Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: fare increse
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:37 am 

were can I get a copy of a spreadsheet to work out a fare increase please.

The Hackney Association Ltd
bbha@btinternet.com

Post subject: Re: fare increse
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:39 am 

charles007 wrote:
were can I get a copy of a spreadsheet to work out a fare increase please.

Is this email still current for you?

bbha@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 pm 

This is the spreadsheet used by the B&H trade reps, but it can be adapted to whatever area, or whatever tarrifs a local trade requires.

Think it was set up by Bryan Roland, and I'm quite sure if he was still around he would be delighted to assist as many in the taxi trade as possible.

Including you. :shock:

Table of Fares - comparison and increase percentage table

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with that one, Charles 8-[

Don't know if it's any help to anyone, and it's more about working out what the meter would show for a particular distance rather than what Charles is asking about, but this is a spreadsheet formula for working out fares in Fife. I use Google maps to work out the distances, and then the spreadsheet works out the fare.

So anyone with a bit of spreadsheet competency should be able to modify the formula for their own area. Was quite pleased with myself when I did this [-( :oops: but be warned, it doesn't work with distances under the flagfall, and it won't work with complex fare structures like the running mile increasing or decreasing after a certain distance. Nor does it deal with waiting time or extras etc.

Anyway, this is the formula for a basic flagfall and running mile structure, and the entries are explained below:

=(ROUNDUP((((C5*1760)-900)/150),0)*0.2)+3.2

C5 is just the spreadsheet cell where the journey distance is entered in miles (eg 5.2 or 12.6 etc)

900 is the flagfall distance in yards (obviously the 1760 figure is one mile in yards, and won't change whatever the area, unless someone wants to convert it to metric distances).

150 is the distance in yards for the running mile increment. 0.2 is the increment in pounds for the 150 yards covered. So the meter is cranking up 20p every 150 yards.

The 3.2 is the flagfall in pounds, ie £3.20.

So basically four figures need changing in the formula for any basic fare structure:

The flagfall distance, which is 900 yards.

The flagfall fare, which is £3.20 (or 3.2 in the formula).

The distance for the running mile increments (150 yards).

The amount the meter cranks up for every 150 yards, which is 20p, or 0.2 in the formula.

The forumula is for Excel, but anyone with a reasonable degree of spreadsheet competency should be able to modify it for other spreadsheet packages.

And, for what it's worth, this is the formula for our T2, which has a higher flagfall, and the running mile is 25% higher than on T1.

So the flagfall here is £3.95, and the 1.25 entry increases the running mile by 25%:

=(ROUNDUP(((((C5*1760)-900)/150)*1.25),0)*0.2)+3.95

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 pm 

Quote:
Don't know if it's any help to anyone, and it's more about working out what the meter would show for a particular distance

Well yeah because it's no good having an increase if the increase doesn't have an effect, and councillors that pass increases need to see what they are passing.

You can adjust the flag, you can adjust the flag yardage, you can adjust the meter jumps, you can adjust the meter jump amounts, you can adjust the extras.

It's the easiest way to change the rates that I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:45 pm 

Well the formula doesn't deal with extras as such, but looking at the B&H card, looks easy enough to modify the formula for the basic flagfall and distance etc.

So this is T1, and shows the flagfall distance of 293 yards, and the increment distance thereafter, which is 146.7 yards:

=(ROUNDUP((((C5*1760)-293)/146.7),0)*0.2)+3

This is T4, for example, showing the flagfall price increased to £4.80, and the increment cost increased to 30p.

=(ROUNDUP((((C5*1760)-293)/146.7),0)*0.3)+4.8

But, I mean, ten different tariffs in B&H, T1-T10 :-o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:52 am 

As I said, the formula above is from Excel, but tried it earlier on OpenOffice Calc, and it didn't work :sad:

But I think it's just a question of changing the comma in the formula to a semi-colon :-o

So this is the B&H T1 formula for Excel:

=(ROUNDUP((((C5*1760)-293)/146.7),0)*0.2)+3

This is it for OpenOffice Calc:

=(ROUNDUP((((C5*1760)-293)/146.7);0)*0.2)+3

So if you copy and paste the above into either Excel or OpenOffice Calc, it should work if you put the mileage in cell C5 (or just change C5 in the formula to the cell you're using for the mileage).

Had my first go with Google spreadsheets last night, and the Excel formula can be used there as well =D>

So did a couple of spreadsheets on Google earlier, and will post the links here later today once I've checked them over again, and hopefully they may be of some use...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 pm 

Not sure if this will work, but these are a couple of spreadsheets on Google I did earlier.

Don't think you need to be signed-in to Google to view them, but not entirely sure how all this works :?

But as far as I can tell, you can download these by clicking File...Download. Then there are several options, and if you have Excel then that's the one to go for. You can also download an Open Office version, but tried that and there's a slight glitch, although it's purely presentational as far as I can see, but the Excel version is maybe the better bet if you've got that.

So you can save the Excel file to your hard drive, or whatever. But Excel might say it's in 'Protected View' mode, so you can't update it, but it's just a question of clicking the 'Enable editing' button to be able to work on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 pm 

Anyway, this is the Brighton & Hove version of the spreadsheet I use for the Fife fares. You just enter the distance in the box near the top corner, and it should show the metered fare under the various tariffs. B&H is quite straightforward, and just a couple of figures need to be changed in the formula for each tariff, but the problem with B&H is that there are ten tariffs :-o

Down the left on the Fife spreadsheet I also have a list of destinations from the ranks I mainly use, which is fine for rank hires, but obviously pre-bookings will come from various starting points, which is where the row at the top comes in useful (if all that doesn't make sense just reading it, it will make more sense when looking at the spreadsheet 8-[ )

But it's easy to add new destinations in the left hand column, then just copy the formula down the fare columns to calculate the fare for each tariff.

Likewise, if the tariff is increased, it's simply a case of changing the formulas at the top, and copying them down the spreadsheet, and all the numbers will be updated =D>

As I said, the spreadsheet was set up just to calculate fares at the existing tariff (for a quote, say), but obviously it can be adapted to show suggested or proposed tariff increases, or whatever.

But the examples on the spreadsheet use Brighton station, and I just plucked a few destinations off Google maps, and got the mileages from there, so they're probably not entirely accurate for experienced drivers dealing with traffic and the like. And, of course, the accuracy of the fare calculation depends on the accuracy of the inputted mileage.

And obviously I can't guarantee the accuracy of the spreadsheet, but think it will give a fair approximation of the fare, assuming all the numbers are input correctly.

But, for example, didn't intend rechecking the figures in the formulas, but changed my mind, and noticed at least one error, but hadn't notice that the flagfall fare actually decreases on some of the B&H tariffs, rather than staying the same or increasing.

And then the dreaded 5p appears on T9 :lol: :shock:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:43 pm 

This is another one, which anyone can probably use for a simple fare structure of flagfall and the meter clicking up at the same rate thereafter.

You can also input a %age figure where T2 etc is a simple across the board increase of 50%, for example.

But the % premium might be where things get a bit trickier, and it's not like B&H, where the flagfall and fare increments are simply increased.

So it might depend on how precisely the % is applied on the meter. For example, in Fife our T2 is roughly 25% higher, but it's only precisely 25% on the running mile, and the flagfall doesn't increase by precisely 25%, so the forumla below doesn't work by inputting 25%, but it's a fair approximation.

Also, in the past at least, some meter agents have programmed the 25% premium in by increasing the 20p increments to 25p, while others did it by reducing the distance for each 20p (which can lead to small differences on the same trip on different meters, but overall it's not significant).

But those are the kind of slight oddities that can be found when you start looking at these things, and is why it's difficult to construct an all-singing, all-dancing spreadsheet that would cover all areas and all the tarrif card stuff, unless of course you're a professional programmer.

But hopefully the spreadsheet is easy to adapt to each area that has a simple tariff structure, and at least gives an approximation to the actual fare, even if it's not 100% accurate.

And, obviously, you can use the spreadsheet as templates for each tariff, for example one spreadsheet programmed to show the T2 uplift, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0