Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Driver “shortage”
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:49 pm 

There have been quite a few posts recently, mainly from the company owners of course, bemoaning the shortage of drivers, and how customers are having to wait hours for an available car. I know this is certainly the case in my parish, where two big firms have reigned supreme for some time, but the crocodile tears they are crying are for themselves, not the poor bloody punter. I hear stories from passengers ( in my hackney carriage) of how they have been told they will have to wait hours for a PH to turn up.

The thing is, the owners, or directors, of these companies have had it far too good for far too long. Treating owner drivers like serfs, charging extortionate rates for the privilege of working for them, and telling them when to work, and not to work, even telling them to work 24 hours, in one case that came to light in Lincoln, ending with a pedestrian receiving life changing injury, and a (self employed) driver in jail, through her boss bullying them into working excess hours.

So there’s shock and surprise that people don’t want to join the trade, and so many have left the trade. There’s evidence of staff shortages in all kind of industries, not just this one. Truckers, nurses, care workers, you name it.

The gang masters better get used to driver shortages, because they are here to stay. And self driving cars won’t be their salvation either.

Face it, the gang master cab circuits are in the mire. One local operator is 100 drivers down. More to the point, he is financially £15,000, A WEEK down. You would have to have a heart of stone not to wet yourself laughing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:54 pm 

Quote:
The gang masters better get used to driver shortages, because they are here to stay.

Agree with much of what you say, but not so sure about this, although it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

But for anyone who doesn't believe what I'm saying about our gaff, this is the busiest place in town with club opening hours - hope the pop up appears, which states that it's not reopening till 7 September :-o

https://www.vicstandrews.co.uk/

And a lot of the other pubs in town are closing early and not even using their permitted opening hours.

But 7 September is when the students come back, so will be intereting to see what happens then.

But the thought of driving drunken students around at 3am again is enough to make me weep :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:48 pm 

my phone hasnt stopped ringing

ive even answered it twice

passed them on

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:17 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Fewer cars on the rank but defo not back to pre pandemic levels but it's nice to be able to pick up a few rank jobs here and there

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:08 pm 

Jimbo is spot on, in that I can't see the trade getting to the number of drivers it had pre covid for many years to come.

Part of that is Brexit, part is covid. Both these have led to many drivers leaving the trade, many of them leaving the country.

The mass influx of cheap labour from eastern and southern europe will never be repeated, and any influx of non EU immigration will be a better trained, better educated, workforce which wont touch our trade with a bargepole.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:44 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Jimbo is spot on, in that I can't see the trade getting to the number of drivers it had pre covid for many years to come.

Part of that is Brexit, part is covid. Both these have led to many drivers leaving the trade, many of them leaving the country.

The mass influx of cheap labour from eastern and southern Europe will never be repeated, and any influx of non EU immigration will be a better trained, better educated, workforce which wont touch our trade with a bargepole.

We didn't have any eastern European drivers here but 30% of drivers have left the trade and gone back to more secure employment. They were all self employed and not declaring their full income. I know one who told the tax man that he took £2000 a year after expenses so clearly he wasn't getting much help from the government.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:13 pm 

grandad wrote:
I know one who told the tax man that he took £2000 a year after expenses so clearly he wasn't getting much help from the government.

But with 8 kids his WFTC would be £800/months...........every month, every year

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:13 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:
I know one who told the tax man that he took £2000 a year after expenses so clearly he wasn't getting much help from the government.

I think it is 6 kids.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:04 am 

2nd ARG grants..........

Quote:
How much you can receive
Eligible businesses will be entitled to receive a one-off grant of £11,471.44 per business and not per property.

To complete this form, you will need to:

Supply your last two sets of full accounts and most recent management accounts showing the projection to the end of the current trading year, whereby a 25% reduction in profit is shown for the financial year.

Provide evidence (qualitatively) of how the local and national restrictions and the pandemic have impacted upon their business operation and falling profits.

Outline what other government support they have received (e.g. small business grant, extended retail grant, self-employment Income support scheme, bounce back loan, local restrictions support grant etc.)

Home based businesses to highlight if they receive any benefits (such as universal credit).

Supply at least one of the following references: business rates account number, company registration number, VAT registration number, charity registration number, unique tax reference/partnership number or national insurance number.

It is a limited funding pot which is first come, first serve.

If applications outweigh the amount available, the application process shall be closed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:23 am 

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:

I think it is 6 kids.

twins on the way