Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:25 pm 

Quote:
It isn’t. It really, really isn’t. It’s about the pulse rate, which can be set at any variable between 240, and 360,000. (Or something like) it’s a constant. If I didn’t know better, I could easily think that you lot are being deliberately obtuse.

But it's still needs to be checked.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:03 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
It isn’t. It really, really isn’t. It’s about the pulse rate, which can be set at any variable between 240, and 360,000. (Or something like) it’s a constant. If I didn’t know better, I could easily think that you lot are being deliberately obtuse.

But it's still needs to be checked.

rate increase is just a plug in job by the installers

£20 for 5 minutes work

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:47 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:

£20 for 5 minutes work

The fact that it is just a plug in job is what I tried to explain to the Council but they decided that they needed all cars to do the measured mile at the same time. one reason that they initially gave was that because it was 7 years since the last change in tariff that they all needed to be done over the mile even though some vehicles had only been on the road a few months and the annual inspection includes a section that requires vehicles to be tested over the measured mile, although I don't think this is always carried out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:20 pm 

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

£20 for 5 minutes work

The fact that it is just a plug in job is what I tried to explain to the Council but they decided that they needed all cars to do the measured mile at the same time. one reason that they initially gave was that because it was 7 years since the last change in tariff that they all needed to be done over the mile even though some vehicles had only been on the road a few months and the annual inspection includes a section that requires vehicles to be tested over the measured mile, although I don't think this is always carried out.

power trip

our 1st grant meter test was costing £35.............for the LO time

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:46 pm 

jimbo wrote:
If I didn’t know better, I could easily think that you lot are being deliberately obtuse.

Probably :badgrin:

Anyway, still can't see the relevance of the pulse rate if the meter has been reprogrammed incorrectly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:48 pm 

As for the testing procedures, for good or ill ours in Fife *all* get tested, and we get sent letters with appointment times at the council's depot soon after the tariff increase takes affect. They do them all over a few days, testing the flagfall distance and then the first tickover, I think.

At one point they intended doing them on a rolling road, but that didn't work out, so they still take them out onto the public roads.

So the procedure is basically the same as the annual inspections, which are all done in March and April rather than on a rolling basis (apart from vehicle substitutions, obviously). But obviously the meter testing is a lot quicker so just takes a few days rather than weeks.

Not sure if it's still the same in Dundee, but back 20 or so years ago they also called ALL the cars in, and had some sort of rough rota system, which I think was based on specified plate numbers over a slot of several hours, eg plates 251-300 on Tuesday morning. So although every taxi in Dundee wouldn't turn up at once, you could still have to wait in a lengthy queue.

The appointments system in Fife means we rarely have to wait long, although of course things can get delayed and a bit behind schedule :?