Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:07 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
So far this month our trade has been almost exactly the same as November which was dire. Traffic is getting horrific as it always does but apart from around school time work is not busy at all :sad:

As far as I can tell we are the only area still suffering as people tell me elsewhere trade is picking up so my question is are we the only area where the taxis are seeing no improvement ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:33 am 

edders23 wrote:
So far this month our trade has been almost exactly the same as November which was dire. Traffic is getting horrific as it always does but apart from around school time work is not busy at all :sad:

As far as I can tell we are the only area still suffering as people tell me elsewhere trade is picking up so my question is are we the only area where the taxis are seeing no improvement ?

North East is dead as a dodo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:45 pm 

Dear Operator,

End of Term – Possible Inset Day Friday 18th
Yesterday, the Department for Education issued an announcement to schools and colleges to encourage them to designate Friday 18th December as an inset day.

We are aware that some schools are intending to make Friday 18th December an Inset day at short notice, while others are not.

Please could you ensure that you check school websites and/or check with schools directly for any change to the last day of term in respect of those schools you serve. As many schools will still be in the process of making the decision whether to take Friday 18th as an Inset day, it may be necessary to re-check websites etc over the coming days for updates. We will not pay for any transport that operates in error on an Inset day.

In line with our contract conditions, Friday 18th will not be payable if transport is not required due to being an Inset day and invoices must be submitted accordingly with the correct number of days operation. Please note that where Friday 18th is taken as an Inset day, this does not change the total number of Inset days across the academic year – i.e. there will still be 190 term days and the total number of Inset days for the academic year is still 5.

Many thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:57 am 

With the Exception of a school contract I'd estimate all my other work is around 10% of what should be the busiest time of my business year (Sept through Dec) which is normally Airport transfers for Continent country sports clients.

I fear next year more though.....No Grants, No help and possibly no work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:10 am 

Blood wrote:
I fear next year more though.....No Grants, No help and possibly no work

We've still to get another SEISS grant though, I think :?

Doubt if we'll get another 80%, but hopefully we'll get 50-70% or something like that. As long as it's not the 20% which was the initial planned figure for the grant we've just received. (Which of course was eventually increased to 80% again when lockdown was tightened.)

And did you hear about Kate Forbes' announcement today regarding Scottish Government grants to the trade? No detail, and this is all that was said:

"...a £19 million fund and one-off grants for taxi drivers."

https://www.gov.scot/news/new-gbp-185-m ... -business/

Don't know what that's all about at all, but with any luck it'll just be open to anyone with a badge or plate.

According to TaxiPoint the Welsh Government is giving quite generous grants to drivers, but it seems to be based on trade reduced by more than 80%, which is a potential can of worms. That seems to be the rough gist of it, but you can read chapter and verse here:

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/welsh ... 00-arrives

So will be interesting to see how the Scottish grants work, but if we at least got a few hundred quid it would be better than a kick in the nuts [-o<

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:06 pm 

Trade down here is better, but still way way down.

Roll on 2021.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:02 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Blood wrote:
I fear next year more though.....No Grants, No help and possibly no work

We've still to get another SEISS grant though, I think :?

Doubt if we'll get another 80%, but hopefully we'll get 50-70% or something like that. As long as it's not the 20% which was the initial planned figure for the grant we've just received. (Which of course was eventually increased to 80% again when lockdown was tightened.)

And did you hear about Kate Forbes' announcement today regarding Scottish Government grants to the trade? No detail, and this is all that was said:

"...a £19 million fund and one-off grants for taxi drivers."

https://www.gov.scot/news/new-gbp-185-m ... -business/

Don't know what that's all about at all, but with any luck it'll just be open to anyone with a badge or plate.

According to TaxiPoint the Welsh Government is giving quite generous grants to drivers, but it seems to be based on trade reduced by more than 80%, which is a potential can of worms. That seems to be the rough gist of it, but you can read chapter and verse here:

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/welsh ... 00-arrives

So will be interesting to see how the Scottish grants work, but if we at least got a few hundred quid it would be better than a kick in the nuts [-o<

You need to be careful, applying for some Scottish funding or other UK grants can bar you from other bigger grant sources and i'm not sure if it would affect a future Seiss claim.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:15 pm 

Quote:
You need to be careful, applying for some Scottish funding or other UK grants can bar you from other bigger grant sources and i'm not sure if it would affect a future Seiss claim.

They could certainly be interrelated, but we'll see when the eligibility criterion is published in the next few days.

But the brief stuff I've read suggests it's maybe all about the fact that the SEISS doesn't cover fixed costs etc, so to that extent it's maybe intended to supplement the SEISS grants rather than an either/or, but who knows?