 2021, fter that it depends what or any School contracts I win.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 am 

edders23 wrote:
sounds familiar although our council are issuing plates you just have to drive 20 miles up the road to collect them :roll:

It has to be said that Hospitals can still function supermarkets, garages , solicitors,Vicars,and all manner of businesses and services where it is necessary to come into contact with the clientele but many councils have isolated themselves and refuse to allow any contact other than by email or to provide proper function even though it could well be managed safely.

The figures for Lincoln?

Thanks for your concern, but I’m not going to live my remaining time on planet earth under the duvet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:37 am 

jimbo wrote:

Thanks for your concern, but I’m not going to live my remaining time on planet earth under the duvet.

ill be under mine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:27 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
jimbo wrote:
edders23 wrote:

The figures for Lincoln?

But you CAN be careful :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !