Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:25 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
well signed on the dotted line today so I no longer have the headaches and can just be a driver :D

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:21 pm 

edders23 wrote:
well signed on the dotted line today so I no longer have the headaches and can just be a driver :D

Good man.

Just a driver is a great place to be IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:08 pm 

Living the dream, me. Sorry if things are going pear shaped out there for you guys.

All the tales of woe out there from all over the country, (and Wales) make me realise I banged out in the nick of time. I spent 37 years in my city telling other proprietors that you must, must review, and increase fares annually. Wafer thin margins can be wiped out in a heartbeat.
But you’re (E23) woes, and mine, are but nothing compared to the problems facing millions in the Ukraine. God help us all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:31 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Living the dream, me. Sorry if things are going pear shaped out there for you guys.

All the tales of woe out there from all over the country, (and Wales) make me realise I banged out in the nick of time. I spent 37 years in my city telling other proprietors that you must, must review, and increase fares annually. Wafer thin margins can be wiped out in a heartbeat.
But you’re (E23) woes, and mine, are but nothing compared to the problems facing millions in the Ukraine. God help us all.

indeed and when Putin presses that button I am told RAF Waddington is in the top 5 list of targets :sad: I wish they'd hurry up and shoot him !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:28 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I am told RAF Waddington is in the top 5 list of targets!
Is that the top 5 in the world, Europe, the UK or Lincolnshire?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:40 am 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:
I am told RAF Waddington is in the top 5 list of targets!
Is that the top 5 in the world, Europe, the UK or Lincolnshire?

Europe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:41 pm 

for the time being I am now an unemployed taxi driver so a couple of months off to have a break and reflect on things but I think I have already decided that a change of career is what I need

this trade has changed dramatically over the last 20 years and not for the better so I think it is time to depart if not for my health then for my sanity

In a year or so's time I should get my other house back from the tenants so once I can move to there and sell this one I can retire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:41 pm 

Job interview wednesday

part time dogsbody

:badgrin:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:11 am 

edders23 wrote:
for the time being I am now an unemployed taxi driver so a couple of months off to have a break and reflect on things but I think I have already decided that a change of career is what I need

this trade has changed dramatically over the last 20 years and not for the better so I think it is time to depart if not for my health then for my sanity

In a year or so's time I should get my other house back from the tenants so once I can move to there and sell this one I can retire

I did it personally nearly 3 years ago now and it was the best decision.

I was a little bit worried after doing it for nearly 8 years but just felt that I needed a change and saw the writing on the wall.

The first few years of the job I really enjoyed it but soon started to get frustrated with a few things.

A certain percentage of the public in my opinion have no respect for the industry and you can see it manifest in many different ways. People are also seem to be getting more and more angry.

The amount of taxi driver attacks I see in the monthly PHTM is shocking. I look at the amount of drivers getting abused and just think "why are you putting up with that?" Life is too short.

The risk/reward ratio is no longer favourable to operate in the trade unless you work very long hours.

I think you can still earn a good living depending on what area you choose to work but it is very stressful and do you really want to be working over 50 hours a week driving? Especially if you operate in a city with very busy roads and congestion etc. No thanks.

Not exactly a wise decision in terms of safety etc.

Currently working as a part-time food delivery driver and it is the easiest job I ever had. I am earning probably slightly more than when I was taxi driving in my last year based on the same amount of hours on a per week basis.

And I can drive whatever vehicle I like. Old or new. Small or big. Rust or no rust. Dent or no dent. And no licensing costs. Or 6 month MOT test.

And lastly no customers moaning in the back of the car.

I look back and think I was pretty stupid to do it for the amount of time I did.

I feel for anyone left in the trade. The councils are doing their best to make it close to impossible to make a decent living doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:49 am 

Quote:
I was a little bit worried after doing it for nearly 8 years but just felt that I needed a change and saw the writing on the wall.

I am just short of 32 years

takeaway deliveries is an over subscribed service round here I know of at least 1 driver that switched from takeaway deliveries to taxis plus I would prefer to work days and get some if not all weekends off although 99 percent of local jobs on offer are weekend work either care homes pubs or retail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:40 pm 

Quote:

Having a break from this trade isn't such a bad thing, but, IMO, it's hard to leave. However now is as good a time as ever to leave as there are plenty of opportunities out there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:44 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Having a break from this trade isn't such a bad thing, but, IMO, it's hard to leave. However now is as good a time as ever to leave as there are plenty of opportunities out there.

It is hard to leave and the councils know this too which is why they are trying to enforce all these ridiculous rules.

A lot of drivers have their cars on finance so leaving for another job with high monthly outgoings on a vehicle is not helpful.

If you are very early into your payments on a new vehicle say no longer than 1 year into a 6 or 7 year repayment plan then obviously it is very hard to get out of the trade.

I fully owned my vehicle when I left the trade and I always paid in full in cash for a older (10 years or so) vehicle so it was easier for me to get out of the industry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:33 am 

A bit behind with all that's going on in this thread, but good luck to those who've managed to get out of the trade =D> \:D/

It's a bit of a Catch 22 for me - worried for years that the job might eventually tip me over the edge in some shape or form. But at my age and state of mind, worried that doing anything different might do likewise, so it seems better to do nothing, and to that extent the trade is a comfort zone of sorts :?

And still got another couple of years with the car before it's up to the council's age rule, so to that extent don't have to put in a lot of hours to struggle by, because the car's paid for, my needs are modest, and (touchwood) hopefully nothing major will go wrong with the car before it gets to 10-years-old [-o<

But I'll be 60 by then, and even when I got the current car when aged about 50, the thought of simply putting another vehicle on just about killed me off :lol:

So can't see it being any easier in two years time...

If I had a flat or house worth even £100k, say, I'd probably sell up and get the hell out of the area. For good.

Unfortunately that's not the case, and although I've got a five-figure sum in the bank, apart from the car and plate that's all I've got in terms of significant assets, and I'm on the rental treadmill for life :x

My one spell of property ownership didn't go well at all, but that's been an even bigger nightmare than the trade, so probably better I don't tell all on here :-o

But at least that's why I've got a modest sum in the bank. Enough to keep me going for maybe a year or so if I couldn't work, but that's about it :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:03 pm 

Rebel-Taxi-Driver wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

It is hard to leave and the councils know this too which is why they are trying to enforce all these ridiculous rules.

A lot of drivers have their cars on finance so leaving for another job with high monthly outgoings on a vehicle is not helpful.

If you are very early into your payments on a new vehicle say no longer than 1 year into a 6 or 7 year repayment plan then obviously it is very hard to get out of the trade.

I fully owned my vehicle when I left the trade and I always paid in full in cash for a older (10 years or so) vehicle so it was easier for me to get out of the industry.

My last finance car got repo'd 4 years ago lol

theyve never asked me for the £6000 outstanding and after 6 years they cant chase it....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:04 pm 

Stuart W

we should swap stories

bet i can beat you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next